Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Is it worth it!?

Message Subject: Is it worth it!?
ajschn06
Posted 6/5/2020 9:56 AM (#960862)
Subject: Is it worth it!?

I've been enamored by Musky fishing since I was 12 years old... Even then, there was nothing close. I convinced my dad to put me together a little musky pole and a few lures and every so often we would make the trek a couple of hours away to fish from the shore of some podunk lake in the middle of Indiana. I'd say we made 4-6 trips there, with absolutely nothing to show for it. We got back to Minnesota a year or so later and I was visiting a friend near St. Cloud. We spent the week hitting areas around his house and again, nothing. At this point I've probably got 20-25 hours of casting on me and nothing.

The last day there, we hit an area that was right on the dam. Lots of current, and rocky. I threw everything in my box, which wasn't much, but an assortment of 6-7 lures. I was down to one lure... a beat up Blue Fox #6 spinner with no tail. BOOM! The next few minutes were a blur, but we got in on shore. It measured 43" and I had to sit on the ground next to it to take a picture because I couldn't lift it.

Fast forward 20 years and I haven't been able to do much musky fishing. I kept my old tiny set up that I threw for a few hours here and there when I went on vacation with my wifes family in northern Wisconsin, but nothing serious at all. I've always been tempted to put something together, and try to plan a few weekend trips somewhere every year, but it's always so intimidating. I'm going to spend $300 on a rod and reel and another 3-400 on a small assortment of musky lures for what? I'd be lucky to get out and 3-4 days a year. As finicky as these things are and how difficult they can be to catch, that can't possibly be worth it... can it?

I've told myself no for so long but I'm not sure I can anymore. If I get out twice a year and it takes me 4-5 seasons to boat another musky, is that worth it? It's been 20 years since my last... I'd do anything for another one...
CincySkeez
Posted 6/5/2020 9:58 AM (#960863 - in reply to #960862)
Subject: Re: Is it worth it!?

Yea, what are you waiting for. Also maybe try to be a little more strategic about your trips.
muskiewade
Posted 6/5/2020 10:01 AM (#960864 - in reply to #960862)

You'd do anything for another one? Pretty simple, increase your chances and hire a guide.
FishinXtreme
Posted 6/5/2020 10:10 AM (#960867 - in reply to #960862)

Seems to me like its still on your mind. Still haunting you. You need to locate a numbers spot. A slump buster. When I'm in a slump I head to the rivers. Catch a couple small river fish to get some confidence back.
ajschn06
Posted 6/5/2020 10:20 AM (#960868 - in reply to #960864)

muskiewade - 6/5/2020 10:01 AM

You'd do anything for another one? Pretty simple, increase your chances and hire a guide.

I've considered it.... but part of it for me is the thrill of the hunt and wanting to do it myself!

Oh... and $$

Edited by ajschn06 6/5/2020 10:23 AM
ajschn06
Posted 6/5/2020 10:22 AM (#960869 - in reply to #960863)

CincySkeez - 6/5/2020 9:58 AM

Yea, what are you waiting for. Also maybe try to be a little more strategic about your trips.

I'm getting there... I've been collecting some lures here and there, I've got a rod and reel on the way. I'm not sure if I'll make an attempt to go anywhere during the summer months, but I'm looking at a weekend or two when it cools down. Spending the summer trying to get my son to stay in the boat a bit longer!
CincySkeez
Posted 6/5/2020 10:35 AM (#960870 - in reply to #960869)

If I had to limit my lure choice, I'd buy a few bucktails, one prop topwater and a pull pause bait like a suick.
ajschn06
Posted 6/5/2020 10:46 AM (#960871 - in reply to #960870)

CincySkeez - 6/5/2020 10:35 AM

If I had to limit my lure choice, I'd buy a few bucktails, one prop topwater and a pull pause bait like a suick.

Limit probably not a good word- lures are the least of my concerns. I just don't want to buy more than I'll have an opportunity to use. So far I have:

6" Jake
Super Shad Rap Custom Painted
Micro Medussa
Llungent 22 short
A couple of double 6's
Musky Killer
Single 8

A couple more I'd like to add:

Swimmin Dog
Prop topwater
Suick
Spring Bulldawg or Mini Medussa
Llungent 22 Long
Jointed DR or Jointed Baby DR
A couple double 8's

I can't imagine needing any more than that...

I went with a Revo Toro S and Veritas Toro 7'9" MH Rod (rated 1-4 oz) and I think that will be a setup I can use locally for big pike as well...
ajschn06
Posted 6/5/2020 10:49 AM (#960872 - in reply to #960871)

Biggest question for lures I have is colors!? I prefer natural looking or black/white, but I feel like I should have some bright chart or firetiger somewhere, but when I reach into the box I always tend to avoid those..
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/5/2020 11:38 AM (#960874 - in reply to #960872)

With your limited time and experience you absolutely should hire a guide for a full day. You'll learn so much about the sport. Then after that you can go on your own and actually catch one or two. You're absolutely right, they are very difficult to catch. It can take many years of experience to be a decent fisherman. A guide will shorten that time right up in 8 hours. Get a good well known one on real muskie water.

Lure Color is like th 20th most important thing. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Is it worth it? I often wonder how other people have a fulfilling life if they don't fish muskies or do something equally as challenging.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 6/5/2020 11:40 AM
IAJustin
Posted 6/5/2020 11:40 AM (#960875 - in reply to #960872)

1) Lures color should never be the biggest question Save your money run now -With only one muskie under your belt you still have a chance to not become an addict... HA!
Brian Hoffies
Posted 6/5/2020 11:51 AM (#960876 - in reply to #960862)

Memories are a tricky thing. Fish with what you have, if you catch one great, if not enjoy the day and the outdoors. It cost you nothing more then time. If you grab a guide, bunch of baits maybe a rod you pressure yourself to succeed. You seem concerned about money, if true you don't want the pressure of "I spent all this money and I can't catch a fish". So a nice day with good weather becomes a bad day because you caught nothing.

Another thing is, don't be so sure everybody telling you how many Muskies they catch is fact. Guys have been known to stretch the truth about fishing.
North of 8
Posted 6/5/2020 12:17 PM (#960879 - in reply to #960874)

Kirby Budrow - 6/5/2020 11:38 AM

With your limited time and experience you absolutely should hire a guide for a full day. You'll learn so much about the sport. Then after that you can go on your own and actually catch one or two. You're absolutely right, they are very difficult to catch. It can take many years of experience to be a decent fisherman. A guide will shorten that time right up in 8 hours. Get a good well known one on real muskie water.

Lure Color is like th 20th most important thing. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Is it worth it? I often wonder how other people have a fulfilling life if they don't fish muskies or do something equally as challenging.

I agree with the idea of hiring a guide. You will get a crash course in the sport, techniques, what to look for in terms of structure, when to fish what and hopefully get to use some good equipment. Let the guide know ahead of time what you wish to get out of the day, that knowledge and experience are a priority so that they can be focused on your goals.
vegas492
Posted 6/5/2020 2:34 PM (#960891 - in reply to #960862)

Another cool thing about a guide is that you are usually using their gear, which should be top of the line. Their baits...etc. No investment needed.
14ledo81
Posted 6/5/2020 3:08 PM (#960894 - in reply to #960862)

Another vote for the guide.

If I only planned on getting out a couple times a year to muskie fish, I would sell all my muskie gear and plan on spending the $800 (2 trips) or so. Would be cheaper than what I spend now, but of course I do fish roughly 30 times a year now.
ToddM
Posted 6/5/2020 3:12 PM (#960895 - in reply to #960862)

Look at buying used. You can get more for your money and will last a long time based on how little you will get out. As one person mentioned be strategic in your trip planning. Are you limited to where you can fish or can you plan where you want to go? I would plan to fish action water with a shot at size in your situation. Experience for you will be slowly gained. Fishing low density water only fishing 3-4 days a year you will be years between fish.
Jeremy
Posted 6/5/2020 4:01 PM (#960898 - in reply to #960862)
Subject: RE: Is it worth it!?

In the early 80's it took me 7 yrs to put my first fish in the boat. Barely legal. then I took a 41" er and it took me another handful of years to top that! This was all just fishing hard for 3 week on our summer vacation, not much more.

Just don't get wrapped up in all the "gotta-haves". Hire that guide if you can, it'll teach you a ton. Don;t worry about boating a fish as much as mining him for info. you will remember...

Lures. Get a couple bucktails, the easy to pull kind like dbl #8s' or even single bladed. Start with black and gold/silver. Get another in another color like red. A black or Wild Sucker-colored Suick, 9". A couple topwaters to suit...the fun is in reading/deciding which will you like.

Learn some good knots. Learn how to Fig. 8 and always leave your bait in the water on every retrieve, longer than you think, on the Fig. 8's.

Musky fishing is supposed to be fun not a numbers game. Enjoy your time out on the water. It will happen and chances are you'll have your finger up your nose that first time or three. All part of the game...

Keep it fun. If it's not fun yer missin' out........And don't spent a ton of $$$ either, that comes later!

happy hooker
Posted 6/8/2020 2:29 PM (#961032 - in reply to #960898)

Still waiting ,,,,for them to legalize marijuana in this state so I can move on
ajschn06
Posted 6/8/2020 2:33 PM (#961034 - in reply to #961032)

happy hooker - 6/8/2020 2:29 PM

Still waiting ,,,,for them to legalize marijuana in this state so I can move on

Aren't we all...
nar160
Posted 6/12/2020 10:52 AM (#961234 - in reply to #960862)

Muskies are hard to catch, but it is doable.

I wouldn't waste too much time and energy fussing over equipment at this point. One decent rod/reel and a dozen standard muskie lures that allow you to cover a variety of depths and cover situations should work.

By far the most important things are (1) fishing where the fish are and (2) fishing when they bite. Some suggestions:

- Find water nearby if possible so you can fish it repeatedly without having a big time/money investment.
- If multiple options exist, choose smaller simpler lake.
- Do research on the lake: check Muskies Inc Lunge Log, review Navionics map in detail, water clarity/weeds, DNR surveys for muskie density and forage, forums for reports. Try get a handle on where they might be located and how people are or have caught them. Try get an idea of what time of the year most of the fish are caught.
- Fish lake repeatedly. Always cover sunrise or sunset with your trip. Target times before T-storms if possible. Make note of any action you have.
- Join local Muskies Inc. Get tips, maybe go fishing with people.
tswoboda
Posted 6/12/2020 11:02 AM (#961235 - in reply to #961234)

nar160 - 6/12/2020 10:52 AM  By far the most important things are (1) fishing where the fish are and (2) fishing when they bite.

This is all you need to know. Best advice I've even seen on here.

pstrombe
Posted 6/12/2020 11:12 AM (#961236 - in reply to #960862)

Lots of good advice here. I walked away from musky fishing for 20 years and chased bass. But after catching a lot of bass over the years I came back for the challenge of the chase. IMO the one thing I did not do properly for decades was a good figure 8. I literally took a nice fish away from my front seat boat partner last fall because my figure 8 was better. My catch rate has gone up and we are hooking 50% of the fish at the boat.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/12/2020 8:46 PM (#961256 - in reply to #960862)

Is it worth it?? Well... I went the guide route for many years. I went 17 guided days without a fish in the bag. Spent more than a few of those days fishing mad. Learned an awful lot, though. Went lure-stupid like most do. Then I went to Eagle lake.... You will struggle to get "good" at catching muskies until you encounter enough of them to polish your figure 8 skills. Had a day where I raised 24 fish before I lost count. Caught 1. ONE.... Mad?? #*#*. Mad doesn't even begin to describe it. Then another, and another, and... Holy crap! That's right! I like fishing... Easy from there. Muskies are easy to catch. They are just fewer and farther between than other fish. If you are fishing to catch, muskie fishing will suck more often than not. If you are fishing to fish it will be "That's muskie fishing" most of the time and "holy crap that was awesome!"the rest.
MKevin
Posted 6/15/2020 3:39 PM (#961337 - in reply to #960862)

Just started fishing for Muskies last summer as I'd been targeting Northerns pretty much all my life. First time out I rented a boat since it was the first time I went to that particular place, I always rent a boat to see if I can handle the water with my kayak.

Nothing all morning when I suddendly spot a big arch under the boat, back up, throw my believer and see that big ass fish following it to the boat, through the fig 8 and head back down to the depths. Mark the fish on the GPS and sit down because my heart is just about to explode. Im really anything but mad at that point, the smile is cracking all the way to to my ears. Its on.

I did not catch a fish that day but it was a successful one anyway. I had meaningful data.

First thing back home I head to my desktop and go straight to navionics.com to find all similar spots around where I saw that fish. One of those similar spot is 500ft from the launching spot.

Head there the following weekend with my yak and I kid you not 3rd cast into the spot I identified BAM! jerkin a regular dawg in the same color scheme as the believer the prior week. I learned alot during those 2 outings with the most crucial thing being: I'd need a much bigger/stable kayak to target those fish... I mean, I was literally scared for my life trying to un hook that fish without getting her out of the water and the release was quite embarassing to say the least.

Is it worth it? Well it was worth a new Yak, 2 new rod and reel set ups, about 500$ in Muskie lures and a mad wife to me.

General fishing tips for improving your catch rate. Try and fish the same water all the time, take notes and study your charts. My 1st Muskie is a direct result of missing my 1st muskie.

For those of you who want to witness my elegant 1st muskie release, there ya go... Laugh it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JksE7xVGps

muskycpr
Posted 6/16/2020 9:43 AM (#962357 - in reply to #960862)

You know--I like this question and thread. Fished all my life. I've seen them while fishing for pike and they used to scare the crap out of me. I caught my first muskie after hiring a guide first. Went back out to the same lake my guide took me to in my 14' with a 6 hp on the back end. Threw a Mepps Musky Killer and landed a 38". Ohhhh--that's what a musky feels like and acts. I dove head first into the sport. Made a bunch of mistakes along the way. It sort of came full circle for me a couple weeks ago. I had not caught anything the last year, including a trip to Lake of the Woods. I was literally screwing around testing some old baits and threw on another Mepps. Whamo! My PB for WI. I could barely lift her in the boat. I like MKevin's youtube video above. Yes, these fish are hard to catch but when you do, oh my. What a thrill!
ajschn06
Posted 6/16/2020 12:44 PM (#962362 - in reply to #960862)

I got a lot of great info from the thread and a number of people reached out as well. If nothing else, I definitely feel a lot more comfortable taking a stab at this than I did before!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/17/2020 9:12 AM (#962396 - in reply to #960862)

Muskies are river fish! Up your odds by fishing below dams. Investing in more lures or new rods & reels is not likely to pay off.

You already answered your own question.
"The last day there, we hit an area that was right on the dam. Lots of current, and rocky. I threw everything in my box, which wasn't much, but an assortment of 6-7 lures. I was down to one lure... a beat up Blue Fox #6 spinner with no tail. BOOM!"

Where do you live now? Is there a local muskie club near you?

Saying hire a guide is like saying "buy a boat"..No guide will guarantee you a fish. However, there are some that put fish in the boat on a very consistent basis with their clients. As someone else said they have gear too, unless you want to use your own.

Here's a couple of guides I know here on the WI River system including Petenwell and Castle Rock in central WI:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/offthehookguide/photos/?ref=page_interna...
https://muskiemarks.com/

Have fun!
Al
Masqui-ninja
Posted 6/17/2020 7:34 PM (#962420 - in reply to #960862)

Muskies aren't average fish...Eff average! I say go full-send, I hope you catch a monster!
djwilliams
Posted 6/22/2020 5:02 PM (#962578 - in reply to #960862)

If you don't have a boat get a canoe and start fishing some rivers. MN and WI have great river fishing for muskies. I'll bet you could research and find places that have decent populations. I went to my first MuskieFirst outing at age 40, got my first boat shortly thereafter, and have regularly muskie fished every year since then. Even after chemo and 10 days after cancer surgery I was back at it. I have netted my son's first muskies and since then their largest muskies. Great memories. I am taking my brother in law muskie fishing when he and my sister go to Leech with me mid July.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)