Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Population Densities

Message Subject: Population Densities
pstrombe
Posted 3/9/2020 9:15 PM (#955629)
Subject: Population Densities

Thought I would do a little winter research on some of the lakes in Northern WI. I have some friends up that way that have invited to join them on a couple of fishing trips this summer.
I now live in Mn but was WI was my stomping ground for most of my life and know my way around reasonably well. I was rather surprised when i got a copy of 2019 DNR Report 'Turtle Flambeau Fish Population Status'. This report put the population density at approx one musky per 10 acres. I can only surmise this number is the result of treaty harvest. I was even more surprised when the Wis. Outdoor News did a piece on Trout lake. They estimated a total adult musky population of 44 fish for the entire lake.
I am unable to find any online records that identify treaty harvest by lake name and year. Does anyone know where I can find this info.
sworrall
Posted 3/9/2020 9:24 PM (#955631 - in reply to #955629)
Subject: Re: Population Densities

It's not treaty harvest that's the issue. There was a rather lengthy period of time when muskie stocking was sharply curtailed on many water bodies. Pelican is a good example, but has recovered nicely after several productive stockings.
TheShow
Posted 3/10/2020 11:23 AM (#955657 - in reply to #955631)

I don't know where to find treaty harvest numbers. I'm sure it exists somewhere?

Sounds like you read WON. They publish an article every spring with the final spearing numbers - what was the quota for each lake and what was actually harvested. But that only quantifies Spring spearing, not annual harvest data. In addition, Vilas county (and surrounding areas) had a tribal musky spearing tournament on February 22nd. The weather was gorgeous that day and they had a good turnout of participants. I haven't heard the results on that yet, but that harvest does not count against their spring harvest quota.

As for stocking, the WI DNR stocking database is a nice tool and is easy to navigate. A simple google search will take you right there. Then select your county, select a lake. That's it. As mentioned above, musky stocking has returned to numerous northern lakes with success. You mentioned Trout (and I saw that same article too and thought to myself, 44 musky for the whole lake... no way!?). Anyway, Trout is stocked on odd number years with large fingerlings - approx 11 inchers. Some years they stock over 1,000; and sometimes only 200 - 300. Plus you have some lakes that musky populations rely solely on stocking, where others have successful natural reproduction.

So I didn't really answer your question, but passed along some info.

Edited by TheShow 3/10/2020 11:27 AM
MartinTD
Posted 3/10/2020 12:55 PM (#955663 - in reply to #955629)

I could be wrong but I suspect the population density is calculated based on spring netting or shocking data divided by surface acres. There are many variables that play into the success (or failure) of netting and shocking. That said, I would expect the accuracy of the population density figures could be WAY OFF on some lakes and fairly close on others.

Edited by MartinTD 3/10/2020 12:56 PM
ToddM
Posted 3/10/2020 1:11 PM (#955665 - in reply to #955629)

TFF has always had a very low density population. It only gets the state max 2500 fish for a year. I had cheddarbilly who used to frequent this site regularly tell me once and I quote " I wonder if some days I even present a bait to a fish". He could very well be right. I don't think many fish at all are speared on this lake.

Edited by ToddM 3/10/2020 1:12 PM
Windy City
Posted 3/10/2020 3:19 PM (#955673 - in reply to #955629)
Subject: RE: Population Densities

There are not any Musky in the TFF. No one should bother fishing for them there, it's a waste of your time.

"These are not the drones were looking for."
TheShow
Posted 3/10/2020 4:46 PM (#955678 - in reply to #955663)

MartinTD - 3/10/2020 12:55 PM

I could be wrong but I suspect the population density is calculated based on spring netting or shocking data divided by surface acres. There are many variables that play into the success (or failure) of netting and shocking. That said, I would expect the accuracy of the population density figures could be WAY OFF on some lakes and fairly close on others.

You make a good point - it would be interesting to see/hear what the measure of accuracy is on these numbers. Or margin of error +/- X%?

This year I did well on a smaller lake and during spring netting, not a single musky was captured. They (DNR), other anglers, and I all know they are there. But not a one showed up in a net. So what does that do to a density calculation?
ToddM
Posted 3/10/2020 7:47 PM (#955685 - in reply to #955678)

I know a lake not too far from there and survey data showed they captured over 30 muskies which is quite alot and the lake is only rated a class B. Timing is everything.
Vilas15
Posted 3/10/2020 9:25 PM (#955688 - in reply to #955685)

From the 16-17 creel survey on Trout:

"Anglers spent 1,274 hours targeting muskellunge during the 2016-17 season. Muskellunge fishing effort was greatest in
October (383 hours). There was no documented catch or harvest of muskellunge during the survey."

Other area lakes average anywhere from 25 to 80 hours per fish. 1274 hours without a fish is one person fishing as a full time job (40 hrs) for 7 months and not a single fish. I fished it once with a guide looking for a trophy and will never be back (for musky). I do remember seeing spearing data for one year in which a few fish were speared averaging 43".
madmurph
Posted 3/14/2020 11:35 AM (#955903 - in reply to #955629)

Wow, very disappointing about Trout, but not surprising. Even when I fished it regularly in the early to mid 90's, it was a tough one. I haven't been there for many years and have no plans on returning. Too many other good fisheries in the area that also have potential at trophy class fish.
WiscoMusky
Posted 4/2/2020 3:26 PM (#957034 - in reply to #955629)

1 musky per 10 acres on the TFF is pretty darn good in my opinion. It’s not like those fish are sprawled out over the entire flowage, many fish will be concentrated in the stump fields, closer to current, etc. I spend a weekend camping on the tff every summer, and have always caught musky out there. Trout lake, I believe has more fish that people and the dnr estimate as well. There is so much open water it may just be really tough to shock or fyke net. The lake gets a solid number of fish stocked in there
Vilas15
Posted 4/6/2020 9:47 AM (#957274 - in reply to #957034)

WiscoMusky - 4/2/2020 3:26 PM
Trout lake, I believe has more fish that people and the dnr estimate as well. There is so much open water it may just be really tough to shock or fyke net.

So much open water also makes it extremely tough to fish, and not worth the time in my opinion.
North of 8
Posted 4/6/2020 12:32 PM (#957289 - in reply to #955631)

sworrall - 3/9/2020 9:24 PM

It's not treaty harvest that's the issue. There was a rather lengthy period of time when muskie stocking was sharply curtailed on many water bodies. Pelican is a good example, but has recovered nicely after several productive stockings.

Steve you know a lot about this and know Pelican. Is the increased size limit on Pelican an important factor in recovery? I know at the time it was put in place, there was some talk that the lake so higher than average harvest of muskies. Don't know a thing about it except that I drive by it fairly often.
tallywacker
Posted 4/12/2020 3:13 PM (#957648 - in reply to #955629)

I have put a very significant amount of hours on Trout lake the last 7 years ranging from spring right till the bitter end in November. I have had some luck but its been hard earned...... but rewarding when you see how fat they are when you finally catch one out of this deep gin bottle.
The best part is you will be the only one out there fishing for musky until November when you start to see a couple other anglers in hopes that the greasy little sliver fish will bring in the big gals.
I have heard stories of the great weed beds that used to inhabit this lake and gave the big game fish like the musky a place to ambush their prey but in return maybe made them set up in more predictable "spot on the spots" for the fisherman.
Now that just a few weeds remain could it be possible they have evolved and changed their feeding habits/locations??
I believe they have and that is what makes it a beast of a lake to fish and frustrating at times for anglers.
Could someone that had fished this when the weed beds were still thriving chime in an tell how the muskie fishing was compared to now with no weeds to fish? I think it makes it much more challenging and that is why there is no angler pressure on this lake anymore.
chuckski
Posted 4/13/2020 5:13 PM (#957764 - in reply to #955629)

it's on my wish list , deep, clear and not crowded = big fat fish. Like to cast deep in open water with my weighted bucktails, extra weighted jerks and plastic and last but not least count down cranks.
I could fish all week not see a fish and be happy.
When I got Dick Pearson's Muskies on the Shield the first chapter I read was "Trout Water"
I hate the idea of pulling up to a weed bed and being the 8th boat thru that day.
MD75
Posted 4/14/2020 2:56 PM (#957859 - in reply to #957764)

chuckski - 4/13/2020 5:13 PM

I could fish all week not see a fish and be happy.

Then Trout Lake is the place for you!
You'll love it:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)