Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lost and Found Fathers Day Gift

Message Subject: Lost and Found Fathers Day Gift
ToTheWoods
Posted 6/25/2020 2:27 PM (#962704)
Subject: Lost and Found Fathers Day Gift

This Past weekend my son and I fished a Musky tournament Saturday and did pretty well. As I had stated in a Cabela's Rant post earlier I had completely forgotten about this tournament. Well I had also made plans with my daughter and son in law to go musky fishing Sunday morning. Being beat and tired from the previous day I didn't want to drop out of my plans with my daughter Sunday so all of us went out Sunday morning.

About 30 minutes after boating a fat 40" I went to cast and in the process hit the reel and closed the bail. Throwing a large bait the rod jumped out of my hand and went to the bottom of the lake. I quickly hit spot lock on the trolling motor and mark a waypoint on the fish finder. We tried in vain for an hour to retrieve the $1000 custom rod and reel. The kids tried to dive for it, we tried to drag bottom and hook it. Nothing.

My son and I went out last night with my underwater camera to see if we could locate it. Low and behold we found it with the camera sitting in 10' of water. I dropped the camera down, hit spotlock on the trolling motor and also dropped an anchor as close as I could. I was going to try and get the rod back by hooking it with another rod but the kid says " Dad I got this". He dove into the water and on attempt on came up empty. I re-positioned the boat a little and he dove again. As he came to the surface he had the rod and reel in both hands high over his head in a victory pose. I was amazed to get it back.

The cool kicker was that there were two boats around us while we were looking and both watched as the rod and reel came to the surface. I heard one boat tell the story to another a little ways down the shore. For the rest of the night we ran into no less than 5 other boats that commented on the catch of the day which allowed me to continue to give my son more accolades.

HOW COOL IS THAT

MartinTD
Posted 6/26/2020 6:27 AM (#962733 - in reply to #962704)
Subject: Re: Lost and Found Fathers Day Gift

Very cool story. I've lost rods in shallower water before so I'd consider yourself very lucky. Good job on your son's part! It's a lot harder than it sounds to dive down 10' and retrieve something. Water clarity must have been decent for him to be able to find it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)