Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tape recommendations for rail mount rod holders

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tape recommendations for rail mount rod holders
OH Musky
Posted 5/16/2020 8:29 PM (#959949)
Subject: Tape recommendations for rail mount rod holders

What is a good tape to wrap rails when using Down East rod holders? I picked up 3 unused ones today for $25. I have Folbe holders now but use one set for my bikini top in the summer. I want to be able to raise and lower the rods by pivoting the down east holders. Thanks.
southern comfort
Posted 5/17/2020 9:28 AM (#959962 - in reply to #959949)
Subject: Re: Tape recommendations for rail mount rod holders

I bought large tubing, slit down the middle to put the tubing over your railings. It has worked fantastic. No residue on your railing and you can put it on and take off at your convenience.
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/17/2020 10:13 AM (#959964 - in reply to #959949)
Subject: RE: Tape recommendations for rail mount rod holders

Ya, stay away from the tape unless you're looking to just lock it down, and then soft rubber would work better for that anyway… I used to throw out those lame strips DE provided.

I found that I could move the rod holder better with vinyl tubing versus rubber tubing back when I used to use them. Nowadays, I use the Fat AZ rail mounts… it's more $, but a much better overall way to attach a DE to a rail.

Fat A.Z. Musky Products - Fat A.Z. Musky Products Home
southern comfort
Posted 5/17/2020 11:38 AM (#959971 - in reply to #959949)

Just to clarify ... my "rubber tubing" is really a thick acrylic tube that can be bought in various diameters at any building supply store. You can tighten your DE as tight or lose as you want without impacting your railing.
Emptynet
Posted 5/17/2020 4:51 PM (#959985 - in reply to #959949)
Subject: RE: Tape recommendations for rail mount rod holders

Rubber shelf liner material. About $5 for a 1' X 6' roll.
OH Musky
Posted 5/20/2020 3:57 AM (#960128 - in reply to #959949)

Thanks for the ideas. I've got some time-off this week so I'll venture out to see what tubing is available near here. I was thinking teflon tape but the tubing sounds better.
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/21/2020 8:54 PM (#960208 - in reply to #960128)

OH Musky - 5/20/2020 3:57 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I've got some time-off this week so I'll venture out to see what tubing is available near here. I was thinking teflon tape but the tubing sounds better.

Ya, no tape... if the tubing is a little oversize it's actually better because you can easily just slice off the overlap… you're going to slice it lengthwise to fit over the rail anyway.

I found that rubber did not move or slide as well for the down rods as the vinyl, but any kind of plastic like tubing would do the same job. When you set up the tension, put a rod in the holder and make it almost as tight as possible while still being able to move the rod up and down with 2 hands.
dickP
Posted 5/24/2020 12:26 PM (#960292 - in reply to #959949)

Jerry thanks for the pics and info today.Above and beyond on a holiday weekend plus a rockstar in your boat at the time.(nice non rod holder pic as well)
I talked to Andy Z at Fat AZ after getting your contact info and ended up ordering 4 rail set ups.What a great guy!Their website showed 'out of stock' but he is getting restocked this week.
Dick
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/1/2020 12:59 PM (#960643 - in reply to #960292)

Dick, as you found out Andy is a good guy... and as you will soon find out, he also sells quality products. Always happy to help and now back in town for a couple days so if you have any more trolling/equipment questions you would not be interrupting fishing now

BTW, he also stands behind his products too. I run 2 of his Project-X units and 1 of them developed an issue with the electric motor mid-season last year, I was very impressed when he graciously replaced the entire motor for no charge even though it was several years old.

Edited by Jerry Newman 6/1/2020 2:13 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)