Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> When is Tinsel Too Much

Message Subject: When is Tinsel Too Much
pstrombe
Posted 7/4/2020 11:39 AM (#963012)
Subject: When is Tinsel Too Much

I prefer lakes with darker water but this year I have been finding myself on lakes with Sechi Disk readings at ten plus feet. After fishing some tinsel dressed bucktails I decided to put them back in the box and fish darker green/black and natural or black body baits and rubber. So far seems to have yielded better results. If I can see the tinsel lighting up the water column from 50 feet away I figure its overkill. Thoughts
CRK925
Posted 7/4/2020 4:00 PM (#963018 - in reply to #963012)
Subject: Re: When is Tinsel Too Much

The guy I fish with has me convinced that more natural colored baits are the way to go in all but the darkest waters. Being able to see the bait is really only beneficial to the fishermen, fish that live in dark water find a way to eat prey, of which none is brightly colored.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/5/2020 7:13 AM (#963023 - in reply to #963012)

Most of my Pike lures center around 3 colors. Black & White and I like a splash of Red around the gill area and occasionally the baits belly. I don't know if it thats good or bad but it's what I've moved towards the last 10 years.

I should add the above are just for the regular baits. The number one SUPER bait is of course Yellow with 5 Red Diamonds.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/5/2020 10:33 AM (#963027 - in reply to #963023)

I fish very clear water and I think very flashy baits work well in it. I like Kramer bro’s bucktails in the sun. Fish go nuts over those. To me, if it moves it’s food and the flash gets their attention. Just my opinion.
bbeaupre
Posted 7/7/2020 3:23 PM (#963129 - in reply to #963012)
Subject: RE: When is Tinsel Too Much

Me thinks, we think too much about what muskies want. I fish very very clear water mostly, caught many fish on flashy and bright colors. I have also caught a lot on natural colors. Yep
FlyPiker
Posted 7/18/2020 9:49 PM (#963497 - in reply to #963012)

Use what gives you confidence. When I fish for species that I can legit catch 10 or more in an outing is when I’ll experiment with color. When I’m fishing for one fish, with a small shot at 2 or more... I’m just going to use what keeps me engaged with the lure and its action as much as possible. My opinion is that staying alert and using the tool as effectively as possible is more important than the color of that tool.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 7/19/2020 8:54 AM (#963500 - in reply to #963012)

I like tinsel for the flash, and the large profile it creates. If you look at a tinsel double for instance, the skirt flairs-out to the entire vortex of the blades. I don't think shiny is really ever bad...just play with color in different light conditions. With that being said, we throw marabou, bucktail and rubber skirted spinners too...#5 to #13 blades.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)