Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canada crossing this summer

Message Subject: Canada crossing this summer
ToddM
Posted 8/13/2020 3:55 PM (#965253 - in reply to #960514)
Subject: Re: Canada crossing this summer

You need hate to breed conspiracy. Plenty of it has been brewed and it's unfortunate. I have no interest in pursuing hate based beliefs. I will take science over conspiracy any day.

Edited by ToddM 8/13/2020 3:57 PM
North of 8
Posted 8/13/2020 5:26 PM (#965255 - in reply to #965253)

ToddM - 8/13/2020 3:55 PM

You need hate to breed conspiracy. Plenty of it has been brewed and it's unfortunate. I have no interest in pursuing hate based beliefs. I will take science over conspiracy any day.

Sadly, we live in a time where a large minority of the population do not believe in science. And not really a new phenomenon. Listened to an author being interviewed a couple months ago. He wrote a book on the subject 4 or 5 years ago. The interviewer asked him about why so many people did not believe the medical experts on COVID 19.
He said he research for the book told him that this is not unique to the current pandemic. And that this has grown in proportion the growth in the percentage of the population that has a high school degree.
Bondy
Posted 8/13/2020 5:59 PM (#965258 - in reply to #960514)

Problem is the field of science has been corrupted by the thirst for the almighty dollar. Journalists/scientists/professors have mostly become activists.

Edited by Bondy 8/13/2020 6:21 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/13/2020 6:33 PM (#965261 - in reply to #965258)

Bondy - 8/13/2020 5:59 PM

Problem is the field of science has been corrupted by the thirst for the almighty dollar. Journalists/scientists/professors have mostly become activists.

And this is what I’ve always said. And most people would believe science if the people who were telling them what the science was were trustworthy.
KingT
Posted 8/13/2020 6:40 PM (#965262 - in reply to #960514)

Again it goes back to the fact that if there is no one good left in the world.... That is sad. Really really sad. I refuse to believe that tho.... That some don't feel the need to put humanity over a dollar.
ToddM
Posted 8/13/2020 7:12 PM (#965264 - in reply to #960514)

I certainly don't believe the conspiracy news that continually calls it out on a daily basis. Classic divide and conquer. I didn't fall for it. Greed corrupts, so does absolute power and hate.
RLSea
Posted 8/13/2020 9:13 PM (#965269 - in reply to #965219)

Edited by RLSea 8/13/2020 9:20 PM
raftman
Posted 8/13/2020 9:49 PM (#965271 - in reply to #965253)

Not sure hate is a requirement. We have enough institutional failure in this world to create a healthy amount of skepticism of authority and “experts”. See Catholic Church, penn state, Wall Street, federal government, state government, Weinstein, madoff, lauer, WMD in Iraq, Democrats, Republicans, trillion dollar bailouts written behind close doors by lawyers and special interests and voted on without being read, police kneeling on necks, police shooting people running away in the back, presidential election between 2 well past their prime men who would be better served in retirement homes.......

These times are made for conspiracy theories.
RLSea
Posted 8/13/2020 10:00 PM (#965272 - in reply to #965264)

ToddM - 8/13/2020 7:12 PM

I certainly don't believe the conspiracy news that continually calls it out on a daily basis. Classic divide and conquer. I didn't fall for it. Greed corrupts, so does absolute power and hate.

Agree
14ledo81
Posted 8/14/2020 5:32 AM (#965274 - in reply to #965255)

North of 8 - 8/13/2020 5:26 PM

Sadly, we live in a time where a large minority of the population do not believe in science. And not really a new phenomenon. Listened to an author being interviewed a couple months ago. He wrote a book on the subject 4 or 5 years ago. The interviewer asked him about why so many people did not believe the medical experts on COVID 19.
He said he research for the book told him that this is not unique to the current pandemic. And that this has grown in proportion the growth in the percentage of the population that has a high school degree.

What about when some doctors proclaim “different” science than others?

What about when some doctors try to state something and get shut out of social media?

That makes me suspicious.
Codeman
Posted 8/14/2020 6:43 AM (#965276 - in reply to #960514)

Our fishing trip wasn't the greatest on St Claire. We only got two muskies out of two days. My brother did catch a real nice small mouth. The first day we basically fished on rolling waves all day. I don't know how any of us didn't get sea sickness. The second day was better, I had five muskies strike my lures boat side but never got a hook set in them. Dad however got his first musky ever and that made the whole trip worth it. To see how proud he was getting his first one was awesome. Also watching 8 A10 warthogs fly over us and land was awesome as well. Our guide which I won't mention was warned 2 times by Canadian patrol for crossing the border prior to our trip and they told him the third time they will take all of his stuff. We even watch the US patrol run some Canadians back to there side as well. They are enforcing it up there. We did watch a guy land a 47.5 about 100 yards away from us. The guides did say though that we would of been on the Canadian side both days if it wasn't for the closure of the borders due to the weather at the time we were up there.
North of 8
Posted 8/14/2020 7:43 AM (#965277 - in reply to #965274)

14ledo81 - 8/14/2020 5:32 AM

What about when some doctors try to state something and get shut out of social media?

Perhaps it is the way you define "science". For instance, the doctor who Trump recently promoted, claiming she had "cured" numerous patients using Hydroxychoraquine. That is anectdotal, she had no data that proved they had COVID 19, she had no test group that were not given the drug, which is how a true scientific experiment is done, etc. And let us not for get that this same doctor claims she has proof that some human maladies are the result of sex with aliens and demons.
From the stand point of science, she is not a scientist.
North of 8
Posted 8/14/2020 9:50 AM (#965281 - in reply to #960514)

I should have also said that one of the bedrock principles of science is peer review. You publish your findings and fellow scientists review the data and depending on other factors, will try and replicate your findings. Only when that has happened is it considered established science. Too often what makes it into the news is a preliminary report on something. Has not been reviewed, replicated, etc.
bbeaupre
Posted 8/14/2020 10:15 AM (#965283 - in reply to #965258)

I am a scientist and I assure you the scientists have not become activists. The propagation and manipulation of our data is what you refer to. I left my last job at a pharmaceutical company for these reasons. Primarily, "their interpretation of my data" is a breaking point for most real scientists. "they" in this case being our business team that had absolutely no idea what it meant except, this conclusion makes us more money and since we can't tell the investors wont be able too either.
North of 8
Posted 8/14/2020 10:20 AM (#965284 - in reply to #965283)

bbeaupre - 8/14/2020 10:15 AM

I am a scientist and I assure you the scientists have not become activists. The propagation and manipulation of our data is what you refer to. I left my last job at a pharmaceutical company for these reasons. Primarily, "their interpretation of my data" is a breaking point for most real scientists. "they" in this case being our business team that had absolutely no idea what it meant except, this conclusion makes us more money and since we can't tell the investors wont be able too either.

Happens in the governmental sector as well. The CDC, under instruction from the Trump administration, sent a letter to employees outlining words and phrases that were not to be used in official communication. An example is "climate change". Same thing happened in WI under Scott Walker. Thanks to the grand daughter of the late senator Gaylord Nelson, who helped with the landmark clean air/clean water legislation in the 1970s, we learned that state employees were not to use the term "climate change" in communication.
waldo
Posted 8/14/2020 10:47 AM (#965286 - in reply to #965284)

Good read here on conspiracy group Q which has been classified as a domestic terrorist organization by the FBI and apparently has followers in this thread: https://t.co/y3wIYQBxCc
ToddM
Posted 8/14/2020 10:48 AM (#965287 - in reply to #965274)

14ledo81 - 8/14/2020 5:32 AM

You mean hydroxyhoax? There have been some shut out of social media for their false and misleading information. Seen a doozy of a hoax video today one of my consiracy friends sent me. Simple Google search disproved it. He kept ending his replies with the OK symbol. This isn't getting any better and we won't be getting to a uniteable place. I hope it doesn't get to the point of accomplishment, breaking us.
horsehunter
Posted 8/14/2020 10:59 AM (#965288 - in reply to #960514)

Every morning I thank God that I live on the north side of the line. My niece is taking a job in California and even tho she will be making over 500,000 loonies a year baby brother isn't thrilled.
North of 8
Posted 8/14/2020 11:16 AM (#965291 - in reply to #965286)

waldo - 8/14/2020 10:47 AM

Good read here on conspiracy group Q which has been classified as a domestic terrorist organization by the FBI and apparently has followers in this thread: https://t.co/y3wIYQBxCc

Two Republican primary winners for the house of Representatives are avid supporters of Q-Anon.
sworrall
Posted 8/14/2020 11:50 AM (#965294 - in reply to #960514)

OK, let's keep the basement hard lean towards getting into a politically charged discussion off the subject matter going out of this thread, please.
horsehunter
Posted 8/14/2020 12:28 PM (#965299 - in reply to #960514)

closure extended to Sept 21
true tiger tamer
Posted 8/14/2020 12:48 PM (#965301 - in reply to #960514)

Codeman, glad to see an actual fishing post in this waylaid topic. I believe politics belongs in political forums, since this is supposed to be a fishing forum, I'd prefer to read facts and fishing posts. Just my 2 cents.
KingT
Posted 8/14/2020 2:05 PM (#965308 - in reply to #960514)

Extended to sept 21.....amd then on September 15th....its going to be extended till October 21st and so on and so on.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)