Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling Motor Batteries Issue

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling Motor Batteries Issue
Cowboyhannah
Posted 5/27/2020 9:41 PM (#960448)
Subject: Trolling Motor Batteries Issue

After having my 3-bank Dual-Pro (15 years old) charging my batteries for 2 days, I noticed bank #2 was red, indicating incomplete charge. I opened the compartment where two of the three batteries are kept and I noticed it was VERY hot inside the compartment. The battery that was reading full charge (bank #1) was warm. The battery kicking the 'not fully charged' indicator was HOT to the touch, not just the terminals, the sides of the battery as well. A smell was evident. I disconnected both batteries and put a voltage meter on each and got the following readings:

Bank #1 battery (charger indicated full charge): 7.8 V
Bank #2 battery (charger indicated NOT fully charged and was HOT): 12.8 V
Bank #3 battery (charger indicated full charge and cool to touch): 12.9 V

Batteries have previously not given me any issues and are EverMaxx 29s purchased in 2013---yes, seven years of service and they get used 3-4 times per week all season long.

My question is why would the HOT battery with the bad indicator be at 12v but the one reading full charge be at 7 V?

I'm thinking I need to replace all three batteries and also get a new charging unit.

Thoughts?
miket55
Posted 5/27/2020 10:17 PM (#960450 - in reply to #960448)
Subject: Re: Trolling Motor Batteries Issue

I'd pull both, and try to charge each separately with a different charger.. I suspect the "hot" one has an internal short. If they each charge normally, see how they perform.
muskymartin67
Posted 5/28/2020 8:08 AM (#960465 - in reply to #960448)

I replace my batteries every 5 years whether they test good or not , or sooner if necessary if one goes bad. that is the average life and I don't want any problems being out on the water I would definitely replace all 3 and see if charger works properly and go from there
Cowboyhannah
Posted 5/28/2020 4:34 PM (#960504 - in reply to #960448)

Turns out bank #1 is green even when disconnected, so that bank is cooked. Also explains why that battery is way down at 7v because is has not been getting charged. Banks 2 and 3 are working but battery on bank 2 is cooked.

So. Looks like I'm in the market for a new charger and three new batteries.

North of 8
Posted 5/28/2020 5:06 PM (#960507 - in reply to #960504)

Cowboyhannah - 5/28/2020 4:34 PM

Turns out bank #1 is green even when disconnected, so that bank is cooked. Also explains why that battery is way down at 7v because is has not been getting charged. Banks 2 and 3 are working but battery on bank 2 is cooked.

So. Looks like I'm in the market for a new charger and three new batteries.

Well, at least you know what the issues are. Had a very similar problem with a similar age charger. Put in a Minn Kota, keeps my two trolling and starter battery charged well and was easy to install and hook up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)