Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Open Water/Basin Fishing LOTW

Message Subject: Open Water/Basin Fishing LOTW
gruney
Posted 5/18/2020 8:33 AM (#960021)
Subject: Open Water/Basin Fishing LOTW

Let's face it, most people go to Lake of the Woods to fish the scenic shorelines, rock structures, and weeds (where they still exist). Curious if anyone fishes open water at all. I have been fishing a lower density area (Ptarmigan area) southwest of Kenora for 20 years and have never attempted it there. Would love to hear some thoughts on the topic. DM if you want to talk specifics about that area.
dickP
Posted 5/18/2020 3:26 PM (#960044 - in reply to #960021)
Subject: Re: Open Water/Basin Fishing LOTW

Suspect it will become a better option as(if)water clarity increases.Particularly if weed regeneration doesn't increase.A massive 'box' if looked at as a whole but it can be shrunk if one overcomes the mental aspect of it.
horsehunter
Posted 5/18/2020 5:14 PM (#960060 - in reply to #960021)

I firmly believe if you want action fish the weeds but the big fish are behind you. I know a guy who rarely fishes water shallower than 50 feet he dosen't catch numbers he catches monsters.
gruney
Posted 5/19/2020 2:33 PM (#960102 - in reply to #960060)

I am 100% in this camp as well horsehunter. That's why I wanted to stoke some conversation about how to attack it on a lake like the woods.
Paulk
Posted 5/19/2020 6:50 PM (#960116 - in reply to #960021)
Subject: RE: Open Water/Basin Fishing LOTW

Up on the Angle and anyplace its a tough deal unless you and your partner are totally committed to it. Basically every trip up to the angle I fish some deep water areas about a fifth of the time. There are also plenty areas where I cast the other side of the boat and have caught some good fish doing that but no monsters. The biggest fish I have ever seen on the Angle was an easy mid 50 type over 60 fow in a know whitefish area. Saying that, I've also caught plenty short muskies and northerns out in the middle of nowhere.

Best advise I can give is to break down deep water areas into smaller areas that are bordered by structure elements and hold open water baitfish (ciscoes, whitefish, etc). Then simply put your brain on flat line and start covering water. Thats the mental aspect that Dick was talking about.

Good luck
dickP
Posted 5/20/2020 7:19 AM (#960130 - in reply to #960021)

Hi Paul!Long time no chat.Hope all is well and the deer,bluebills and muskies are treating you well.No offense but some have always been better at flatlining.:-)
Paulk
Posted 5/20/2020 6:17 PM (#960151 - in reply to #960021)
Subject: RE: Open Water/Basin Fishing LOTW

Hi Dick. Heck I saw you on here and had to chime in with a morsal of info. Watch for an email.
phselect
Posted 5/21/2020 9:56 AM (#960174 - in reply to #960151)

I've been to Whitefish Bay once, and saw the biggest fish of my life. However it was one of the few fish I raised the whole week. Am thinking of booking a trolling trip there some time. Seems like a "low density but true tanker possibility" kinda deal.
ToddM
Posted 5/21/2020 4:51 PM (#960196 - in reply to #960021)

I have not spent a ton of time on LOTW but I have seen big hooks well off structure up high many times. I did give it a short try once but was hard to commit. I believe they were muskies. Why wouldn't they move out there?

Edited by ToddM 5/21/2020 4:52 PM
SummerSchool
Posted 5/21/2020 7:37 PM (#960206 - in reply to #960021)

After fishing shoreline last year in Whitefish, and getting killed... I've read and researched as much as possible for this summer. Too bad the border isn't cooperating at the moment haha. Naturally bought Muskies on the Shield, but this is one of the best articles I have seen: https://www.andymyerslodge.com/news/understanding-the-clear-water-mu...
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/23/2020 3:25 PM (#960269 - in reply to #960021)

Sage advice from one of the "True Masters of the Sport!".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)