Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What, no comments on Canadian border closing, eh?

Message Subject: What, no comments on Canadian border closing, eh?
Clark A
Posted 3/31/2020 4:44 AM (#956852 - in reply to #956050)
Subject: Re: What, no comments on Canadian border closing, eh?

I've got a trip planned in August to NWT. I got an email yesterday stating that their first week of operation is 06/27, but will decide by 05/15 to pull the plug on the entire season or proceed. Matt DeVos, what LOTW resort toss in the towel for 2020?
Musky Brian
Posted 3/31/2020 8:59 AM (#956869 - in reply to #956050)

I think there might be some creative ways to still legally do a trip this summer to the right place regardless of circumstance. But yeah, the traditional camps? I could see big trouble for those this year. Particularly those with large groups in the American Plan settings. I actually shudder to think what an entire season of no guests would do to those places. Can’t imagine the financials plan for that
ToddM
Posted 3/31/2020 5:55 PM (#956900 - in reply to #956050)

Like I said before I bet some people will boat across big traverse bay.
dickP
Posted 4/1/2020 7:43 AM (#956924 - in reply to #956050)

Todd I'm sure you are right but I hope anyone trying it is aware of the facts.It's a longgg ways and fraught with danger in most boats.Totally weather dependent as well.As I mentioned above as of now it may be legal(not sure -and now can't do it by boat and maybe by snomo either)and you don't have to enter Canada but what about when you get there?The Mn waters have some decent spots but many of those are near unfishable in wind and IMO not worth the 'trip'.Sure you can enter Canada,legal or not but the consequences if caught will be severe.It's not like breaking a County or even State travel ban.AND,patrolling of the border is very different post 9/11.You likely will be caught,so why try?Plenty of other Stateside options for now.
Hopefully this is all academic and the border will open but suspect it will not be pre summer.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 4/1/2020 8:07 AM (#956926 - in reply to #956050)

What has happened to people? They go mind dead? They talk of risking their lives, the lives of people on the other end & the lives of those who has to save their dumb asses.

It's a few dollars and a fish. Wise up and you might be around next year to go.

Good Lord, I hope it's just keyboard talk and people are smart enough to do the senseable thing.
North of 8
Posted 4/1/2020 8:47 AM (#956929 - in reply to #956926)

You would have to want to fish really bad to risk being picked up by Canadian authorities. My sister and her husband lived in the International Falls area for about three years, something like 2012 to 2015. Rented a house right on Rainy Lake. They said the locals made it clear that as tough a the U.S. Border patrol folks were, the Canadians were much tougher. I saw that way back in 2010 when I flew into Vancouver, B.C. prior to taking a cruise ship and again when taking the train from Skagway up into the Yukon. Bullet proof vests, automatic weapons. We were warned on the train to simply hold up our passports next to our faces, not to talk to the agents when they boarded the train, not to even smile. Very serious folks.
ToddM
Posted 4/1/2020 8:53 AM (#956930 - in reply to #956926)

Brian Hoffies - 4/1/2020 8:07 AM

What has happened to people? They go mind dead? They talk of risking their lives, the lives of people on the other end & the lives of those who has to save their dumb asses.

It's a few dollars and a fish. Wise up and you might be around next year to go.

Good Lord, I hope it's just keyboard talk and people are smart enough to do the senseable thing.

I just put that out there I would never do it for all the reasons Mr. Pearson stated and yours. I know people who are fishing right now and plan to this weekend and beyond. Musky fisherman are half nuts(myself included) as it is. It's not the boat ramp, it's the store and the gas station. I went to a major store for groceries yesterday. I was called out for work so I thought stop on my way home. Do not shop mid-day huge mistake. Too many people and employees going about business as usual not to mention by then out of stuff you need

Edited by ToddM 4/1/2020 8:55 AM
Dan Klis
Posted 4/2/2020 3:24 PM (#957033 - in reply to #956050)

I own property at the Angle and customs will not let me cross. Only residents. I would venture to say the resorts at the Angle (along with the community) will make a collective decision whether to allow boaters from across the lake, and whether or not they will be open if the border is still closed. I was prepared to head there, but part of my family asked me to stay. Public accesses along the Rainy River are now closed.
7ovr50
Posted 4/3/2020 10:29 AM (#957074 - in reply to #956050)

To everyone worried about a reservation, deposit, or what ever concerning an unnecessary fishing trip I say you need to re evaluate your priorities. I would be more concerned that myself, family and friends will be around to share life with next year. I do have a new Lund sitting in my garage that I would like to get wet but my family and friends are more important then any fishing trip. Just my two cents!!!
Musky Brian
Posted 4/3/2020 12:31 PM (#957081 - in reply to #957074)

7ovr50 - 4/3/2020 10:29 AM

To everyone worried about a reservation, deposit, or what ever concerning an unnecessary fishing trip I say you need to re evaluate your priorities. I would be more concerned that myself, family and friends will be around to share life with next year. I do have a new Lund sitting in my garage that I would like to get wet but my family and friends are more important then any fishing trip. Just my two cents!!!

Did somebody say something here that would suggest otherwise? Or is this just the ol “let’s get mad to be mad!!!”

Musky Brian
Posted 4/3/2020 12:40 PM (#957082 - in reply to #956929)

North of 8 - 4/1/2020 8:47 AM

You would have to want to fish really bad to risk being picked up by Canadian authorities. My sister and her husband lived in the International Falls area for about three years, something like 2012 to 2015. Rented a house right on Rainy Lake. They said the locals made it clear that as tough a the U.S. Border patrol folks were, the Canadians were much tougher. I saw that way back in 2010 when I flew into Vancouver, B.C. prior to taking a cruise ship and again when taking the train from Skagway up into the Yukon. Bullet proof vests, automatic weapons. We were warned on the train to simply hold up our passports next to our faces, not to talk to the agents when they boarded the train, not to even smile. Very serious folks.

Nobody here suggested breaking any laws nor does anyone know what will be legal come summer. And then, if something IS legal, what would be responsible or not responsible. It’s April...July and beyond is a long time away. Maybe it stays the same, maybe it gets worse, maybe it’s better. We’ll have to see

If you have a June trip, you are probably screwed.

Edited by Musky Brian 4/3/2020 12:42 PM
KingT
Posted 4/4/2020 2:14 PM (#957135 - in reply to #956050)

I'm a Manitoba resident with a cabin near kemora. We are getting told by Ontario and Manitoba that we should refrain from going to out cabin at this time. Kenora doesn't want unnecessary travel there at this time. As this keeps going on there are rumblings of even possibly banning travel province to province. So unless things get significantly better over the next few months things will probably stay as they are..
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)