Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Turtle Flambeau camping advice

Message Subject: Turtle Flambeau camping advice
muskymandan
Posted 6/2/2020 1:53 PM (#960697)
Subject: Turtle Flambeau camping advice

I am trying to get a family camping trip together for me, the wife, and the kiddo. I will be tent camping and can bring a generator if necessary. I would like to camp on the water possibly on one of the islands? Are those first come first serve spots hard to get or should I just find something else? We are looking to go up the 1st-2nd week in July. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Daniel
Windy City
Posted 6/2/2020 5:47 PM (#960703 - in reply to #960697)
Subject: RE: Turtle Flambeau camping advice

Contact Beth Feind, TFF property manager for WI-DNR, for best answer to your question. Her phone # is: 715-476-7846.

Her email is: [email protected]
jboutdoorguy
Posted 6/2/2020 8:43 PM (#960706 - in reply to #960697)
Subject: Re: Turtle Flambeau camping advice

If the weather is nice there will be a lot of people camping. I would think this year especially with many 4th of July celebrations cancelled and other covid issues people will be heading north in that time frame. I drove home heading north on I-39 yesterday from out of town work and I could not believe the number of boats, atv's, and campers heading south. Way more than I would normally see on a Monday afternoon. It is a beautiful place and I would go in a heart beat. If all sites are occupied there are many other areas to camp in the north woods not on the Turtle. If you do get an island site I wouldn't bring the generator. You definitely wont make any friends with a generator humming while people are trying to enjoy the peace and quiet.
muskymandan
Posted 6/2/2020 9:34 PM (#960709 - in reply to #960697)

Thanks guys for the help. I will give her a call tomorrow and see what is going on.

Thanks again
Daniel
Windy City
Posted 6/21/2020 9:09 AM (#962536 - in reply to #960697)

Dan, not sure if you spoke with anyone or have committed to plans, but I was fishing the TFF last weekend and it was crowded as far as the TFF gets. I don't camp but it appeared and I heard open spots were hard to find.

You might want to keep an eye on LL site, for the TFF for current info.

Jeff from Bobber Down typically reports in once a week and has good info.
He is a great guy and a good resource for the area.
CRK925
Posted 6/21/2020 9:09 PM (#962546 - in reply to #960697)

Bring high percentage DEET spray, even if camping on the islands.
WiscoMusky
Posted 6/25/2020 10:09 AM (#962675 - in reply to #960697)

I just got back from camping the tff the last few days. Mosquitos and bugs were bad, and there was a big mayfly hatch. Definitely bring some high percentage deet. As far as camping goes, I didn’t think it was bad finding a spot. I stayed down in the south end, and didn’t see anyone using R-3 through R-13. Close to fisherman’s landing there were a few campsites being used, but it really wasn’t bad. Water temps were hovering around 68-70, and fishing was pretty good. Looking forward to getting back there in a few weeks
Esox Aficionado
Posted 8/10/2020 10:10 AM (#965095 - in reply to #960697)

We just got back from a camping trip on the TFF last weekend. Available campsites were difficult. Much like WiscoMusky we camped on the southern side of the lake in site R-11. There were only a couple sites available down there. R-11 was a pretty nice sandy landing and decent site. I was talking to one of the rangers at the launch when we were headed out and he mentioned to us that F sites are family sites. R sites are rustic. We did not mind the rustic site because we do a lot of backpacking and canoe camping, but I could see that some people would not like that. Rustic sites do not have any kind of bench or table.

Musky bite was nonexistent! Couldn't even get one to come take a look. Lots of rain probably messed up the bite. I found this lake to be difficult because there were not a lot of defined weed beds and the lake is not all that deep (for the most part). However it is probably one of the most beautiful lakes in Wisconsin.
Berkshire24
Posted 8/11/2020 4:14 PM (#965153 - in reply to #960697)

The camping sites near Baraboo are usually the busiest, likely due to having 2 of the bigger public launches nearby. If it's a busy weekend, I'd head south as the others have mentioned, or look along the east and west shoreline between Bastine and Pink Rock.
IndiaMontgomery
Posted 7/21/2022 5:40 PM (#1009993 - in reply to #962675)

How to prepare for a hike?
NataliaBonilla
Posted 7/22/2022 3:29 PM (#1010012 - in reply to #960697)

Be sure to take water with you. It is very important to have enough water: it is better to take a little more than you need than to get into a situation where you run out of it ahead of time. We drink water, wash wounds with it and cook food with it. It is convenient to carry it either in a bottle with a handle or in a hydrator - a special waterproof bag with a tube.
Also, food that will not spoil during the hike is easy to cook. Usually, take nuts, dried fruits, canned foods, cereals, chocolate, hard cheese, dried meat, cookies, candy, and the like. If you take something perishable, eat it first. Better yet, cook it over a campfire. I used to take this device with me when I went camping: https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L . It's very useful if you're outdoors.

Edited by NataliaBonilla 7/31/2022 5:42 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)