Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod holders for flying

Message Subject: Rod holders for flying
Southern Muskies
Posted 6/17/2020 11:57 AM (#962404)
Subject: Rod holders for flying

I was wondering what the best rod holder would be for flying? Looking at flying into Int. Falls late this summer and heading to Lac Seul. Need a rod holder big enough for 8'6" rods. Or is shipping rods the best way to go. Only worry; is will they show up.
joh10891
Posted 6/17/2020 12:40 PM (#962407 - in reply to #962404)
Subject: RE: Rod holders for flying

I've been wondering the same thing too. One I've been looking at is the Plano Jumbo Airliner Telescoping Rod Case. I know SKB makes a higher-end rod holder too, and some folks do a DIY PVC rod holder. But the Plano might be a good fit
Southern Muskies
Posted 6/17/2020 2:29 PM (#962410 - in reply to #962407)

I was just looking at the Plano jumbo rod carriers on line. Might be the way to go. Would love to ship and not worry about carrying through the airport; and would highly consider if i knew they would be waiting on me.
true tiger tamer
Posted 6/18/2020 6:52 AM (#962436 - in reply to #962404)
Subject: Re: Rod holders for flying

I'd consider shipping them ahead as I've had rods damaged by TSA inspectors on at least 3 different occasions with a couple different rod holders. Rod tubes seem to attract extra attention from TSA employees, who often aren't too gentle in their inspections. Good luck.
Windy City
Posted 6/21/2020 9:28 AM (#962538 - in reply to #962404)

I did this last year (Chicago to Lac Suel) and used the Plano Jumbo Airliner to transport three 2 piece musky rods and 4 smaller 2 piece walleye rods. No issues whatsoever.
But, expect to have to pay extra and handle, drop, and pick up this holder differently than every other piece of luggage you have due to "oversize" requirements.
I used a TSA lock to keep it secured and we used some bubble wrap/microfibers to protect things.
Another thing I learned is I would not place my reels or any gear in a Pelican style case. That added a bunch of brain damage in extra forms and questions.
If you can ship what you want to a trustworthy contact at the site via Fed Ex, I would do so.
Hopefully your date is late in the year as Canada doesn't seem to be willing to open their border "soon".
Southern Muskies
Posted 7/14/2020 1:17 PM (#963380 - in reply to #962404)
Subject: Re: Rod holders for flying

Thanks Windy City ! Just moved my reservations to Aug. of 2021. Plenty of time to prepare for trip now. I think shipping rods will be the best way to go. I think the folks at Moosehorn Lodge will take care of me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)