Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> boat trailer

Reply New post
Message Subject: boat trailer
apeoples
Posted 6/13/2020 10:50 AM (#961269)
Subject: boat trailer

I have 20' Lund Alaskan with a roller trailer and am considering going to a bunk trailer does anyone have any suggestions.
pklingen
Posted 6/13/2020 8:19 PM (#961278 - in reply to #961269)
Subject: Re: boat trailer

bunks IMO.......
Brian Hoffies
Posted 6/13/2020 8:35 PM (#961279 - in reply to #961269)
Subject: RE: boat trailer

Run the boat to your dealer. Ask the cost of him converting yours this winter. Dealers like off season work for their guys.
ToddM
Posted 6/13/2020 9:57 PM (#961281 - in reply to #961269)

What is the reason for switching? IMHO the roller trailer gets you into more lakes in that area easier.
apeoples
Posted 6/14/2020 7:49 AM (#961289 - in reply to #961281)

It does come off the trailer easily, but loading it can be a real pain if your by yourself if you try drive it on the trailer as soon as you let off the throttle it rolls right back off. There are a couple other things I don't like about the trailer so just looking to get some opinions on different brands and styles.
TCESOX
Posted 6/14/2020 10:55 AM (#961298 - in reply to #961269)

Tighten your throttle while you run up front to latch your bow, run back and drop the throttle, put in neutral, turn off, tilt motor up, climb over bow of boat, crank up tight, get in truck and pull boat out. With that boat, I would want a roller trailer. Maybe a different model if your unhappy with other features.
VMS
Posted 6/14/2020 2:52 PM (#961303 - in reply to #961269)

Hiya!!

another option, given your boat trailer can be adjusted if need be, is a drotto latch. Instead of spending a grand on a new trailer or probably half that to convert to bunks, for roughly $250 you can get a drotto, install it in about 10 minutes, drive up, let it latch and pull the boat out. Launching...pull the lever, boat goes back, park the boat, move the trailer.

I tried one on my rangertrail trailer and if I could have done some adjusting to get everything right, it'd be on, but unfortunately, I was unable to make things fit without needing longer bunks.

I would check this out...it's a really cool item!! Check out the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LM5fa8TAYA

Steve
sworrall
Posted 6/14/2020 3:52 PM (#961305 - in reply to #961269)

We had a similar issue with our Lund Impact roller trailer. We solved it completely by adding a set of 3' carpeted bunks so they 'grab' the bow as it loads and holds it enough when unloading it doesn't become dangerous to be holding the launch rope. Worked like a charm. Amazon was the source for the brackets and bunks, took about a half hour to install.
Pepper
Posted 6/14/2020 8:03 PM (#961310 - in reply to #961269)

I have had the Dortto Latch on my trailer for a couple because of the roll back issue. It works as advertised. I will say a scrapped some paint off by the hook. I suppose that was due to operator error. I would install it again.
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/15/2020 9:40 AM (#961322 - in reply to #961310)

I tried to install the Dorado but the eye on my boat was too small and it simply would not latch properly. The folks at Dorado understood and issued a full refund.

When power loading by myself I just leave the boat in gear under power and climb out and secure as already mentioned.

Now the launches with “no power loading” are the ones that make things difficult and where a roller trailer might come in handy because there's no way I could crank my boat up without using some "finesse".

I start by putting the trailer in a little deeper, and then depending on the angle of the launch, load the boat on the trailer with more speed. The "finesse" part is that I leave the boat in gear idling to help assist while I crank it up the rest of the way. That makes all the difference...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)