Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Game Changers

Message Subject: Game Changers
hawkeye9
Posted 5/6/2020 8:33 PM (#959459)
Subject: Game Changers

The "Let down bait" thread has me wondering what real game changers have come along over the years with regard to muskie fishing. I shared my opinion that no lure has come along as a true "game changer." Some will argue that double 10's or large plastics did in fact "change the game." I don't think so, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise. Now that I've written this I'm thinking this has been discussed before, but my quick search didn't find it so maybe its worth another look anyway. What has really changed the game for you?

I'll suggest finders, gps, and even trolling motors (in particular "spot lock"). I don't have power poles, but I can imagine some would say shallow water anchors for sure. 9'+ rods instead of broom handles maybe too? Better "reels" (someone will surely say the Tranx)? I don't know.
Sudszee
Posted 5/6/2020 9:02 PM (#959460 - in reply to #959459)
Subject: Re: Game Changers

Has there been any new baits in 25+ years?. Many takes on what has already been made but nothing really new.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/6/2020 9:24 PM (#959461 - in reply to #959460)

I’d argue that the Terrova is in the top 5 best things that ever happened to muskie fishing. Yes, Musky Mayhem bucktails are there for me too. Along with lakemaster chips, high speed reels, and side imaging.
39 degrees
Posted 5/6/2020 10:03 PM (#959464 - in reply to #959459)

I have been hard core muskie fishing since 1979. I would feel completely comfortable fishing now with the lures, line, electronics, boat, and reels from that time period. Of course there have bern improvements in all of those since 1979. However, the true game changer in my opinion are the rods. They are 100% better than 1979. There wasn't even a graphite muskie rod in 1979. All rods were 6 foot or less fiberglass, totally worthless compared to today.
North of 8
Posted 5/6/2020 10:16 PM (#959465 - in reply to #959464)

I started musky fishing in the mid 70s and while modern rods are huge improvement, I think modern trolling motors are the single biggest improvement. You either drifted or took turns rowing when I started. There were a few trolling motors around but if it wasn't dead calm, they didn't help much. I was away from musky fishing for a number of years and when I returned that was what so impressed me, the ability to work a spot, to move in a controlled manner with very reliable and powerful trolling motor.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 5/6/2020 11:32 PM (#959466 - in reply to #959459)

Lakemaster and spot lock are both huge. I can fish so many areas with only myself in the boat that I could not do without spot lock. I remember being in my brothers boat on bigger waters trying to hold the map in the wind and spray navigating before GPS and lake chips. It was a royal pain but I guess even a paper map would be a game changer from the time when there was none.

Kirby,
I am surprised you mention the Terrova. I am not trying to knock your comment or opinion. I remember fishing in my buddies boat on LOTW about 10 years ago with his Terrova and I honestly wanted to rip it off the boat and throw it in the lake. I couldnt stand that thing. I had a Foretrex at the time and the cable steer vs electric steer is night and day better for boat control. The only thing I did like about the Terrova was spot lock. This was long before the Ultrex that I now run. Has the Terrova changed in some way from 10 years ago or so? I do see people running them I just dont understand why and find myself wondering if these people have ever used a cable steer.
KingT
Posted 5/7/2020 5:43 AM (#959467 - in reply to #959459)

Cable steers are terrible! Terrova vs fortrex isn't even a fair comparison imo.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/7/2020 6:16 AM (#959468 - in reply to #959467)

I far prefer a terrova over any cable steer because I almost never fish from the front of the boat. I’d rather net a fish for my boat partner than make them net one for me. Mine is 6 years old and has no issues. I don’t treat it well either. Wouldn’t fish without one.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/7/2020 6:26 AM (#959469 - in reply to #959459)

I'd echo that Ulterra or Terrova trolling motors have made things much easier. Side imaging is getting scary, I'm actually concerned for the fish. Braided lines have really been a game changer too, that old dacron was terrible.
esox109
Posted 5/7/2020 6:40 AM (#959470 - in reply to #959459)

Wow since double 10's aren't considered a game changer I'd have to go back to the invention of the automobile! LOL
I mean really Cowgirls and showgirls weren't game changers??? I clearly remember the quiet rumble and secrecy in it's infancy and it's a lure that actually did live up to the hype in my experience when I got my hands on some. You can go on youtube right now and watch some old videos of the early days of Brad Hoppe taping Jason H. winning tournaments using the cowgirls and showgirls as well as I clearly remember Brad himself telling me way back then that Jason was boating a TON of BIG fish. No I am not tight with Brad nor am I a bait salesman but I did see him on the water rarely back then and I remember thinking "Is there actually a bait that can put big fish in the boat that consistently?" I mean a lot of you guys can remember trying to find big fish and stalking it for an entire season and aligning the weather and hopefully the right bait to get it to mess up right? Then you could throw on this new magic bait that was super hard pulling yet angry giants would come out of the woodwork to destroy them! There's a reason that all you heard in most boats was blade clanking all over the lake and those baits weren't called Headbangers! Lol.
I think many many things have been game changers for me. How about boats? I mean I remember the old crap I had nearly all my life (Which I thought was just fine and WAS even tho I had to manually bail the water out every hour) and once I bought my newer aircraft carrier with a super wide backside, large casting decks, powerful big motor with a small kicker, powerful foot pedal controlled electric trolling motor, a super dry ride on cold fall days, and on and on it made it sooooo much easier to fish ALL day. So the older I get the more everything becomes a game changer because now I can throw a 2 pound bait on an ultralight rod, reel in a double 10 without having to get carpal tunnel surgery every 6 months, ride in 5 foot waves on an air ride boat seat (I do not have the money for this lil game changer yet), and set my trolling motor to autopilot and forget about it while I cast away on a prime spot. So I say nearly everything is a game changer if it helps you stay out longer.
As far as "game changer" baits go and full disclosure here every year I drool over all the game changers I've purchased and somehow I have to find the right time, place, presentation, and fish for them to live up to that name. So I say if you haven't caught any fish in awhile the bait you have on when she comes to call and you get bit is in fact a game changer.
If The automobile wasn't far enough back for ya how bout we go to the ultimate game changer that came around near the beginning of time and which will be poppin up tonight.....a little thing called the MOON! I'm going to be out tonight taking advantage of the first game changer and clipping on some game changing lures so wish me luck!!!
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/7/2020 7:01 AM (#959471 - in reply to #959459)

Been in this game for over 60 years. As for lures, the Double Cowgirl became what I considered a true "magic lure" and said so when I introduced Brad as a speaker at the Chicago Muskie Show a few years back. And of course since then, Bulldawgs have to be added to the nearly "magic" lure category, as well as other rubber like the Red October and the Bondy Bait. These in the latter category, of course have to be "worked" properly to have maxim effectiveness, whereas the Cowgirls just do it on their own!

39 Degrees: Yes, there was a graphite rod in 1979 (Skyline I believe it was), but it was JUNK as far as muskie fishing was concerned! The late Al Skaar and I both had one and we lost at least 40 muskies between us before we realized that it was that #*^@ new "graphite rod". It just had no backbone.
dickP
Posted 5/7/2020 8:06 AM (#959474 - in reply to #959459)

Fun thread.
If memory serves(who knows anymore)my first musky was in N Wisconsin in the 60s while attending UW Madison.I believe it may have been a Pflueger bucktail modified with added weight.Anyway a real contraption of sorts that made D10 class noises BUT only while airborne,not in the water.
The first real 'game changer' for me was shortly before that when Lowrance came out with the green box in the late 50s.Everything I fished became more catchable with that and suddenly I started to 'get it'..
In musky fishing before that I suspect the Suick was a game changer when introduced.
Since my first musky,for me the only real game changer has been the D10.Zero doubt about that for me.A true 'night and day bait'.Not sure if I should love or hate Brad and wife for that.:-)
14ledo81
Posted 5/7/2020 8:29 AM (#959478 - in reply to #959466)

jboutdoorguy - 5/6/2020 11:32 PM

Lakemaster and spot lock are both huge. I can fish so many areas with only myself in the boat that I could not do without spot lock. I remember being in my brothers boat on bigger waters trying to hold the map in the wind and spray navigating before GPS and lake chips. It was a royal pain but I guess even a paper map would be a game changer from the time when there was none.

Kirby,
I am surprised you mention the Terrova. I am not trying to knock your comment or opinion. I remember fishing in my buddies boat on LOTW about 10 years ago with his Terrova and I honestly wanted to rip it off the boat and throw it in the lake. I couldnt stand that thing. I had a Foretrex at the time and the cable steer vs electric steer is night and day better for boat control. The only thing I did like about the Terrova was spot lock. This was long before the Ultrex that I now run. Has the Terrova changed in some way from 10 years ago or so? I do see people running them I just dont understand why and find myself wondering if these people have ever used a cable steer.

Kirby touched on this already, but I will as well.

The way I fish, I could not use a cable steer. I fish in the back of the boat as well. I just leave the trolling motor on (2-5) depending on the wind, and make steering adjustments (with the remote) between casts. Just keep a steady pace along the piece of structure I am fishing.
CincySkeez
Posted 5/7/2020 8:51 AM (#959482 - in reply to #959459)

everyone has touched on the obvious stuff like dawgs and double tens. For me the real game changer has been Jet Drive outboards. Yes they have been around for a while, but being able to access deep holes above previously unnavigable rapids changed the game.

I-Pilot link is also so high on the list, I love having my boat drive me around.
Brett Waldera
Posted 5/7/2020 9:05 AM (#959484 - in reply to #959459)

GPS, Side Imaging, Live Imaging, Map Chips, and the internet.
It is crazy how fast information travels today vs 30 years ago and that does have a major impact on muskie fishing!
BNelson
Posted 5/7/2020 9:22 AM (#959489 - in reply to #959484)

boats in general and all the toys on them have opened up big water to so many more anglers... look at the boats that were top of the line fishing boats in the 60s/70s, you wouldn't be caught dead in one of those on GB/LSC/LOTW now... all the big rangers guys have, map chips, good trolling motor, batteries, and reliable outboards have made fishing easier. not sure I'd say any lure is a game changer as put hooks on a hot dog and have 10,000 musky guys throw it fish will bite it... finding and staying on fish is getting almost too easy with all the fancy electronics...
ToddM
Posted 5/7/2020 9:23 AM (#959490 - in reply to #959459)

I will add braided line.

Cable drives are for bass boats putting the nose of the boat in position and pitch. I can't stand them. I have wasted so many casts being in a boat with a cable drive. Running them isn't fun at all being off balance. My terrova on my big boat and hand control on my little boat keeps me perfect all the time. I could not ever say that with a cable drive or a remote on a lanyard for that matter.
14ledo81
Posted 5/7/2020 9:37 AM (#959493 - in reply to #959490)

ToddM - 5/7/2020 9:23 AM

I will add braided line.

Cable drives are for bass boats putting the nose of the boat in position and pitch. I can't stand them. I have wasted so many casts being in a boat with a cable drive. Running them isn't fun at all being off balance. My terrova on my big boat and hand control on my little boat keeps me perfect all the time. I could not ever say that with a cable drive or a remote on a lanyard for that matter.

That makes sense. Bass guys are more often poking in an and out of smaller areas, docks, weed openings, etc. I can see a cable drive excelling in that scenario.
Lester Neigard
Posted 5/7/2020 10:34 AM (#959497 - in reply to #959459)

I always love the cable drive vs. power drive argument. I am in the cable drive category. The precision boat control ability, especially under adverse conditions, is second to none. I grew up bass fishing, so I'm sure that leads to my bias, but I absolutely can't stand the Terrovas. I would consider spot lock a "game changer."
North of 8
Posted 5/7/2020 10:41 AM (#959498 - in reply to #959497)

Lester Neigard - 5/7/2020 10:34 AM

I always love the cable drive vs. power drive argument. I am in the cable drive category. The precision boat control ability, especially under adverse conditions, is second to none. I grew up bass fishing, so I'm sure that leads to my bias, but I absolutely can't stand the Terrovas. I would consider spot lock a "game changer."

Just wondering, the advantage of the cable drive is that it responds more quickly? Have never used one, but I know there are folks who feel very strongly about them. Had a co-worker put a Terrova on his boat and then go back to the dealer a couple weeks later and get a cable drive because he just was not comfortable with non-cable drive.
sworrall
Posted 5/7/2020 10:50 AM (#959500 - in reply to #959493)

14ledo81 - 5/7/2020 9:37 AM

ToddM - 5/7/2020 9:23 AM

I will add braided line.

That makes sense. Bass guys are more often poking in an and out of smaller areas, docks, weed openings, etc. I can see a cable drive excelling in that scenario.

The Ultrex is electric cable driven and light years ahead of the Terrova I ran for responsiveness and ease of use. No difference in balance at all as the steering is electric power steering and FAST using a well designed low profile foot pedal. I have used both extensively and would not give up my Ultrex now.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/7/2020 10:58 AM (#959504 - in reply to #959498)

I'm also curious as to why spot lock is a game changer for a few of you? I like it, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

To each their own on the trolling motor style. Just think though, you take your wife/girlfriend out fishing with your cable steer and you are catching fish up front while she struggles to net your fish from the back. I see those videos on youtube and they're just embarrassing. Give your boat partner first crack at the fish. Drive the boat in such a way from the back, that you can put yourself in position to catch one too.
BNelson
Posted 5/7/2020 11:49 AM (#959505 - in reply to #959504)

fishing and controlling the boat in 2-3 footers is also a heck of a lot easier from the back of the boat than playing Rodeo on the bow!
39 degrees
Posted 5/7/2020 12:19 PM (#959507 - in reply to #959459)

Hey larry. I bought a skyline muskie rod right when they came out and pretty sure it was after 1979 - looked really cool with the orange graphics. Regardless which year it came out I gree with you it was junk. My point about the rods is that, as far as casting, all the game changer baits mentioned before are, in my opinion, less important if you cant cast and figure eight effectively. Casting a double ten for 14 hours a day and figure eighting properly would be reallly tough with a 6 foot fiberglass rod. Dacron line and a Garcia 7000 would allow it but the 6 foot fiberglass rod would be brutal. Again just my opinion
ToddM
Posted 5/7/2020 12:24 PM (#959509 - in reply to #959459)

Cable drive, feet aren't planted with a captain Morgan pose, pedal moves from the position you left it, it's on or off. All those things take my eye off what I am doing. My terrova doesn't I can make foot pedal corrections, several in fact during a cast. My hand control is even faster twist turn I can do it as fast as you can say it Every time a cable drive is turned on a cast is ruined the boat just moved after sitting can't get a figure eight or heaven forbid you are working a glider, just straight reel it back in. Immediate response is the only benefit I could see but as far as boat position no thanks. I ran one in a river a week ago and I know it was costing me fish.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 5/7/2020 12:41 PM (#959512 - in reply to #959459)

I think the spot lock is a game changer because I can now fish shorelines by myself where the wind is piling in and if I get a fish I can spot lock and not get blown into hazards. Even with someone else in the boat it is nice to assist the other person with a fish in the net without worry about rocks or shore. I have also used it to get shallow snags out by myself in windy conditions.

I completely understand letting the person in the front get first crack at the prime casts and if this is the main reason for a Terrova I respect the opinion. A friend that guides does this for his clients but with an Ulterra. With my Ultrex I settle for at times letting the person in the back cast to prime structure before I do.

Yes there is more up and down in 2-3 footers in the bow BUT I would not consider controlling the boat in these conditions on an unfamiliar rocky shoreline from the back of the boat. Have had way to many shallow rocks show their face at the last second.

The ability to never have to look down at the trolling motor or pedal to know what direction I am going when applying power I think is very nice and efficient. Being able to multi task by turning controlled with power completely from feel is great.

I have no reason to care what everybody else is running for a trolling motor but I will never agree with someone who says they can control a boat as good with electric steer as I can with cable. Boat control is my number one priority with a trolling motor and if it isnt someone elses thats 100% ok with me. As long as we are all happy with what we have thats all that matters.

Lester Neigard
Posted 5/7/2020 1:09 PM (#959515 - in reply to #959459)

I think jboutdoorguy nailed it. I never have to look at the trolling motor to know where I'm going. It is all based on foot feel of the pedal. The precision and responsiveness can also not be matched.

As for fishing from the bow, I have never had boat partners have a hard time putting fish in the boat. And there's rarely an issue netting. They just come to the casting deck to net when I catch one. I can see so much better from the bow too. My bow sits higher, so my view is always better from the front.

I had a friend that was used to power drive motors and didn't understand why I refused to use one. It took him a couple of days using a cable drive for him to admit he will never go back. The boat control with a cable is unmatched.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 5/7/2020 1:30 PM (#959517 - in reply to #959459)

ToddM,
When you say the pedal moves from the position you left it this is not true with an Ultrex. It does stay where you left it. For other cable steers cable tension can adjust this but agreed not to a point of zero movement. What do you mean its on or off and what is taking your eye off what you are doing? When you talk of several foot pedal corrections in a cast do you mean with constant power on the prop? If yes Ultrex can do this also without looking down. I dont understand what you mean every time a cable drive is turned on a cast is ruined.
BNelson
Posted 5/7/2020 1:34 PM (#959518 - in reply to #959517)

a little off topic but...as far as putting fish in the boat, front to back for sure both guys can catch fish... but I took a look at the fish over 50" from front to back in my boat and it's 2 to 1 front to back.. while 45" fish are pretty even, when you look at 50s the numbers become blatantly clear the front has the advantage.... use whatever you like. I know my boat control doesn't suffer from using an Ulterra vs cable drive.
there are pros and cons to both. Use whatever suits you best.

Edited by BNelson 5/7/2020 1:36 PM
ToddM
Posted 5/7/2020 1:42 PM (#959520 - in reply to #959517)

I don't know what model minnkota cable drive it is but it's newer. It has.a big foot pedal. I don't like being off balance in waves. I run my terrova in constant as slow as I can run it for the wind conditions. I rarely fish fast burning bucktails I am precision casting and making accurate casts with gliders and crankbaits. Going slow with any wind I am touching the foot pedal making corrections constantly to keep the boat positioned properly. That boat position also changes based on one, two or three people. I can easily make those changes but I do wish the terrova foot pedal was a quarter the size it is without the food pad. If the cable drive isn't on constant and you hit the momentary button to move the boat, which will be much faster than I am running the boat because you are reactive correcting vs my proactive correcting my cast that I made is not 20ft behind the boat can't work it correctly and can't figure eight. Wasted casts. I have yet to see a cable drive work for me.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)