Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Do you like a boat you're in, or on?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Do you like a boat you're in, or on?
Smell_Esox
Posted 3/17/2020 11:28 AM (#956066)
Subject: Do you like a boat you're in, or on?

I was looking at some boat websites and at layouts, and started to think if I liked a boat that had more floor space and less deck space or what exactly would constitute my perfect floor plan. I like the Ranger 620 series boats but would rather have a little more deck on back for the partner. Maybe a little less front deck, a decent open floor area, and a little bigger back deck. Maybe the removable back deck is the best overall option (just take it out when fishing with family or fishing other species). Maybe the Skeeters have the best layout for me.

Some of the other boats like Vexus or the Nitro boats seem to be almost all deck and very little floor space. To me you are more "on" these boats than in them. Not sure I'd like that honestly.

IMO, the boats that have no back deck are not what I like. The guy in back has to have something decent to stand on. But I like some floor space when I'm out fishing walleyes or panfish.

What do you all prefer? Comments?
ajconboy
Posted 3/17/2020 12:37 PM (#956068 - in reply to #956066)
Subject: Re: Do you like a boat you're in, or on?

The 620 has the best of both worlds from a storage standpoint and deck space. Add a deck extension in the rear of a 620 ranger and you have one of the better back decks out there for standing on and fishing from. You can put it in or take it out depending on the type of fishing you are doing and the amount of floor space you want.

Edited by ajconboy 3/17/2020 12:39 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/17/2020 3:52 PM (#956078 - in reply to #956068)

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12...

The way this one is set up, the guy in the back can only stand… but we really don't do that much casting anymore anyway. Like I said in the thread above, he would not install seat bases in his rack, which frankly seemed kind of silly to me because it would be a piece of cake.

I like having the extra floor space with the smaller casting deck, and then there's no need to ever remove the deck if you want to troll. However, if all you plan on doing is casting though, the removable deck would be a solid option.

For trolling; I like that you don't bang your shins up against the Ranger fiberglass edge in front of the live well with one of these units. This is especially true in rough water because you can kind of wedge your foot below the rack, and then press your calf against the carpeted surface while casting or tending to trolling rods.

Before I installed one in my last boat, I would literally have black and blue bruises on my shins from that fiberglass edge.

Edited by Jerry Newman 3/17/2020 5:04 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(index.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments index.jpg (7KB - 398 downloads)
vegas492
Posted 3/17/2020 4:16 PM (#956081 - in reply to #956066)

I adore my Ranger 619. And I do love the removable back deck. Get that thing in there, great back deck. Nice storage underneath it and plenty of room to walk around the back part of the boat.
Course...I'd love a 620 as well, but then I'd need a deeper garage.
mikie
Posted 3/17/2020 4:38 PM (#956082 - in reply to #956066)

I have a lot of deck space with mine. m

(redneckHB.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments redneckHB.jpg (23KB - 430 downloads)
Windy City
Posted 3/17/2020 8:28 PM (#956088 - in reply to #956066)
Subject: RE: Do you like a boat you're in, or on?

I prefer my Warrior V208.
Smell_Esox
Posted 3/18/2020 10:36 AM (#956114 - in reply to #956066)

Jerry Newman, that'd be about perfect!
muskyhunter07
Posted 3/18/2020 1:29 PM (#956126 - in reply to #956114)

My 621 is the cats ass, wouldn't trade it for anything, and I've been in almost all brands of big water fiberglass boats.
Ruddiger
Posted 3/21/2020 8:57 AM (#956233 - in reply to #956066)

Howdy,

If your not into trolling my 522D is the best boat out there. My wife rolls here eye when I say "last boat" as I've had too many to list, but this really is my "last boat" as its perfect for how I fish.

Take care,

Ruddiger
jboutdoorguy
Posted 3/21/2020 9:58 AM (#956235 - in reply to #956126)

muskyhunter07 - 3/18/2020 1:29 PM

My 621 is the cats ass, wouldn't trade it for anything, and I've been in almost all brands of big water fiberglass boats.

MH07, or anyone with 621 experience,
Do you fish only bigger water in this boat? How small of water do you or can you fish? Do you spend a lot of time with the trolling motor in casting?

I am asking these questions because I would really like a 620 and would like to hear how a 621 compares especially for waters not thought of as big water. Also how does a 621 compare to a 620 as far as being responsive or nimble with the trolling motor if that makes sense. I don't live near big water and my opportunities to be in bigger boats is very limited. I have no doubt the 621 is an amazing boat.
madmurph
Posted 3/22/2020 7:54 AM (#956255 - in reply to #956066)

I am an oddball in the muskie world, but I recently went from 25 years of deep V multi-species boats to a bass boat. Even after explaining that I spend all of my time fishing for bass and muskies, leaning on my butt seat, working the trolling motor and casting, never trolling, fishing only small water (800-1000 acres is big for me), I got blasted by almost all for my decision. Even a salesman told me that I was crazy and that "bass boats aren't popular around here." I wonder if the same is said for the guys down south that buy a deep v multi-species rig.

After a full season in a bass boat, I don't regret my decision at all. I really enjoy being "on" the boat as compared to "in" it. The storage and deck space is great and I enjoy being close to the water. I guess everybody has their personal preferences. I doubt that I will be going back to a deep V next time.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 3/22/2020 10:19 AM (#956264 - in reply to #956066)

I will echo the things you said about a Bass Boat. Very easy to fish out of. However I moved to a Deep V several years ago for two reasons.

1) at my age & weight pulling myself up out of the drivers seat was getting tough. The height of a Deep V seat is better suited for me.

2) It was getting to hard to get down to the deck and water to work on the fish. I found myself trying to swing fish that were to large. It's just easier to handle fish & a net for me in the deeper cockpit of the Deep V.

But yes, if I'm ever reincarnated it will be a Bass Boat again for me.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/22/2020 12:06 PM (#956270 - in reply to #956235)

jboutdoorguy - 3/21/2020 9:58 AM

muskyhunter07 - 3/18/2020 1:29 PM

MH07, or anyone with 621 experience,
Do you fish only bigger water in this boat? How small of water do you or can you fish? Do you spend a lot of time with the trolling motor in casting?

I am asking these questions because I would really like a 620 and would like to hear how a 621 compares especially for waters not thought of as big water. Also how does a 621 compare to a 620 as far as being responsive or nimble with the trolling motor if that makes sense. I don't live near big water and my opportunities to be in bigger boats is very limited. I have no doubt the 621 is an amazing boat.

Firstly, I'm on my second 621 and can launch and recover at any reasonable boat launch.

Although my primary target is big water, I have fished plenty of pothole lakes with both 621s and provided you're okay with the extra expense and weight behind your tow vehicle, having the extra storage and stability on *any* water is a +.

It's actually easier for me to operate the bow mount because a large fiberglass boat = more stability. They are simply better in the wind while casting, plus they barely flinch when you move around in them on the water.

The only disadvantage I've found is when you're trolling with these large glass boats, they can be sluggish to respond when trying to scrub edges. Until I became acclimated, the difference kind of reminded me of the movie Titanic when just before they hit the iceberg, they were yelling “come about”, and the Titanic seemed as though she wasn't responding.

There's definitely more of a delay in that regard, but IMHO it's a nonissue casting because you are moving so much slower. Hope this helps...

jboutdoorguy
Posted 3/22/2020 1:27 PM (#956275 - in reply to #956066)

Thanks Jerry. Great info and honest feedback appreciated
North of 8
Posted 3/22/2020 7:11 PM (#956321 - in reply to #956275)

Jerry, working as a clean boat/clean water volunteer at a landing on the chain I retired to, I have a memory of a guy launching a big Ranger and there was something about the trailer set up that helped at shallower landings. Can't remember how that worked, just remember thinking it looked clever. Any thoughts on what that might have been and whether it is still available? This was quite a while back when the northern highlands of WI were in severe drought.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/23/2020 10:11 AM (#956361 - in reply to #956321)

Not sure if it's still available... I've seen the shallow water assist option on empty Ranger trailers in parking lots threw the years though. It's a separate winch system that controls a couple of rollers that lift up the center of the boat to help float it off, and then lower it back on the trailer bunks.
BNelson
Posted 3/23/2020 11:32 AM (#956366 - in reply to #956361)

Ranger 690 is a great musky rig. can fish 3 casting with plenty of room as it's so nice to have the side open to stand on, no console to get in the way, can walk from front deck to back deck on the same level.... the only thing I'd ever consider getting rid of it for is a 620 single console and good luck finding one.
North of 8
Posted 3/23/2020 12:15 PM (#956369 - in reply to #956361)

Jerry Newman - 3/23/2020 10:11 AM

Not sure if it's still available... I've seen the shallow water assist option on empty Ranger trailers in parking lots threw the years though. It's a separate winch system that controls a couple of rollers that lift up the center of the boat to help float it off, and then lower it back on the trailer bunks.

The separate winch system was what I remember. The launch I was volunteering at is not great in the best of times, and was really a challenge during the drought but that guy was able to launch a heavy glass boat more easily than others with lighter aluminum. Township I live in would like to get a better launch but location and money are just too big a hurdle. The cost of a simple one dock landing that was discussed last year was way beyond what I would have expected.
sworrall
Posted 3/23/2020 9:20 PM (#956407 - in reply to #956369)

North of 8 - 3/23/2020 12:15 PM

Jerry Newman - 3/23/2020 10:11 AM

The separate winch system was what I remember. The launch I was volunteering at is not great in the best of times, and was really a challenge during the drought but that guy was able to launch a heavy glass boat more easily than others with lighter aluminum. Township I live in would like to get a better launch but location and money are just too big a hurdle. The cost of a simple one dock landing that was discussed last year was way beyond what I would have expected.

That's a feature invented by Ken at K-Dee, the trailer was a K-Dee Launcher. A couple companies offered it as a shallow water launch feature.
Bigstick56
Posted 3/25/2020 1:41 PM (#956509 - in reply to #956066)
Subject: RE: Do you like a boat you're in, or on?

I recently got myself into a Alumacraft Competitor 205 Sport. For me it was the best multi-species set up I could find. My priorities are big front and rear casting decks, good rod storage, seating for 4+ when needed(not often) and lots of storage. For reference, the pic of the front deck, that is a 8'6" St. Croix Big Dawg. Again for me, this boat stood out among all boats, a fiberglass boat will most likely happen way down the road, but for an easy $25k maybe even closer to $30k cheaper than a similarly equipped fiberglass boat, it was a no brainier.

Edited by Bigstick56 3/25/2020 1:49 PM

(205 back small 2.JPG)

(205 back small.JPG)

(205 front.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 205 back small 2.JPG (38KB - 423 downloads)
Attachments 205 back small.JPG (37KB - 420 downloads)
Attachments 205 front.JPG (52KB - 412 downloads)
Jeremy
Posted 3/25/2020 9:49 PM (#956523 - in reply to #956321)

North of 8 - 3/22/2020 7:11 PM

Jerry, working as a clean boat/clean water volunteer at a landing on the chain I retired to, I have a memory of a guy launching a big Ranger and there was something about the trailer set up that helped at shallower landings. Can't remember how that worked, just remember thinking it looked clever. Any thoughts on what that might have been and whether it is still available? This was quite a while back when the northern highlands of WI were in severe drought.

I have had that "shallow water" option on both my boats now. Love it!! Had it on a '97 681VS and my current rig a 2012 Z118.

Frankies said they didn't typically include that on the "bass boat" style rigs but Frankie talked to a tech/rep and they put one my boat. $1400 option but for me it's been well worth it. It's a really well made option and had aided me a whole lot of times in shallower landings...
Fishysam
Posted 4/4/2020 9:37 AM (#957120 - in reply to #956066)

I know a warrior v208 is the best musky boat made but I know that my bass boat works 100% at what I do for bass and musky, if you don't troll it's hard to complete with the casting fish ability of a bass boat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)