Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Figure 8"s and Trolling Motor

Message Subject: Figure 8"s and Trolling Motor
pstrombe
Posted 5/15/2020 7:54 PM (#959928)
Subject: Figure 8"s and Trolling Motor

I make it a practice to not have the prop turning as I set up and complete the figure 8. If am operating the Trolling Motor from the back I ask the guy on the bow to remind me if I get distracted and have the trolling motor running as he does his figure 8. With the advent of auto pilot and I-pilot I have some companions that simply set a course and never turn off the motor when working a spot and run it right through the figure 8 process. I believe this is costing them fish. Thoughts??
zombietrolling
Posted 5/15/2020 10:19 PM (#959931 - in reply to #959928)
Subject: Re: Figure 8"s and Trolling Motor

When they're hot, they're hot. Unless I got it on a faster speed I generally don't worry about it.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/16/2020 6:31 AM (#959934 - in reply to #959928)

I agree that a hot fish usually won't care. Though it's best to try not to run their head right by the spinning blades. I've seen them spook away when the tm gets turned off or on, a sudden change isn't good either. Drifting has it's place, when the fish are boat-shy.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/16/2020 7:50 AM (#959935 - in reply to #959934)

I definitely think the TM scares fish but either leave it on or off. Don’t suddenly change it. I used to be a “bumper” like you but I’ve switched to a constant guy with the Terrova. If I want to turn it off quickly I just turn the speed dial all the way down. I think the constant bumping scares fish more than the constant hum of the prop.

Edit: come to think of it, I caught just as many fish tuning it off for a figure 8 as I did leaving it. I guess it doesn't matter

Edited by Kirby Budrow 5/16/2020 9:49 AM
pklingen
Posted 5/17/2020 5:36 PM (#959991 - in reply to #959928)

have blown fish out of the maneuver with it on. they didn't like the turbulence in my opinion. i always turn mine off.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)