Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer Tires Question

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trailer Tires Question
webs1981
Posted 6/1/2020 9:19 PM (#960656)
Subject: Trailer Tires Question

Good Evening,

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I just purchased a new boat and am a first time boat owner.

On my Shorelander boat trailer, on the Tire and Loading Information label on the Shorelander trailer, it says the Cold Tire Pressure should be 50 PSI for Load Range C tires.

I just purchased Load Range D tires for the trailer. On the actual tires, it says a max loading pressure PSI of 65.

Do I fill the tire pressure to the max load PSI capacity of 65 PSI (what's noted on the actual tires) or 50 PSI (whats noted on the trailer for Load Range C, not Load Range D tires)?

Thank you!
Esoxrox
Posted 6/1/2020 9:29 PM (#960657 - in reply to #960656)
Subject: Re: Trailer Tires Question

Go with the max pressure on the tire.
Tommis
Posted 6/1/2020 9:41 PM (#960658 - in reply to #960656)

I have always been told to fill any trailer tires to the maximum fill indicated on the tire. However, with upping the load range on the tire, you may want to check your wheels now if you bought tires only. The wheel should have a sticker or stamped in marking indicating the capacity and pressure rating on the back of the metal. If the trailer tires came with the wheel, then no worry.
CRK925
Posted 6/2/2020 5:08 AM (#960661 - in reply to #960656)

Use the pressure on the tire.

That was good move going up a load range as well. I have a heavier aluminum boat and a shore lander trailer that came with load range c tires as well. Doing the math, I was within 150 lbs of the max weight limit fully loaded with a full tank of gas. That's a sure way to have a blowout on a 90 degree day.a
Fishysam
Posted 6/2/2020 9:20 PM (#960708 - in reply to #960656)

I have endurance as well. A 50 psi trailer as well. I run 57 psi based off my prior tire wear and if I put 65 in it and do a chalk test the sides of the tread don't touch the ground.
pstrombe
Posted 6/5/2020 10:05 AM (#960866 - in reply to #960656)

I have ran my tires at the max suggested pressure but seem to get more wear at the crown of the tire. If the total weight of the rig is significantly less the the rating I run my tire 5 lbs below suggested pressure. Once the warm up they will be at the suggested pressure. Probably just splitting hairs but I have done a multiple trips to FL and Washington states and that seems to work best for me. Most guys don't put enough miles on the rig to make a difference anyhow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)