Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Revo Toro Rocket versus Shimano TranX 400

Message Subject: Revo Toro Rocket versus Shimano TranX 400
webs1981
Posted 6/22/2020 2:39 PM (#962573)
Subject: Revo Toro Rocket versus Shimano TranX 400

Good Afternoon,

I was hoping I could get some advice. I'm deciding between the Revo Toro Rocket (7.6:1), Shimano TranX 400 (7.6:1) and possibly the Revo Beast (7.3:1) baitcast reels.

I will be using this for jerkbaits, glidebaits, and larger plastic baits. I was wondering what most of you all prefer or have been using. I'm normally a Abu Garcia guy, but have heard great things about the TranX 400 besides the plastic reel handle.

Also, the ratio on the Revo Beast is a tad bit slower than the 7.6:1 that is on the Revo Toro Rocket & Shimano TranX 400, and was wondering if that is a deal-breaker.

Any thoughts you guys can offer would be great!

Thanks in advance!

CincySkeez
Posted 6/22/2020 2:43 PM (#962574 - in reply to #962573)
Subject: Re: Revo Toro Rocket versus Shimano TranX 400

I usually prefer the not super fast ration of jerk baits but to each their own, it is great for rubber and beavers though. Honestly there's not really a comparison between the two. Buy the Tranx
CRK925
Posted 6/22/2020 5:32 PM (#962579 - in reply to #962573)

Tranx
kdawg
Posted 6/23/2020 7:32 AM (#962589 - in reply to #962579)

Shimano guys will say get the Tranx, Abu guys will say get the Toro Rocket. Either way you eventually go, both reels will get the job done. Kdawg
muskiehunter51
Posted 6/24/2020 9:35 PM (#962658 - in reply to #962573)

I just spent 10 hours yesterday throwing with a rocket and I own a Tranx 400 I used the exact lure with both reels so this is apples to apples. The rocket will cast longer distance than the Tranx all day long, no matter what your settings. The rocket requires more effort to pull the lure the same speed (double showgirl to be exact) ergonomics aren’t an issue on either reel. I prefer the Tranx for the smooth operation of the entire unit. I’m a shimano guy but after using the rocket, it’s by no means a bad choice.
tolle141
Posted 6/24/2020 11:58 PM (#962663 - in reply to #962573)

Tranx. I sold all of my abu and daiwa products after the Tranx came out. It's just that good
Ruddiger
Posted 6/25/2020 7:08 AM (#962667 - in reply to #962658)

muskiehunter51 - 6/24/2020 10:35 PM

I just spent 10 hours yesterday throwing with a rocket and I own a Tranx 400 I used the exact lure with both reels so this is apples to apples. The rocket will cast longer distance than the Tranx all day long, no matter what your settings. The rocket requires more effort to pull the lure the same speed (double showgirl to be exact) ergonomics aren’t an issue on either reel. I prefer the Tranx for the smooth operation of the entire unit. I’m a shimano guy but after using the rocket, it’s by no means a bad choice.

Howdy,

Hard to disagree with this take. By no means is the Rocket a bad reel and the cosmetics are amazing (I think it's the best looking reel on the market).

That said, there is a difference between what companies like Shimano and Daiwa are doing when they actually make their own reels, and what Abu is doing when they are basically contracting with Korean OEM manufactures.

Making the reel from the ground up makes a difference.

Take care,

Ruddiger
kdawg
Posted 6/25/2020 7:11 AM (#962668 - in reply to #962663)

tolle141 - 6/24/2020 11:58 PM

Tranx. I sold all of my abu and daiwa products after the Tranx came out. It's just that good
HMMM. Yet, you were able to sell all of your abu and daiwa reels to folks who may think those reels are just that good to buy. Second hand. Kdawg
Fishysam
Posted 6/25/2020 1:18 PM (#962698 - in reply to #962573)

Some of you all need to calm down, I have a rocket and pull jr. cowgirls with it just fine. Has held up fine as I have. Casts great, I honestly want to put the extended double paddle on my 6.2? Beast and that double paddle on the rocket. Less power but smaller turning for what I generally do with the rockets, pick up slack line on jerkbaits.

I haven't used the tranx 400.
RLSea
Posted 6/25/2020 10:02 PM (#962728 - in reply to #962573)

I have a couple of Tranx 400s, A and HG, and some Abu's that are just as good. Korea makes some fine reels. My Tranx by the way are made in Malaysia. Design control and manufacturing capability are what is important no matter where things are made.
hahdawg
Posted 6/26/2020 8:09 AM (#962737 - in reply to #962658)

muskiehunter51 - 6/24/2020 9:35 PM

I have both reels, and I mostly feel the same way. The Rocket casts absurdly far. Other than that, I can't say that there are any noticeable differences. Both are great reels.
muskiehunter51
Posted 6/26/2020 9:31 AM (#962740 - in reply to #962737)

hahdawg - 6/26/2020 8:09 AM

muskiehunter51 - 6/24/2020 9:35 PM

I have both reels, and I mostly feel the same way. The Rocket casts absurdly far. Other than that, I can't say that there are any noticeable differences. Both are great reels.

I was extremely impressed with the casting distance on the rocket, had never used one before and found it takes less effort to cast just as far as the Tranx. I could easily own both and be perfectly happy.
vegas492
Posted 6/26/2020 2:29 PM (#962751 - in reply to #962573)

I have a Tranx 400 High Speed. And I have a Beast.
They are both amazing reels. Both are very smooth, but I think the Traxx is smoother. Like silky smooth as Zohan would say.
I didn't like how either of them pulled double 10's. So, I put the big power handle on the Beast (not the smaller one) and it is simply amazing. I can burn 10's and not wear myself out.
And somehow I like the Beast for glide baits, too. Less rod movement, more of a snap of the wrist with the reel.
The Beast with that big power handle is my go-to reel on my go-to rod. Bucktails and glide baits.
I use the Tranx High Speed on my big rubber rod.
And I love them both. But if I were to only have one...I'd go Beast simply because of the 3 handles that came with it. They do make a difference.
But I will say this about the Beast...when you have that big handle on there, it will move forward on your cast and disengage the casting feature. It'll sound terrible and make you feel really bad. To get around this, I simply cock the rod and reel to where the reel is on it's left side when I cast. Problem solved.
muddymusky
Posted 6/26/2020 6:59 PM (#962761 - in reply to #962573)

I prefer Abu over Shimano because Abu casts farther.
RyanJoz
Posted 6/30/2020 11:19 AM (#962892 - in reply to #962573)

My experience is just the opposite with casting distance. Both reels had the bearings cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and were lubed with TSI-301 (same oil PIKEMASTER used to use for bearings). The tranx will outcast the beast or rocket by about 5 ft consistently.
BassThumb
Posted 7/10/2020 1:21 PM (#963283 - in reply to #962573)

I have not had any Abu musky reels, but I have had owned numerous Abu STX for bass. I also have owned and currently own a pile of Shimano Curados, which are the same price class as the Abu STX. The Curados have held up far better over the years, for what it's worth. Shimano reels are also easier to completely break down, clean, and replace parts if needed. Doing so with Abu is a bit of an ordeal.

I use Shimano Tranx 400ahg for my musky reels. Another one is in the mail. Great reels.
Takem
Posted 12/21/2020 6:32 PM (#972828 - in reply to #962573)

I have both. Can’t say I prefer one over the other. I’ve only used the rocket a handful of times so far though. If you want to pick up a lot of line they both seem like good choices. If it’s a toss up the size might decide for you. The rocket is a good bit bigger but feels good to palm. I think I’m working my way up to a tranx 500. 300 bucks at a time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)