Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Travel Into WI

Message Subject: Travel Into WI
ordmusky
Posted 4/17/2020 10:36 AM (#958198)
Subject: Travel Into WI

Saw yesterday that the WI Gov extended their stay at home order until Memorial Day weekend. I live in IL and have a home in Northern WI. Been trying to do some research on how out of state travel is affected by these orders and I want to go check on the house since it has been unattended for a little over 2 months now. I'm fully aware of the orders in both states and WI rule to quarantine if you travel in, but I would be bringing food and everything that I need and not have to leave my property, and would be staying there for a while. More interested if police have been truly enforcing any out of state travel or patrolling the boarder etc. Thanks guys
Cfollow
Posted 4/17/2020 10:47 AM (#958200 - in reply to #958198)
Subject: RE: Travel Into WI

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/travel.htm

No law just a strong suggestion. I frankly would and will be ignoring all illegal orders.
North of 8
Posted 4/17/2020 11:12 AM (#958204 - in reply to #958200)
Subject: Re: Travel Into WI

Vilas and Oneida counties have asked folks with seasonal homes to stay where they are but if they do come up to please isolate for 14 days. Their concern, according to press releases is for the high percentage of seniors living in the counties, highest in the state. I can't see what the harm would be in coming under the conditions you describe. But, I know a couple of property owners on the chain where I live came up on Easter Weekend, kind of a family tradition for both, and a year round resident who lives near them was not happy. I couldn't see the problem, but it really bothered him. Before retiring, I lived in SE WI and had a seasonal place where we built our retirement home and I would be coming up about now to just check on things. Bring my supplies, check it out, no close neighbors, I just don't see where that should cause concern.
ToddM
Posted 4/17/2020 12:13 PM (#958210 - in reply to #958198)

Patriotic orders none the less.

Edited by ToddM 4/17/2020 12:14 PM
sukrchukr
Posted 4/17/2020 1:17 PM (#958222 - in reply to #958198)

Bringing your own gasoline to get back to Ill as well??

Edited by sukrchukr 4/17/2020 1:19 PM
Windy City
Posted 4/17/2020 1:31 PM (#958225 - in reply to #958198)

You can go wherever you want. Assume services (food related) will be limited wherever you go, gasoline is not an issue.
pstrombe
Posted 4/17/2020 4:27 PM (#958258 - in reply to #958198)

I recently traveled from MN to Iron Mountain MI to look at an accident scene and had no issues. Just took a cooler with food and water along with a pillow. Traffic was light and made good time. Law Enforcement doesn't want public contact anymore than you do. Watched numerous speeders go unmolested through a radar set yesterday. That being said I think is only concern should be your neighbors. If you have nosey neighbors they may complain to the sheriff but unlike MI there is no restriction to travel between properties you own and require maintenance.
dick sweeb
Posted 4/18/2020 7:29 AM (#958312 - in reply to #958198)

Went up to our place in Vilas a couple weekends back. Didn't enter any Essential businesses, get any fuel north of Wausau, or come within 100 feet of anybody while at our property. We packed in our food (and a new bottle of Scotch). It was a great, national news-free weekend. Will repeat very soon.
mikie
Posted 4/18/2020 8:22 AM (#958318 - in reply to #958198)

"This won't go anywhere if you keep going everywhere." m
ToddM
Posted 4/18/2020 8:46 AM (#958319 - in reply to #958258)

pstrombe - 4/17/2020 4:27 PM

I recently traveled from MN to Iron Mountain MI to look at an accident scene and had no issues. Just took a cooler with food and water along with a pillow. Traffic was light and made good time. Law Enforcement doesn't want public contact anymore than you do. Watched numerous speeders go unmolested through a radar set yesterday. That being said I think is only concern should be your neighbors. If you have nosey neighbors they may complain to the sheriff but unlike MI there is no restriction to travel between properties you own and require maintenance.

I noticed that. The few times I was out for work, there were people doing their own fast and furious movies. Seen it every time I got on the tollway.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 4/18/2020 3:55 PM (#958355 - in reply to #958312)

dick sweeb - 4/18/2020 7:29 AM

Went up to our place in Vilas a couple weekends back. Didn't enter any Essential businesses, get any fuel north of Wausau, or come within 100 feet of anybody while at our property. We packed in our food (and a new bottle of Scotch). It was a great, national news-free weekend. Will repeat very soon.

Been going Up all winter, and Spring. Have had the place a long time. Decades....Grandfather gave me the joint. It's Tradition.
Most locals dont know me, which is fine. Don't visit the local establishments, bring my own stuff...except for live bait. I have no problems getting that since they know me like their own. Friends Up There are better than some Family, so We have no issues. Buy my gas up there, pay a good price.
So for those of you who say keep the fibs out...Ha. Some of us well,
We've already been there.
sworrall
Posted 4/18/2020 4:05 PM (#958356 - in reply to #958198)

The idea is to SLOW the spread, not stop it entirely. Before anyone answers me, think (at least try to see past your personal politics or beliefs at the reality of this) about that before getting all frigging snippy and calling me 'dumb'. We have six total cases in my county, all quarantined, and some of the surrounding counties have zero. We have entire floors at hospitals empty across much of the country. I cant go get my standard kidney failure regular care so I have zero idea how I'm doing on that front, all appointments cancelled until June. If it stays this way there will BE no curve until it's opened back up again and then it'll be straight up like a shot as it has been elsewhere where it's leveling off now.

I will without any doubt have to self isolate until there's a vaccine because if I get that stuff, I will probably not make it. Personal responsibility is what will work, and those without any will get sick and spread it to those who make mistakes or have no choice, like nursing home residents.

That was the plan, people. Flatten the curve. Not flatline it.
North of 8
Posted 4/18/2020 5:14 PM (#958364 - in reply to #958198)

FYI, all current policies may be subject to change. The leaders in the state senate and assembly have stated that they will be going to the state supreme court to challenge the governor's authority to maintain the current shelter at home policies beyond the original April 24 date. The story online did not give any additional information.
sworrall
Posted 4/18/2020 5:32 PM (#958365 - in reply to #958364)

North of 8 - 4/18/2020 5:14 PM

FYI, all current policies may be subject to change. The leaders in the state senate and assembly have stated that they will be going to the state supreme court to challenge the governor's authority to maintain the current shelter at home policies beyond the original April 24 date. The story online did not give any additional information.

Think that will go anywhere? I don't really see the difference between the first order and second except a little loosening, is the premise it's causing harm?
North of 8
Posted 4/18/2020 5:37 PM (#958366 - in reply to #958365)

sworrall - 4/18/2020 5:32 PM

North of 8 - 4/18/2020 5:14 PM

Think that will go anywhere? I don't really see the difference between the first order and second except a little loosening, is the premise it's causing harm?

Don't know but an earlier story made it sound like the governor had the power for a 30 day emergency order, which the WI Supreme Court affirmed 5-2 but the question was beyond the 30 days. The statement from Assembly Leader Vos did not lay out the legal grounds of the challenge, it was heavy on rhetoric, light on legal. I am guessing there is no precedent.
sworrall
Posted 4/18/2020 5:44 PM (#958367 - in reply to #958366)

Sounds about right.
szczochu13
Posted 4/18/2020 8:39 PM (#958376 - in reply to #958198)

How do you guys think resort owners will deal with that if it extends into vacation season? I've already put down a deposit for early June and alltough I've been looking forward for get away from this craziness I don't wanna be the a hole who disobeyes the rules.
RLSea
Posted 4/18/2020 8:44 PM (#958377 - in reply to #958356)

Nobody is going to call you dumb, at least not me. There is however a troubling trend toward increasing incidence of cases in rural areas. All it takes is one asymptomatic carrier to spread the virus and you get what has happened in Kentucky, Colorado, southern Illinois, and Idaho. Too many rural areas are not equipped to handle this kind of rapid spread.
szczochu13
Posted 4/18/2020 8:46 PM (#958378 - in reply to #958377)

Guess no vacation then. Bummer. Any of you guys have any idea on how the deposit situation is going to be dealt with? I feel for resorts but also understand people who save up whole year to get away for a week.

Edited by szczochu13 4/18/2020 8:52 PM
TCESOX
Posted 4/18/2020 9:47 PM (#958380 - in reply to #958198)

Make sure you stay in contact with them. I know many resorts in Minnesota, are going to do whatever they can, to keep from having to return deposits. They will be as flexible as they can, with rescheduling, or applying the deposit to next year even.
chuckski
Posted 4/20/2020 10:25 AM (#958468 - in reply to #958198)

Even with the travel bands here in Colorado there have been reports of off trial skiers and snowmobiles starting avalanches and with some death's too.
At one spot hi way workers plowed a pile of snow to block a parking lot. (to keep people out)
As far as people driving fast a couple weeks ago a motorcycle was clocked at 168 mph
kdawg
Posted 5/11/2020 5:08 PM (#959698 - in reply to #958468)

Old thread, but does anybody have any current updates? Kdawg
North of 8
Posted 5/11/2020 9:59 PM (#959713 - in reply to #958376)

szczochu13 - 4/18/2020 8:39 PM

How do you guys think resort owners will deal with that if it extends into vacation season? I've already put down a deposit for early June and alltough I've been looking forward for get away from this craziness I don't wanna be the a hole who disobeyes the rules.

I did have a chance to talk to a fellow that has a small resort on the chain where I live this weekend. He has 3 nice cabins, each separated by at least 100'. Almost 300' feet of beach. He is still renting but said he already had 6 cancellations for June. He said while he was a little nervous about folks traveling from hard hit areas like Milwaukee County, he was open for business. Taking the necessary precautions, etc. Just didn't know whether people will want to come when the restaurants, bars, gift shops, etc. are still closed. He tends to get families on vacation rather than hardcore fishermen.
ToddM
Posted 5/12/2020 9:25 AM (#959720 - in reply to #958198)

I have not seen an article past the report if you come into Wisconsin to your out of state residence you are to quarentine for two weeks. Seen it across my FB feed three days ago. I wonder if resort owners are allowed to book out of state residents?
muskiehunter51
Posted 5/12/2020 6:07 PM (#959746 - in reply to #959720)

I have a resort booked in northern Wisconsin and they have not canceled it yet. ???????
ToddC
Posted 5/12/2020 8:14 PM (#959758 - in reply to #958198)

Just spoke to a friend of mine who has a little resort on our lake near Tomahawk and he is all book up pretty much for the season. He just had a Chicago police officer up last weekend. He said if it weren’t for the bars not being open you’d never know anything was up. The last I heard was there was one case in the county (Lincoln). I will be heading up for the weekend to get the pontoon out and do some fishing, can’t wait!
BMuskyX
Posted 5/13/2020 12:46 AM (#959766 - in reply to #958198)

I have deposits in at two resorts in Vilas county, one in June and one in July. I have spoke to both and they are going to be open but have changed some of their policies to make it easier for them to accommodate guests with minimal risk...hopefully.

Jaimy
North of 8
Posted 5/13/2020 4:01 PM (#959810 - in reply to #958198)

The Milwaukee Sentinel carried a story yesterday that said the state had hit 5 of the six benchmarks needed to be hit before Safer at Home is lifted or at least modified. I would think that if that trend continues, going to resorts in June should be a go. The question would be if going out to eat is a big part of your vacation time. From what I have read, even in states that have allowed restaurants to open, capacity is sharply reduced to make room for social distancing etc. Couple of my favorite places up here pack you in at tables that are shoulder to shoulder. Think that could be a problem.
North of 8
Posted 5/13/2020 5:59 PM (#959816 - in reply to #958198)

The Wis. State Supreme Court just ruled that the Safer at Home guidelines issued by the Governor and the state health authority over stepped their authority. So, for the time being all restrictions issued by the state are eliminated. So far, the Republican leadership who filed the suit that lead to the decision have not made public a plan to replace the governor's. So, stay tuned and keep in mind that local government can still put rules in place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)