Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Teaching Kids to Fish - Remotely

Message Subject: Teaching Kids to Fish - Remotely
North of 8
Posted 5/3/2020 8:02 AM (#959259)
Subject: Teaching Kids to Fish - Remotely

My son is a physical education/health teacher in Milwaukee. His students are predominately low income Hispanic kids. When they went to remote teaching he had to scramble to figure out new lesson plans but has been pleasantly surprised by the student engagement and feedback. His current classes in include one on fishing. The idea was that it is a lifetime sport that gets you outside. Originally they would have been practicing casting on the school lawn with some cheap spinning rods he scrounged from somewhere, taking them down to the river behind the school that has a small salmon run in the spring showing them the fish, etc. (not actually fishing for them) Obviously he can't do that so one of the things they are doing is coming up with a dozen questions for fishing guides. My son contacted guides ahead of time and he was really grateful that not only did virtually every guide agree, but thought it was a great ide to teach kids to fish in school. He was just blown away by the guides enthusiasm for helping the kids. So many of these students have parents that work at more than one low paying job and just don't have money for expensive hobbies, but Milwaukee has a lot of bank fishing opportunities in parks, along rivers and of course the lakefront.

While visiting my son and his wife last year we took a walk down by the art museum and while the most common fish we saw were carp also saw either big trout or salmon and a couple of huge small mouth. In fact when my son pointed out one of the smallies I was sure it was a carp until I got a better look because it was so big.

Hope the kids get a chance to do the fishing for real and thanks to all the guides that are taking time to help them.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/3/2020 8:29 AM (#959261 - in reply to #959259)
Subject: Re: Teaching Kids to Fish - Remotely

Sounds like a great way to get kids outside. Thanks for sharing.
ToddM
Posted 5/3/2020 10:35 AM (#959263 - in reply to #959259)

I am part of FRV down here in fibland and we have a pretty robust youth program. One thing for sure when you are doing stuff for kids people will help out. I have gotten some great deals at flea markets buying bucktail supplies, rods, reels cleaned up, fixes, respooled and ready to go. I have been able to make well over 100 bucktails with the supplies so far this year. Last year we gave everyone at the Schaumburg HS fishing club a baitcaster combo and each participant at our One Hope United event a spincast combo. All were donated to us by Bass Pro through the rod and reels buyback they do in the spring. Some are like new, some need cleanup and repair while others are too far gone. When you participate in that program that what happens with the equipment. Repurposed for charity. Not only has it been a great thing to be involved in but it also bolsters out club's image and increases our ability to fundraise for stocking and research.
North of 8
Posted 5/3/2020 10:43 AM (#959265 - in reply to #959263)

Thanks Todd, I will mention the Bass Pro shop program to my son. His kids for the most part don't have a lot extra. Something like 80% of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch, which the school has continued on a take out basis during the Safer at Home program.
ToddM
Posted 5/3/2020 10:51 AM (#959268 - in reply to #959265)

You can sift through and find some good stuff but I took apart fixed and cleaned alot of reels and rod guides. Around 50 combos. If it gives someone the opportunity to fish it's worth it. I talked to the Chicago Park District and they said they would accept working rod and reel combos. I would imagine others would as well. We haven't done that yet but we may if we get enough equipment.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)