Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Game Changers

Message Subject: Game Changers
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/12/2020 1:32 PM (#959732 - in reply to #959727)
Subject: Re: Game Changers

MACK - 5/12/2020 11:04 AM True Jerry. I understand a lot of people would immediately take the initial question, in the initial thread, by the original poster, to be about: gear. But he didn't state it specifically to be about gear. 

I guess I tend to disagree because the original post specifically references lures in the opening sentence;

“The "Let down bait" thread has me wondering what real game changers have come along over the years with regard to muskie fishing. I shared my opinion that no lure has come along as a true "game changer." Some will argue that double 10's or large plastics did in fact "change the game." I don't think so, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise.”

Then he specifically recommends debating equipment;

“I'll suggest finders, gps, and even trolling motors (in particular "spot lock"). I don't have power poles, but I can imagine some would say shallow water anchors for sure. 9'+ rods instead of broom handles maybe too? Better "reels" (someone will surely say the Tranx)”?

Given the context as outlined above in the original post, the parameters were established IMHO.

With that said; I absolutely agree that C&R has heavily influenced the sport, it basically IS the sport. However, it was still a pretty viable sport before C&R took hold and it evolved into what is today. However, where would the sport of muskie fishing be without stocking?

I would be willing to concede that they're probably close enough to even as changing the game though, if they are to be included.

MACK
Posted 5/12/2020 1:47 PM (#959733 - in reply to #959459)

Fair enough.

But this one question, in his initial post is what caught my interest and is obviously what got me to thinking, the way I thought about it:

"What has really changed the game for you? "

Reason being. I started fishing for Northern Pike and Muskie in the state of Michigan back in the early 80s. The population of Muskies in the specific water that I started on, was not a large population in that water, at that time. C & R...and stocking...started to change that. I live and work in the state of Indiana. None of our Indiana lakes have muskies as a native species and none of our bodies of water would have muskies in them, if it weren't for the stocking efforts.

So..for me...that was the game changer for me. Personally.

I still have many baits in my tackle boxes from way back when and those baits still produce some nice fish to this very day. As well, in addition to the newer baits of today.

I personally can't find any one piece of specific equipment, gear, boat, nor bait, that has greatly increased my catch rates moreso than any other.

But...if you were to hold me to the fire and make me pick one piece of gear/equipment that I have benefited the most from that would be: GPS and map chips. Hands down.

But man-o-man do I miss those glory days of being a young kid in a 14' aluminum fishing boat with either nothing more than a pair of oars, or maybe that of an electric trolling motor, to then maybe have graduated up to an 8hp outboard...out working the drop offs and the weedlines...searching for those drop off and weedlines via old-school methods by either sight fishing or by way of dropping a weight over the side of the boat attached to a string to mark depths and seeking out fish that way....before we ever had the luxury of any kind of "depth/fish finder" in our possession.

Sometimes, I miss those simple days. Sometimes...I think we get caught up in all of the hype of the makes, models, brands, colors of gear and baits and boats and electronics and loose sight of the "less is more" concept.

Heck. Anymore these days, I'd just be happy to get out on the water, in the boat, just to simply be out there. If a fish were to be caught, that'd just be an added bonus. My life has refocused my attention towards my family and my kids. I've taken a bit of a hiatus from the sport of fishing for the past 10 years or so. I know the next four to five years will fly by in a blink of an eye and my kids will be grown and out of the house. And that is when I hope to get back into my same old boat, using the same old rods, reels and baits and gear...and get out there...and simply go enjoy the act of fishing and probably catch some nice fish too.
hawkeye9
Posted 5/13/2020 9:09 AM (#959771 - in reply to #959459)

You raise a fair point, Jerry. I was, in fact, really only considering gear as "game changers." I hadn't even considered CPR or stocking or information. To your point, then, the internet wouldn't really apply either.

As to stocking, perhaps it is a 50/50 thing with CPR , but I should have I thought about that too after Bondy mentioned catch and release. I live in the southern range, and I fish on a lake (Kinkaid) that depends fully on stocking with no natural reproduction. So for whatever it's worth: Jerry and Bondy both win! (hahaha)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)