Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Great Muskie Story

Message Subject: Great Muskie Story
Jimbo
Posted 6/3/2020 10:07 AM (#960724)
Subject: Great Muskie Story

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/while-battling-cancer-he-would-sle...
caught-an-enormous-musky-with-it/ar-BB14YeAz?li=BBnb7Kz

talmooner
Posted 6/3/2020 10:21 AM (#960725 - in reply to #960724)
Subject: Re: Great Muskie Story

Fantastic story.
Thanks for sharing.

Talmooner
CincySkeez
Posted 6/3/2020 11:36 AM (#960729 - in reply to #960724)

Feel great for the guy. What an awesome fish
Jamessh1
Posted 6/4/2020 10:53 AM (#960788 - in reply to #960724)

Would have been better if the fish was able to swim away at the end. I get it that sometimes that isn’t possible but it always seems convenient that the fish was fatally hooked when they’re big enough to keep. You’d hope an old angler that is clearly “post spawn” as well and survived a near death experience would ensure that fish swam away if possible...
Jimbo
Posted 6/4/2020 12:11 PM (#960793 - in reply to #960788)

Really James? Come on. I figured it would be only a matter of time until a reply like this came up on here. Not only the "big" ones die when they are caught. I am sure this person wanted like anything to release this magnificent fish but it just didn't happen.
IAJustin
Posted 6/4/2020 1:38 PM (#960799 - in reply to #960793)

Very Cool story...good for him!
North of 8
Posted 6/4/2020 2:18 PM (#960800 - in reply to #960788)

Jamessh1 - 6/4/2020 10:53 AM

Would have been better if the fish was able to swim away at the end. I get it that sometimes that isn’t possible but it always seems convenient that the fish was fatally hooked when they’re big enough to keep. You’d hope an old angler that is clearly “post spawn” as well and survived a near death experience would ensure that fish swam away if possible...

Fish cannot always be saved. Tom Gelb worked for over an hour trying to revive a big musky. He estimated in the story that he had released well over a thousand but that one didn't make it. One of the obvious things about a truly big musky is they can inhale a very large bait, something a smaller musky cannot do. Had a friend who could not save a big musky on Green Bay, it completely engulfed a mag dawg.
CRK925
Posted 6/4/2020 5:58 PM (#960815 - in reply to #960788)

Your response is simply out of line and reeks of self righteousness. While most muskie fisherman never keep a muskie, the person who caught and kept this one did so legally. Why do we need to doubt him when he said the fish was not going to survive if released? Muskies once they reach a certain size die of two things; old age and angling mortality. We all strive to return every muskie back to the water unharmed, however fish do die from time to time.

The angler is also correct in saying that the fish was past viable spawning age. It was a 57" fish that spawned many times over the course of her life. The fact of the matter is that particular fish would have died from old age or angling mortality likely in a matter of a few months. They only get so big and so old and clearly this was old fish that was not going to grow any larger.

Edited by CRK925 6/4/2020 5:59 PM
Jamessh1
Posted 6/6/2020 8:45 AM (#960920 - in reply to #960815)

CRK925 - 6/4/2020 5:58 PM

Your response is simply out of line and reeks of self righteousness. While most muskie fisherman never keep a muskie, the person who caught and kept this one did so legally. Why do we need to doubt him when he said the fish was not going to survive if released? Muskies once they reach a certain size die of two things; old age and angling mortality. We all strive to return every muskie back to the water unharmed, however fish do die from time to time.

The angler is also correct in saying that the fish was past viable spawning age. It was a 57" fish that spawned many times over the course of her life. The fact of the matter is that particular fish would have died from old age or angling mortality likely in a matter of a few months. They only get so big and so old and clearly this was old fish that was not going to grow any larger.

Ok - maybe I should have worded my message a bit more carefully - It’s a great story and a truly once in a lifetime catch for someone that truly couldn’t be more deserving. It’s too bad the fish didn’t survive, but sometimes death occurs on muskies of all ages, sizes, when caught. I should have left it at that. You can speculate all you want that the fish was a few months from death, was post spawn, was done growing but it’s only that, speculation.
Reef Hawg
Posted 6/11/2020 2:11 AM (#961169 - in reply to #960920)

Jamessh1 - 6/6/2020 8:45 AM

CRK925 - 6/4/2020 5:58 PM

Ok - maybe I should have worded my message a bit more carefully - It’s a great story and a truly once in a lifetime catch for someone that truly couldn’t be more deserving. It’s too bad the fish didn’t survive, but sometimes death occurs on muskies of all ages, sizes, when caught. I should have left it at that. You can speculate all you want that the fish was a few months from death, was post spawn, was done growing but it’s only that, speculation.

Truly nothing to speculate about at all. The fish died. I know Lee, met him on the Bay a few years ago fishing Walleyes and Whitefish through the ice, in fact he put us on one of the best bites we've had out there yet to this day. I talked to him the day before yesterday, congratulating him on the catch. While the article said he didn't put it in the water, he actually did, by nature slide it over after quickly unhooking the engulfed lure from the gill/raker connection, but the fish was basically heart shot, bleeding out and went belly up. While unfortunate end for the fish, a special story from a great sportsman/conservationist. Lee was just in from a very successful big salmon/trout outing on Lake Michigan when I called, so he's still at it, loving life.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)