Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> When is it time for you to night fish?

Message Subject: When is it time for you to night fish?
kdawg
Posted 5/26/2020 12:57 PM (#960364)
Subject: When is it time for you to night fish?

What are some of the sure signs for you that it's time to switch over to the night shift? Kdawg
horsehunter
Posted 5/26/2020 2:03 PM (#960368 - in reply to #960364)
Subject: Re: When is it time for you to night fish?

IT'S DARK OUT

sorry I couldn't help myself
kdawg
Posted 5/26/2020 3:14 PM (#960370 - in reply to #960368)

horsehunter - 5/26/2020 2:03 PM

IT'S DARK OUT

sorry I couldn't help myself
Sorry for my lack of a common sense question, but there seems to be a lot of that going around these days. Kdawg
tolle141
Posted 5/26/2020 9:17 PM (#960388 - in reply to #960364)

I night fish all season long. It's my primary approach to high-pressure fisheries.
IAJustin
Posted 5/26/2020 11:33 PM (#960391 - in reply to #960388)

I’ve caught muskie at night in April and November and every month in-between... that being said my greatest success is generally July 15 through September 15th... in many bodies of water, summer peak water temps ..success Greatly increases after dark. last few weeks of August and first couple of September are often really good for me at night ...good night bite in cold water periods can definitely be hit and miss. Fishing at night can be similar to fishing during the day as in some days are good and others poor... fish enough nights and you’ll see what I mean..definitely widows at night just as there is in a day... just because it’s dark doesn’t automatically dictate they will bite Best of luck

Edited by IAJustin 5/26/2020 11:35 PM
true tiger tamer
Posted 5/27/2020 4:07 AM (#960392 - in reply to #960364)

High fishing and boating activities generally increases the success I have fishing at night. This usually occurs during warm water temps so it might not be related to the increased boating, though I believe it to be a major factor. One of the lakes I regularly fish has relatively low boating, and I have had very poor results night fishing even when the water temps are up. Good luck.
nar160
Posted 6/12/2020 9:49 AM (#961227 - in reply to #960364)

Some factors, IMO:

- When water is warm, night time brings water closest to preferred temps. Conversely, when water is cold, that time is mid day.
- When fish want to be shallow, especially without cover, night can be better. Daytime can require wind and cloud cover.
- Clear water can make day bite harder
- Long days make night fishing more time-efficient. If sunrise is at 5:30 and sunset at 9, like right now, you can fish 7 PM to 7 AM and hit both as well as any windows in middle of the night. Starting at 4 and fishing until 11 is a pretty long day by any standard.
- If daytime gets a lot of fishing pressure, you have to have the timing just right. At night, when a window opens you're more likely to be able to hit multiple fish before someone else gets there.

That's all referring to middle of the night vs. middle of the day fishing. The first hour or two after dark are just a part of sunset and are always a good time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)