Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canada crossing this summer

Message Subject: Canada crossing this summer
jdsplasher
Posted 8/9/2020 7:20 AM (#965064 - in reply to #963599)
Subject: Re: Canada crossing this summer

FYI....Ontario IS reimbursing fishing License Fee’s if you purchased before the Shutdown, prior to 3/15 2020.

Ontario # 1-800-387-7011, 

Border closures  possibly now till 4/1/2021

JD

Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/9/2020 8:18 AM (#965065 - in reply to #965064)

jdsplasher - 8/9/2020 7:20 AM

Border closures  possibly now till 4/1/2021

JD

Or.............it may never open again, ever.

All speculation at this point.
Fisher
Posted 8/11/2020 7:28 AM (#965111 - in reply to #965065)

I heard November 4th 2020?
KingT
Posted 8/11/2020 9:02 AM (#965112 - in reply to #960514)

I still think there would need to be a huge shift in the public's opinion for that to happen. Canadians Do Not want Americans coming here. And sorry to break the news but the later we go into the fall Months flu season will be back around full swing. Your president isn't doing you any favours either with Canadians by putting tariifs on our exports to you. And again. When it does open how many of you are going to be able to qaurenteen for 14 days??? Cuz if you think that's not going to be a stipulation you are mistaken. I'm not a die hard lockdown guy either I. Actually think we are over blowing it. I'm just telling you what the vast vast majority of Canadians are thinking.
jb51
Posted 8/11/2020 9:38 AM (#965114 - in reply to #960514)

I’m sure Canada will be happy to let Americans in when we are bringing a shipment vaccine that we developed with us.
North of 8
Posted 8/11/2020 10:04 AM (#965115 - in reply to #965114)

jb51 - 8/11/2020 9:38 AM

I’m sure Canada will be happy to let Americans in when we are bringing a shipment vaccine that we developed with us.

Perhaps, but Europe has been working on a vaccine longer and one developed in Germany shows promise of being effective against all forms of corona virus, not only COVID 19.
KingT
Posted 8/11/2020 10:07 AM (#965116 - in reply to #960514)

Haha... Ya man america is the only place working on a vaccine! Maybe some Americans need to drop the arrogance and the situation could be alot better.
jb51
Posted 8/11/2020 10:14 AM (#965117 - in reply to #960514)

Probably better that it comes from Europe, since Canadians are subjects of the Crown.
AaronTicknor
Posted 8/11/2020 10:30 AM (#965118 - in reply to #960514)

Wow guys - this is a fishing forum.
Two voices aren't representative of all Canadians or all Americans. Gross generalizations are dangerous, no place for that here beyond we ALL love to fish muskies!!
I hope we all stay safe and we can all be good neighbors once again.
KingT
Posted 8/11/2020 10:50 AM (#965119 - in reply to #960514)

Never said I was the voice for al Canadians. Just the majority. Like I said in my post.
ToddM
Posted 8/11/2020 10:50 AM (#965120 - in reply to #960514)

When hate is your base for information you will ignorance and arrogance. See it on FB every day.

Edited by ToddM 8/11/2020 10:52 AM
jb51
Posted 8/11/2020 11:00 AM (#965121 - in reply to #960514)

Wow, when someone uses Facebook to buttress an argument I know I’ve been beat. I’ll retreat back to my troll hole now.
KingT
Posted 8/11/2020 11:01 AM (#965122 - in reply to #960514)

I actually love the u.s think it's the 2nd best country in the world. But to pretend that at this time canada needs America to ride in and save us from the virus is a complete fabrication of reality.
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2020 11:28 AM (#965126 - in reply to #960514)

Makes little difference which vaccine is first or where it comes from. Distribution in the needed numbers does, however. I'm hoping several effective vaccines can be ready for use soon, and it looks really good. So does advancing treatment possibility.

The US is doing what it can:
https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/08/07/fact-sheet-explaining-oper...
Canada has been conducting trials/studies regarding acquiring vaccines some from various sources as well.
https://pharmaphorum.com/news/canada-joins-covid-19-vaccine-race-aft...
https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/new...

Until we have the curve dropped off considerably here, I don't see any reason Canada is likely to open borders. That's reaaaaalllllyyyy bad for resorts and tourist trade up there for sure. Many will not survive, and that's not good for NW Ontario's future tourism economy. The resorts up there need help and from my conversations with AML they are not getting it. It's not pretty no matter what angle one looks at but it very simply is what it is. I have not been within less than 6' from another person other than Sue and Keith since March. It sucks. I don't give a crap about arguments or politics, anti-organ rejection therapy and added steroid treatment has me in a position where I have to be responsible for my own health, and I'm quite serious about it. I don't care what anyone else does either, that's up to them to decide and deal with the consequences just like anything in life in the US. Democracy is messy and as the population grows will get a hell of a lot messier.
Bondy
Posted 8/11/2020 12:11 PM (#965128 - in reply to #960514)

Why is the death RATE no longer in the news?
North of 8
Posted 8/11/2020 12:15 PM (#965129 - in reply to #965126)

Steve, being in the industry, do you know if the Canadian government is doing anything to help the folks who own resorts there that have been impacted by the border closure? After reading how many folks have had to cancel trips from USA to Canada, the impact as you has to be horrible. Since it was a national mandate to close the border, seems like they should provide some support for those fish camps, resorts that saw their business plummet.
jb51
Posted 8/11/2020 12:15 PM (#965130 - in reply to #960514)

Death rate is no longer part of the narrative. We’ve moved on to random anecdotes regarding mysterious lingering side effects.
Nupe
Posted 8/11/2020 12:21 PM (#965131 - in reply to #965128)

Bondy - 8/11/2020 12:11 PM

Because focusing on and fear mongering over the # of cases is what fits the media's narrative.

The MSM doesn't give a rats @$$ about reporting news anymore. You want to talk about an entity/institution trying to control an election...our media. The MSM is the most divisive, destructive entity/institution in this country, PERIOD.

Edited by Nupe 8/11/2020 12:22 PM
Bondy
Posted 8/11/2020 12:21 PM (#965132 - in reply to #965129)

The government offered a business loan of which $10,000 is forgivable. Not enough to cover their gasoline bill. It’s a mess all around. Personally I’ve lost 98% of my guide customers. Another issue is way up north a lot of the lodges have relationships with the natives and they do not want Covid up there.
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2020 12:23 PM (#965133 - in reply to #960514)

Draw your own conclusion. Remember, the main television media companies exists not to inform, but to make money from advertisers while providing the service each network deem correct to obtain the best possible bottom line. The 'independent' news sources, even the non-profits, always have their own agenda. A purely factual news program would fall flat on it's arse, not anywhere near enough entertaining.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Untitled.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled.png (88KB - 383 downloads)
muskymartin67
Posted 8/11/2020 12:25 PM (#965134 - in reply to #960514)

you guys can take this how you want, but i have a relative that lives in Texas where the #s are supposedly exploding, she and several of her friends all signed up to get tested for Covid19, after waiting at facility for several hours and not getting any help they decided to leave - a few days later they all received positive results, how can this be, and they didn't even get tested- I also have an acquintance that works in the medical field and when a victim of a car accident or gun shot death comes in if they tested positive its considered a Covid19 death- I believe Covid is a real thing, but I dont believe the actual reported #s and such so I think a lot of us may be fooled by the way this disease is being reported in the news I believe theres a political and other agendas in play, I know this may get pulled, and I may have said too much, but the truth needs to be told
North of 8
Posted 8/11/2020 12:32 PM (#965135 - in reply to #965128)

Bondy - 8/11/2020 12:11 PM

If I look for news on COVID, I go to the MSN.com news section on COVID and they report that along with number of positives, etc. Death rate has dropped as the medical folks have learned how to better treat the illness and folks are getting tested earlier which helps with survivability. That is one bit of good news, they seem to have found ways to help people that don't involve going on a ventilator. The one med is only given to those that are pretty sick because it actually lowers the immune response. Seems ironic that the way they save some of the sickest is to purposely reduce the immune response but apparently an overly aggressive immune response to the virus is what destroys lung tissue. The Ideas Network on NPR has had many hours of interviews with scientists and doctors regarding COVID over the last few months. I listen to them on my daily walks and have found it very interesting but also reminded me why I never took any advanced biology courses. Stuff is confusing.
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2020 12:34 PM (#965136 - in reply to #965134)

muskymartin67 - 8/11/2020 12:25 PM

you guys can take this how you want, but i have a relative that lives in Texas where the #s are supposedly exploding, she and several of her friends all signed up to get tested for Covid19, after waiting at facility for several hours and not getting any help they decided to leave - a few days later they all received positive results, how can this be, and they didn't even get tested- I also have an acquaintance that works in the medical field and when a victim of a car accident or gun shot death comes in if they tested positive its considered a Covid19 death- I believe Covid is a real thing, but I dont believe the actual reported #s and such so I think a lot of us may be fooled by the way this disease is being reported in the news I believe there's a political and other agendas in play, I know this may get pulled, and I may have said too much, but the truth needs to be told

This. Democracy is messy. It is and always has been each person's personal responsibility to determine what's real and what is not and then act according to one's own beliefs. No one ever said this system's workings always work out as the best possible outcome, but the big picture end game most times wins out over the alternatives. It's up to me (not the government, that system is in place to represent the people and therein lies a big issue, that's not how this is supposed to work) to take care of me, and I'll react to others only if they get in the way of that, otherwise, have at it. Barring an accident, I should be fine physically. The rest is another story.
Nupe
Posted 8/11/2020 12:37 PM (#965137 - in reply to #960514)

Thanks for sharing the graph Steve...plainly puts a visual into perspective to draw a conclusion.

And Martin, you are absolutely right, that is not fake news...and some areas of the country have been exposed, for lack of a better word, for double dipping, i.e. - double reporting a case:
- a person gets tested today and is positive, then the same person goes and gets tested tomorrow and is positive, that is being counted as 2 separate cases in some areas of the country.
- Or, if someone goes and gets tested in one county and is positive, and goes and gets tested in another county tomorrow and is positive...same person but is being counted as two separate cases.

The whole death count thing is skewed by a fair amount and your examples of a gun shot or car accident are true...it says as much on CDC's website. The reason why these #s are being inflated all come back to money...COVID cases = money for hospitals/medical facilities, etc. for anything COVID...the more severe the case, the more money they receive. So, you do the math.
North of 8
Posted 8/11/2020 12:54 PM (#965138 - in reply to #965137)

One of the most difficult aspects of distributing a vaccine if and when it is available is who gets it first. The agencies responsible are supposedly working to establish priorities. That will be something sure to create issues. Glad I am not responsible for that.

I am old enough to remember when the polio vaccine became available. My mother took us three kids to the gym at the local high school where there was looked to me like an endless line of kids with parents and table after table with people providing the vaccine. Still remember my mother crying, something she very rarely did. She was so relieved we were getting the vaccine.
14ledo81
Posted 8/11/2020 2:16 PM (#965143 - in reply to #965134)

muskymartin67 - 8/11/2020 12:25 PM

you guys can take this how you want, but i have a relative that lives in Texas where the #s are supposedly exploding, she and several of her friends all signed up to get tested for Covid19, after waiting at facility for several hours and not getting any help they decided to leave - a few days later they all received positive results, how can this be, and they didn't even get tested- I also have an acquintance that works in the medical field and when a victim of a car accident or gun shot death comes in if they tested positive its considered a Covid19 death- I believe Covid is a real thing, but I dont believe the actual reported #s and such so I think a lot of us may be fooled by the way this disease is being reported in the news I believe theres a political and other agendas in play, I know this may get pulled, and I may have said too much, but the truth needs to be told

Not just Texas. I live in northern WI and have heard reports of this (people testing positive that didn't actually get tested) happening here as well.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/11/2020 2:19 PM (#965144 - in reply to #960514)

Well I have heard that going in California too ... so I am guessing this is a rumor floating around. Unless you know someone personally that it's happened to and trust what they tell you, I wouldn't believe it.

My kid just told me he heard about it, so I'm guessing it's a wild rumor.
North of 8
Posted 8/11/2020 2:23 PM (#965145 - in reply to #965144)

What has been reported by the health departments in WI is that there is a delay in reporting of negative tests. Most agencies are swamped and report positive tests very quickly, giving a lower priority to reporting the number of negative tests. They get reported but the daily, weekly testing data are somewhat skewed because of this.
muskymartin67
Posted 8/11/2020 2:34 PM (#965146 - in reply to #960514)

i didnt just hear of this it actually happened to a relative of mine they have no reason to make this up!!!
raftman
Posted 8/11/2020 3:00 PM (#965147 - in reply to #965137)

Nupe - 8/11/2020
The reason why these #s are being inflated all come back to money...COVID cases = money for hospitals/medical facilities, etc. for anything COVID...the more severe the case, the more money they receive. So, you do the math.

Not really. I work for a healthcare system who’s revenue losses were in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Things have steadied since more normal business has started up again. Healthcare makes more money without covid than it does with.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)