Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canada crossing this summer

Message Subject: Canada crossing this summer
North of 8
Posted 7/16/2020 5:39 PM (#963464 - in reply to #963463)
Subject: Re: Canada crossing this summer

KingT - 7/16/2020 5:30 PM

I think that everyone should be under the assumption that it's going to be closed for awhile. A staggeringly high percentage of Canadian citizens do not want the border open.

Doesn't help that some who were traveling through, using the exception Canada put in place for those traveling to/from Alaska abused it and became tourists. Those that got caught found out Canada does not screw around. One family that decided to tour a park in Banff instead of traveling through as they had agreed were fined several thousand dollars.
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/16/2020 9:57 PM (#963471 - in reply to #960514)

What I find odd is that you can fly in, but not drive in. So if you really wanted you could fly to Winnipeg and drive to your favorite resort and rent a boat or fish with a guide.

Makes no sense to me but I’ve read the regulations. You can fly in. Unless something has changed in the last couple weeks.

MuskyMidget
Posted 7/16/2020 10:02 PM (#963472 - in reply to #960514)

Maybe I misunderstood what I read ... Canadians can fly into the US. But US citizens are not allowed to fly into Canada?
bbeaupre
Posted 7/17/2020 6:52 AM (#963475 - in reply to #960514)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/c...
This should clear things up a bit.
pigeontroller
Posted 7/19/2020 8:43 PM (#963506 - in reply to #963463)

KingT - 7/16/2020 6:30 PM

I think that everyone should be under the assumption that it's going to be closed for awhile. A staggeringly high percentage of Canadian citizens do not want the border open.

Can you blame us?!!!
North of 8
Posted 7/19/2020 9:13 PM (#963507 - in reply to #963506)

pigeontroller - 7/19/2020 8:43 PM

KingT - 7/16/2020 6:30 PM

Can you blame us?!!!

Uh, no.
VMS
Posted 7/20/2020 5:23 PM (#963523 - in reply to #960514)

Not one bit....

Saddens me and I am sure many others who LOVE to visit Canada for a nice fishing trip, but with so many people out there NOT doing their part to help keep themselves and other safe, I believe Canadian citizens are most definitely right in their thinking to keep the border closed. I'm betting it will be closed now for at least the remainder of the year...

Scares me to even think of bringing kids back into our schools this fall....

Cowboyhannah
Posted 7/20/2020 6:01 PM (#963524 - in reply to #960514)

No surprise they remain closed. If I were them, I’d remain closed, too. I wish we had our act together more stateside, but we are being the irresponsible neighbor to the south and now we are paying for it with high infection rates (my family included-no #*^@ed fun). On top of that we send across the border some declaration signed by legislators from border states demanding they put forth a plan to let us back in and the joke rightfully continues. Sigh.

Had a once in a lifetime Father/son senior trip to SBL planned for next week, not sure what To do now. I doubt next summer will be any different, to be honest.

Edited by Cowboyhannah 7/20/2020 6:22 PM
DonPursch
Posted 7/20/2020 6:55 PM (#963526 - in reply to #960917)

Just got back from our cabin in the Angle ! On the shuttle!
7-8 foot waves ! ,!!!! NO joke !!! 32 ft boat was like being in a 16 footer BIG WATER ,,
Know your boat And know the weather !!
ToddM
Posted 7/20/2020 10:50 PM (#963533 - in reply to #960514)

I heard this second hand but I was told a person was caught going to their cabin on lotw, boat confiscated and banned for life. I also heard second hand an LSC guide was caught but given a warning to return and not come across.

Edited by ToddM 7/20/2020 10:51 PM
Pepper
Posted 7/21/2020 4:57 AM (#963536 - in reply to #963533)

Heard it from a friend
Who heard it from a friend
Who heard it from another, their not messin around

Those guys are lucky they aren’t in immigration jail.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/21/2020 11:31 AM (#963549 - in reply to #960514)

I'm sure it's no fun for the lodge owners, but it seems many of the folks down here are just that stupid where closing the border is probably the best option. Complaining about mask mandates being unconstitutional, disregarding the social distancing rules... Oh, and then there are the young folks having "Covid parties". If you haven't heard about that, look it up. Yes, that really IS a thing. Just when you thought people couldn't get get any dumber.

Pretty sure the fish won't miss us one bit this year either.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/21/2020 11:51 AM (#963550 - in reply to #963549)

I think the worst of the people are the ones who cough into their hand or font cover their mouth at all. In the gas station yesterday the cashier is ringing up my water bottle and hacking in her hand with her mask halfway off. Then they grab your drink by the top to scan it. Right where your mouth will go to drink it.
I just walked away and left my stuff. You can’t fix how stupid people are.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/21/2020 11:53 AM (#963551 - in reply to #963549)

esoxaddict - 7/21/2020 11:31 AM

I'm sure it's no fun for the lodge owners, but it seems many of the folks down here are just that stupid where closing the border is probably the best option. Complaining about mask mandates being unconstitutional, disregarding the social distancing rules... Oh, and then there are the young folks having "Covid parties". If you haven't heard about that, look it up. Yes, that really IS a thing. Just when you thought people couldn't get get any dumber.

The poor fish in Minnesota are the ones to suffer. 8 boats going to down north bar on leech yesterday evening. And that’s a Monday.
North of 8
Posted 7/21/2020 1:49 PM (#963552 - in reply to #963549)

My favorite for "COVID Idiot of the Month" award is the lady who when told she had to have a mask on in a Verizon store, dropped trou and peed all over the sales floor. Yeah, that will show them.
Junkman
Posted 7/21/2020 2:55 PM (#963554 - in reply to #960514)

All the time I was poking fun at some of our rather outspoken guides down here expressing really reckless and stupid bravado against wearing masks, it never occurred to me that they were being dumb like a fox. Their example led to runaway virus spread and Canada saying, “no way Jose!” To our visits this year. The result? Everybody has to fish down here and guides have sold out. Sorta suspected they couldn’t have been that stupid!
ToddM
Posted 7/21/2020 3:13 PM (#963555 - in reply to #960514)

We reap what we sow
TCESOX
Posted 7/21/2020 4:52 PM (#963558 - in reply to #963552)

North of 8 - 7/21/2020 1:49 PM

My favorite for "COVID Idiot of the Month" award is the lady who when told she had to have a mask on in a Verizon store, dropped trou and peed all over the sales floor. Yeah, that will show them.

Wow. For a while now, when having discussions about mask/no mask, with people, I've been saying it is really rude and disrespectful, kind of like going up to people and peeing on their shoes. I was just trying to come up with something kind of outlandish to make a point. Didn't know it was a real thing, or how close a comparison it may have actually been. Good grief. Bunch of really wound up folks out there.
Resume
Posted 7/21/2020 5:41 PM (#963559 - in reply to #963549)

esoxaddict - 7/21/2020 11:31 AM] Oh, and then there are the young folks having "Covid parties". If you haven't heard about that, look it up. Yes, that really IS a thing. Just when you thought people couldn't get get any dumber.

Makes me sort of wish these kids would get it, get sick, but not deathly so, and after they recover, say they were wrong, and everyone should observe safety protocols. But no, they'll get it, have nary a sniffle, but bring it home to Gramps and Grammy.
sworrall
Posted 7/21/2020 6:01 PM (#963562 - in reply to #960514)

Some people speed in traffic endangering themselves and others.
Some like to run 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, etc like crazy people or intoxicated
Some think passing in a no passing zone while speeding by is just fine

And so on. People are not being necessarily 'stupid', they are simply displaying risky behavior as is the nature of some. 'Stupid' is not knowing or being unable to process the behavior is risky. That's a minority. Not caring doesn't make one stupid, it makes one a threat to the rest of us. I do my best to avoid being where those folks seem to gather. Example Wal Mart.

"That was stupid" is a definition of an action. The person guilty of it may be a Rhodes Scholar.

I'm one of those of folks who are informed about this thing and know exactly how to behave to minimize my exposure. I've been very clearly warned by my Doc to not be otherwise if I like the green side of the sod. Luckily, I live where I can still get out to fish and not be in contact with anyone else.

Very simply put it's a matter of choice. Some choose badly. In large groups. Those folks will pay the price on the average we are seeing of how many get very ill VS how many do not. Calculated risk? That's what this is.

I don't care what politicians of any ilk say or do not say or what the news media spouts. I know what I need to do to stay safe and I'll do exactly that.

Measure the probable impact and act accordingly. Be responsible. If we control the spread we'll eventually win this war slowly at greater cost to the economy and all that infers. If we don't we'll eventually win this war at a potentially greater cost to lives.

I'll let everyone figure out which is best for their situation. Won't change what I do.
But then I too have been called 'stupid' by some folks right here on this board. Maybe they are right.

Closing everything down will not eliminate the virus, but it will the spread far more slowly. Great strategy until there's a vaccine and everyone can slow or stop. Bad strategy if you own a resort in NW Ontario where there has been little to no support from the government up there. I spoke to Julian today at AML, he's not upset with us, he's upset there's no help coming for the resort biz up there and rightly so.

The resorts in MN are full of people who would much rather be in Canada fishing. They seem to have figured out a way to get those businesses open with minimal risk.

Meanwhile I just posted a 54.5 giant on AML's Facebook caught up there yesterday by an AML pro Guide.

ToddM
Posted 7/22/2020 12:31 AM (#963568 - in reply to #960514)

Steve I get what you are saying but there is an exception here. There is a segment who are told and believe this pandemic is a hoax. I am in northeastern Colorado an area that voted to succeed and even with the mask mandate people refuse and I hear them complain in the checkout isles. Seen an employee even refuse at one store.
14ledo81
Posted 7/22/2020 7:28 AM (#963572 - in reply to #963568)

ToddM - 7/22/2020 12:31 AM

Steve I get what you are saying but there is an exception here. There is a segment who are told and believe this pandemic is a hoax. I am in northeastern Colorado an area that voted to succeed and even with the mask mandate people refuse and I hear them complain in the checkout isles. Seen an employee even refuse at one store.

Because they refuse to wear a mask, that doesn't necessarily mean they think the pandemic is a hoax.

I think Steve's take is spot on. People have been doing "risky" (stupid if you want to call it that) things since there have been people on the planet.
North of 8
Posted 7/22/2020 7:30 AM (#963573 - in reply to #963568)

Disappointing to hear that the resorts are not getting any help from the government. Thought Canada had a program somewhat similar to the U.S. PPA? Heck, the U.S. has given millions to strip clubs to help them from going out of business, you would think Canada could spare some change to help out family owned resorts that bring a lot of foreign exchange into the country in normal times.
dickP
Posted 7/22/2020 7:38 AM (#963575 - in reply to #960514)

Covid parties=building herd immunity groups at a time.
Great post Steve.Appears my Wife and I are in the 'same boat' and doing the same things.I operate on the principle there is no free lunch.In the covid situation many believe there is.Economically and medically.There isn't.
Initially I thought either herd immunity or a 'working vaccine' would be required and all countries will eventually pay the price regardless.However,more and more it appears this thing may not allow 'lasting' immunity nor be susceptible to a one time vaccine due to mutation.
Some scientists see us 'living'(hopefully) with this for a long time.I suspect the new normal for a few years may be carefully just keeping the economy rolling.I wish I didn't own property in Canada now-for a number of reasons.Sad.

9people catchin or a workable vaccine due to mutation
North of 8
Posted 7/22/2020 7:53 AM (#963577 - in reply to #963575)

dickP - 7/22/2020 7:38 AM

Covid parties=building herd immunity groups at a time.
Great post Steve.Appears my Wife and I are in the 'same boat' and doing the same things.I operate on the principle there is no free lunch.In the covid situation many believe there is.Economically and medically.There isn't.
Initially I thought either herd immunity or a 'working vaccine' would be required and all countries will eventually pay the price regardless.However,more and more it appears this thing may not allow 'lasting' immunity nor be susceptible to a one time vaccine due to mutation.
Some scientists see us 'living'(hopefully) with this for a long time.I suspect the new normal for a few years may be carefully just keeping the economy rolling.I wish I didn't own property in Canada now-for a number of reasons.Sad.

Sweden thought herd immunity would be the answer, now they are in the worst shape in the region. My hope is that the virus, which mutated when going from China to Europe, will mutate again, and become much less damaging. In theory, that could happen.

9people catchin or a workable vaccine due to mutation
Fisher
Posted 7/22/2020 11:35 AM (#963584 - in reply to #963577)

Got a call today from CBSA about the RABC if I wanted to keep my application on file, I said yes, they stated they will be on file till January 1st and then will have to reapply. He said he sees the closure pushed out to at least January 1st.

Codeman
Posted 7/22/2020 12:27 PM (#963590 - in reply to #963533)

ToddM - 7/21/2020 11:50 AM

I heard this second hand but I was told a person was caught going to their cabin on lotw, boat confiscated and banned for life. I also heard second hand an LSC guide was caught but given a warning to return and not come across.

I'm heading up to LSC first week of August. I'll be calling the guide next week and asking him if we are just going to be on the Michigan side only or if we are allowed to venture to Canadian side as well. He didn't want us to get both license right away when we booked months ago because of weather. I did get a hold of him a couple weeks ago and he did say they were still fishing on the Canadian side as well even with the closure.
IAJustin
Posted 7/22/2020 12:53 PM (#963591 - in reply to #963590)

That should be an adventure..is the guide gonna pay your fine too for taking you across the border?
Codeman
Posted 7/22/2020 12:59 PM (#963592 - in reply to #963591)

IAJustin - 7/23/2020 1:53 AM

That should be an adventure..is the guide gonna pay your fine too for taking you across the border?

We plan on fishing on the Michigan side only. I don't want to get caught up in that mess. Even if he says we can go over. Its not worth the extra hassle getting caught.
sworrall
Posted 7/22/2020 1:21 PM (#963599 - in reply to #963568)

ToddM - 7/22/2020 12:31 AM

That's the minority I spoke of.

Plus, there's the argument that this is not a lot worse a disease for most than other pandemics where a national shutdown was not deemed a necessity. If you want to know the facts go to this link, Mike from the Muskie Expos sent it to me this morning. It's the CDC.

Watch international news like BBC. Remember there is an election this Fall and adjust your absorption rate accordingly of any news here.

Learn about the lasting effects for some and compare that to differing strains of the flu. Other than understanding the disease, it doesn't matter to me, Covid and I can not get acquainted...ever. We are all eventually going to die, but I am in no position nor am I in a hurry to tempt death up front.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)