Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Trolling with Top Water Baits

Message Subject: Trolling with Top Water Baits
North of 8
Posted 3/10/2020 9:04 AM (#955648)
Subject: Trolling with Top Water Baits

Do any of you troll with top water baits? While I have done some motor trolling since WI allowed trolling in northern zone, have not used top water. Two years ago I hooked a musky while dragging a nite walker behind my kayak, paddling between spots. Took a lot of effort but managed to lose it up right before I got it to the kayak.
That was just a what the heck, why not thing. But, while organizing some gear the other day I got wondering if trolling a top water along the weed edge in shallow water might be productive. I plan on trying it but am hoping someone could give me some suggestions based on what has worked for them. Thanks
MartinTD
Posted 3/10/2020 9:37 AM (#955650 - in reply to #955648)
Subject: Re: Trolling with Top Water Baits

I have personally never done it but I have witnessed a musky crush a Topraider that was being trolled behind a kayak; almost exactly as you described, except the guy did land it which ended up being a nice 45".
slopmaster
Posted 3/10/2020 9:58 AM (#955652 - in reply to #955648)
Subject: RE: Trolling with Top Water Baits

When i am working down a shoreline i always drag a topwater bait. I can't tell you how many time i was casting and hear a noise and it a muskie on my bait.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/10/2020 11:07 AM (#955656 - in reply to #955648)

I've done it with prop topwaters behind planer boards along shorelines, and had two muskies hit the board instead of the lure.

If they will hit a casted topwater then there is no reason they wouldn't hit it trolled. I plan on doing more of this every year but never seem to get around to it.
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/10/2020 11:34 AM (#955658 - in reply to #955652)

slopmaster - 3/10/2020 9:58 AM

When i am working down a shoreline i always drag a topwater bait. I can't tell you how many time i was casting and hear a noise and it a muskie on my bait.

Just curious....

Do you start fishing the topwater bait or continue what you were doing?

What type of topwater bait?
Cedar
Posted 3/10/2020 12:52 PM (#955662 - in reply to #955648)

I troll topwater, wake baits, and surface to 1' baits quite often. I fish a shallow weedy river system where this is by far the most successful way to fish. Have also had a lot of success trolling these along weed edges, rock drop offs, and along steep rock shorelines. Definitely worth trying in my opinion
slopmaster
Posted 3/10/2020 1:46 PM (#955668 - in reply to #955648)

I troll a musky madness globe. Sometimes i troll two of them. One on each side in back of boat. I will cast up front. Mostly bucktails. If i get one i will try a topwater.
North of 8
Posted 3/10/2020 2:03 PM (#955669 - in reply to #955662)

Cedar - 3/10/2020 12:52 PM

I troll topwater, wake baits, and surface to 1' baits quite often. I fish a shallow weedy river system where this is by far the most successful way to fish. Have also had a lot of success trolling these along weed edges, rock drop offs, and along steep rock shorelines. Definitely worth trying in my opinion

Thanks. The river that connects the lake to the next one in the chain I live on is one of the areas I am thinking of trying. Tough to cast there, between weeds, shallow water and fair amount of boat traffic, so have been trolling when going from one lake to the other and have had some success running crank baits shallow, right in the prop wash, 8 to 15 feet back. However, would like to try a little further back and to the side. Will be giving top water prop baits a try.
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/10/2020 10:36 PM (#955690 - in reply to #955668)

slopmaster - 3/10/2020 1:46 PM

I troll a musky madness globe. Sometimes i troll two of them. One on each side in back of boat. I will cast up front. Mostly bucktails. If i get one i will try a topwater.

Thanks. I will have to give this a try.
true tiger tamer
Posted 3/10/2020 11:18 PM (#955691 - in reply to #955648)

A Minnesota guide named Ed Philpot did a video on trolling topwaters. I don't know if there are any copies out there.
chasintails
Posted 3/11/2020 8:17 AM (#955696 - in reply to #955648)

Larry Dahlberg did a show on trolling topwaters. If its the right tool for the job, why wouldn't it work? If it moves its food.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/11/2020 10:32 AM (#955709 - in reply to #955696)

We've caught lots of muskies trolling top water, started doing it in the mid-90s. It's absolutely my most fun way troll, but finding optimal conditions with new boat partners willing to try it are few and far between these days. Obviously best to know fish are there because you're going slow… sometimes it works when normal stuff won't.

Couple tips; calm water, large flats, without a lot of floaters. Because you're moving so slow you'll need super sharp hooks, tight drag, braid... definitely not mono if you're baits are any distance from the boat, or on boards.  When the fish hits you will need to remember to hit the gas to set the hooks… that's vital. GL

Edited by Jerry Newman 3/11/2020 10:34 AM
North of 8
Posted 3/11/2020 1:00 PM (#955717 - in reply to #955648)

Jerry, when you say slow, about what speed would you recommend for trolling top water prop bait?
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/11/2020 2:51 PM (#955724 - in reply to #955717)

North of 8 - 3/11/2020 1:00 PM Jerry, when you say slow, about what speed would you recommend for trolling top water prop bait?

Recommend starting with whatever speed you feel the lure works best casting… as I recall about 1.8 - 2.2, we would normally go a tad slower in calm water and a touch faster if there was a little chop. Obviously, adjustments when trolling current required like any trolling.

Find that sweet spot… plop-plop-plop, normally whenever we pushed it faster *especially in dead flat conditions* they were not as effective.  Warning: you'll become addicted once you catch a couple of fish with this overlooked method, and then new boat partners will be very reluctant to try it. 

Last year I was able to convince a good fisherman to try it in a near-perfect location, after one pass he was whining about wanting to go back to what was working even though he’d been part of catching literally hundreds of top water fish casting.

North of 8
Posted 3/11/2020 9:44 PM (#955743 - in reply to #955724)

Jerry Newman - 3/11/2020 2:51 PM

North of 8 - 3/11/2020 1:00 PM Jerry, when you say slow, about what speed would you recommend for trolling top water prop bait?

Recommend starting with whatever speed you feel the lure works best casting… as I recall about 1.8 - 2.2, we would normally go a tad slower in calm water and a touch faster if there was a little chop. Obviously, adjustments when trolling current required like any trolling.

Find that sweet spot… plop-plop-plop, normally whenever we pushed it faster *especially in dead flat conditions* they were not as effective.  Warning: you'll become addicted once you catch a couple of fish with this overlooked method, and then new boat partners will be very reluctant to try it. 

Last year I was able to convince a good fisherman to try it in a near-perfect location, after one pass he was whining about wanting to go back to what was working even though he’d been part of catching literally hundreds of top water fish casting.

Thanks. Some lures, like the nite walker, seem very sensitive to speed. Too slow or too fast, you don't get the sound that seems to get the attention of fish. I have a super sized wooden Pace Maker that I bought maybe ten years ago and have hardly every used. Might just give that a go, nice and slow at twilight. Could be fun.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/12/2020 12:27 AM (#955745 - in reply to #955743)

No problem happy to share, I've been a fan of your posts right along.  I wasn't kidding about reluctant boat partners either… most good fishermen I know are just set in their ways and too reluctant to try it during prime time like you.

Back in the late 90s my friend Kenny wouldn't have a thing to do with it for the two years after my son and I had stumbled into it. I was really bugging him to at least try it during that stretch to no avail, then one semi-bright flat morning after not seeing a fish from about 4-9 AM he said something like; “maybe we could try trolling top water” just to get me off his back. Plus, he knew we were going to be in for a long day, and most likely going to zero based on the morning activity... at least till evening.

Literally within 15-20 min we had action from a nice fish that we missed, and then plenty more after that... it became our "go to" for remainder of the trip.

Either side of the prop wash 30-40’ is money.

J

Edited by Jerry Newman 3/12/2020 12:30 AM
dickP
Posted 3/12/2020 7:43 AM (#955748 - in reply to #955648)

Good stuff Jerry.So true as to the 'partner' thing as well.
Back in the day my wife used to run a Creeper behind me as she read a book and I casted away using my trolling motor.
The slowww 'plop plop plop'made me anxious as hell awaiting the blow up.
Stay well!(stay away from the Kung Flu)
miket55
Posted 3/12/2020 11:37 AM (#955760 - in reply to #955648)

Caught a couple drgging a Nite Walker just fast enough to make the tail rotate.
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/16/2020 9:38 AM (#955995 - in reply to #955648)

The year was 2005, fishing a little known(at the time) Green Bay hotspot with a bud, great action on top n tails. Trolling cranks was money as well. Watched this big Blue Fin "A" Team rig pull in. Soon enough he was trolling circles out front, 6 topwaters. After mostly wondering how this guy found the spot we'd had mostly to ourselves for 3 years, we finally went over, and a friendship was born. Jerry, always appreciated your trolling insight out there over the years. My 'scrubbing edges' definately picked up under your and Billy's watch but can still use improvement. See you this spring.

Jason Schillinger

Edited by Reef Hawg 3/16/2020 9:40 AM
OldMuskyGuy
Posted 3/17/2020 9:50 AM (#956061 - in reply to #955648)

The one thing I can't find any info on online is, how should the reel be set while trolling. Anti-reverse engaged with the drag set light? I really don't know.
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/17/2020 12:17 PM (#956067 - in reply to #955648)

Yes, reel engaged, drag loosened as to avoid equipment breakage and fish loss. Remember, trolling itself completes the hookset process. Topwater drag can be slightly tighter as the fish and lure doesn't have the energy of water resistance already assisting the hookset. You also don't normally have to worry about snags, which can stress equipment with drags set too tight.

Edited by Reef Hawg 3/17/2020 1:09 PM
OldMuskyGuy
Posted 3/17/2020 12:42 PM (#956070 - in reply to #956067)

Thanks, I assumed thats how it was, but like I said, I could find zero amount of info about that online.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/17/2020 3:43 PM (#956077 - in reply to #955995)

Reef Hawg - 3/16/2020 9:38 AM The year was 2005, fishing a little known(at the time) Green Bay hotspot with a bud, great action on top n tails. Trolling cranks was money as well. Watched this big Blue Fin "A" Team rig pull in. Soon enough he was trolling circles out front, 6 topwaters. After mostly wondering how this guy found the spot we'd had mostly to ourselves for 3 years, we finally went over, and a friendship was born. Jerry, always appreciated your trolling insight out there over the years. My 'scrubbing edges' definately picked up under your and Billy's watch but can still use improvement. See you this spring. Jason Schillinger

Ha, I remember you saying something about us looking like the A team... we definitely need to fish this summer. Another guy who posted earlier in this thread was also wondering about that same blue Crestliner around that same time frame...

our primary target was the northern part of Lake of the Woods, but we decided to drop down to the middle of the lake and camp for a couple days in an area I knew extremely well from the late 80s. Lo and behold we landed right on top of Dick, who was also casting around that area, (even though we didn't know each other at the time, if you're a muskie fisherman, it's pretty easy to spot that scrawny dude on the water;).

Fast forward to the January Chicago Muskie Show; Dick was asking around about that blue “Cold Front” boat that was scrubbing edges on LOTW, and yet another friendship was born. Dick later told me what really roused his curiosity was that someone would even consider trolling such a confined reef infested area like that in the first place... there was no utube then, and short lining wasn't mainstream.

I'm still humbled that Dick sought me out and would want to be my friend, same with you Jason.

It's been too long Dick… are those stocked fish getting big enough yet? I'll give you a call and we'll get caught up.  

dickP
Posted 3/18/2020 7:48 AM (#956100 - in reply to #955648)

Jerry still remember!Makes me smile and forms pleasant memories.Assuming you are referring to the stocked ones a few miles from my house,yes,think they have a couple of 50 types out of there now.Don't find it excitable there except for maybe duck hunting.Always bitten by the 'grass is greener' thing.
Not afraid to admit I subsequently took your tactics inside the spot I saw you and shortlined 5 oz single blade spinner baits through the weeds with some success.
Look forward to chatting!

PS Watch out for that Jason guy.Dangerous dude and almost as good a fisherperson as his wife.

Edited by dickP 3/18/2020 7:51 AM
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/26/2020 10:40 AM (#958845 - in reply to #955648)

And if that isn't bad enough, my 12 year old daughter(middle of 3 girls) is reducing the turkey population in my neighborhood, and losing my favorite bucktail walleye jigs while I'm at work this week. So what do I do? Buy a female hunting dog. I need a vac, jerry let me know when we're headed over to Dicks, I promise I'll leave the women home, if they let me.

Edited by Reef Hawg 4/26/2020 10:50 AM
djwilliams
Posted 4/26/2020 11:59 PM (#958878 - in reply to #955648)

I troll tandem spinnerbaits from 3 feet to just under the surface. Caught two doing this last summer. Yes I troll topwaters too. Rumblers and Top Raiders
jdsplasher
Posted 4/27/2020 6:08 AM (#958879 - in reply to #958878)

YES; Used this method ALOT ....back in the late 80’s, 90’s, and early 2’s.  What a great method to get clients a quick fish or 2, first hour or so of the day.

Great Visual of strikes, and seeing 1-2 fish porpoising, try to lock onto the Sonics, and track baits. Key was, only troll 2 baits at a time,  And spread them out, so the 2 Sonics didn’t clash much.

Always trolled slow movers W/ Trolling motor..........had 4, hand picked baits, that tracked, perfectly Tuned/ Modified, and been subbed in frequently. One choice was a frenchy Globe, with a good clicking sound. Another choice was a Giant Scamper. Awesome, very Tunable bait to wiggle 1” below the surface, With great hook-up %’s. If U can still find this bait, very versatile!

I remember a phone call from Mr. Dick P,  many moons ago....kinda went like this...heh Jim, dick p, Caught like 13 muskies the past 2 1/2 days, couple were 50’s, can you rewire these Headbangers?;)

Heh Dick; surprised Derwood, or should I say, Darlene, hasn’t chimed in yet. Can U imagine how long his hair is now, with most Salons shut down....lol...:)

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 4/27/2020 6:48 AM
Musker007
Posted 4/28/2020 11:26 AM (#958990 - in reply to #955648)

I love trolling topwaters!! I fish a shallow stained WI lake regularly and like to keep my trolled lures 6ft or higher in the water column and much of the time one of my trolled lures is a prop style topwater bait such as a Topraider or Pacemaker usually behind a planer board.

I troll around 5 mph much of the time which causes those topwaters to really throw water and make a ton of racket which is why I think it is effective. On slow days of casting I have hooked up by burning topwaters by the same structures I had been casting to which leads me to believe that it's a reaction strike much of the time. I have found glass calm, warm, muggy conditions to be best. When it gets too wavy the topwaters tend to cut into the waves a bit more, it still works but not as well in my opinion.

The strikes are phenomenal!! One evening when I had my grandpa run my tiller, I witnessed two amazing musky strikes. Both fish were mid thirties and caught on a black Whopper Plopper, they came flying out of the water, like 5 ft!! Trolling topwaters is relatively easy, just troll where you know fish are and go fast!!

- Dustin

- muskyblog.com
dickP
Posted 4/29/2020 7:27 AM (#959046 - in reply to #955648)

Jason sounds like you have the solution to the turkey problem solved,good on her!Been chasing them myself with my bow the last few weeks.Great social distancing.Been a long time man,hoping our paths cross again soon.Hi to Monica!
Jim have to say the 'Headbangers' came roaring back for me last summer.On a couple different lakes.Hoping you still have wire,:-)On subject,have trolled 'Bangers' a bit with some success.Bell sinker on each treble and let her rip at the speeds Dustin mentioned below or slightly slower.Sidenote:was looking for some old notes in an old file and found an interesting clipping.You and Lynne winning a WMT event back in 08 or 09,not sure which.Anyway,hi to Lynne and let me know when you are at Youngs.Going to be over that way again a couple times.Be nice to see Lynne-heck even you.
As to Derwood or Darlene,sure he's hanging out on Facebook talking about the fish Carol catches.I know they do troll Surface a bit.Funny cause my hair is getting long and was thinking about his myself recently.Stay well.
Dustin good stuff.Great way to cover water although in my limited experience you miss the pre strike humps at those speeds.Tremendous blow ups but I miss humps and mentally keying up the Jaws music.
Good fishing!
Mudpuppy
Posted 5/3/2020 4:31 PM (#959286 - in reply to #955648)

Cheez you guys, is nothing sacred. Been doing this since 67. Even more effective a night. Started row trolling a yellow globe. Caught em on globes flaptails, fat B", pacemakers, injured minnows, Le Boef creepers
ect. ect. Best luck has been slow in the evening till 11 PM or so. Flat calm has been best for me and slow.

Mudpuppy
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)