Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Season date changes for muskies!

Message Subject: Season date changes for muskies!
Larry Ramsell
Posted 2/27/2020 9:05 AM (#954211)
Subject: Season date changes for muskies!

https://www.thefishingwire.com/releases/8b877e6b-563b-41e5-8789-c2e6...
FlyPiker
Posted 2/27/2020 9:15 AM (#954213 - in reply to #954211)
Subject: Re: Season date changes for muskies!

This is interesting as it extends the season (some years) but makes it so ice fishing and targeting muskies is a no-go in the northern region - if I'm reading it correctly. The change to MN-WI border waters is another one that Could be interesting, but really isn't too big of a change. I'm assuming their lumping them all together now instead of having different regs for the St Croix and the St Louis?
ghoti
Posted 2/27/2020 2:42 PM (#954229 - in reply to #954211)

The Wi/Mi opener going to June 1st puts it a week later than the general musky opener for northern Wi. Doesn't make sense to me.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/28/2020 7:43 AM (#954241 - in reply to #954229)

Also worth a mention....this years spring ballots are proposing moving the northern opener to first Saturday in May, under the premise that it will boost tourism. I’m not sure what the odds of it getting passed are, but I am sure a lot of people have no idea there’s a group of individuals trying to sneak this in. I won’t tell anyone how you should feel about it, but if you feel a certain way make sure your voice is heard.

There were absolutely actively spawning Muskies in Vilas Co lakes first week of May last year, at least on a few lakes.

Edited by Musky Brian 2/28/2020 7:44 AM
sukrchukr
Posted 2/28/2020 8:57 AM (#954245 - in reply to #954211)

I also seen the early open proposal.... I will be a definite NO on that one
4amuskie
Posted 2/28/2020 12:55 PM (#954254 - in reply to #954229)

ghoti - 2/27/2020 2:42 PM

The Wi/Mi opener going to June 1st puts it a week later than the general musky opener for northern Wi. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think there will be some clarification coming on that since there is no closed C&R season in Michigan and the keep season starts first saturday in June. In other words, Michigan license holders are allowed to fish the boundary waters but Wisconsin residents are not.
North of 8
Posted 3/29/2020 5:41 PM (#956742 - in reply to #954241)

Musky Brian - 2/28/2020 7:43 AM

Also worth a mention....this years spring ballots are proposing moving the northern opener to first Saturday in May, under the premise that it will boost tourism. I’m not sure what the odds of it getting passed are, but I am sure a lot of people have no idea there’s a group of individuals trying to sneak this in. I won’t tell anyone how you should feel about it, but if you feel a certain way make sure your voice is heard.

There were absolutely actively spawning Muskies in Vilas Co lakes first week of May last year, at least on a few lakes.

Had read this when first posted but had not gone out and read the spring ballot until this weekend. While out for a walk, saw a neighbor going in the opposite direction. He asked me if I was aware of it and told him I had not yet read the actual advisory question. He was quite upset about the proposed change for the northern zone. I later read it and saw it would be catch and release only, no harvest between the time the general fishing opens and the Saturday before Memorial Day, when the northern zone musky season normally opens. It further states that the DNR had determined it would have no biological impact. Living on a musky lake and being retired, I have the opportunity to fish quite a bit, so not really a big deal one way or the other for me. Wondering if I am missing something, about why this should not happen.
OldMuskyGuy
Posted 3/29/2020 8:18 PM (#956750 - in reply to #954211)
Subject: RE: Season date changes for muskies!

Saw muskies spawning on several small lakes here in Oneida Co. WI last year while fishing the bass opening week-end, but my understanding that on these lakes, the spawning is for the most part unsuccessful due to improper habitat, so catch and release wouldn't be a big deal there, I just wonder about the rivers, if it would disrupt spawning there.
North of 8
Posted 3/30/2020 8:36 AM (#956782 - in reply to #956750)

OldMuskyGuy - 3/29/2020 8:18 PM

Saw muskies spawning on several small lakes here in Oneida Co. WI last year while fishing the bass opening week-end, but my understanding that on these lakes, the spawning is for the most part unsuccessful due to improper habitat, so catch and release wouldn't be a big deal there, I just wonder about the rivers, if it would disrupt spawning there.

I live on a chain where the muskies do reproduce and has no stocking. In fact, I normally see them on the "sunny" side of my dock in a little sandy area during spawning season. But, if the DNR says there is no biological impact of the catch and release early season, I guess I don't see the concern. Bass and pike fishermen catch muskies in that period and they typically don't have the nets, release tools musky fishermen do.
OldMuskyGuy
Posted 3/31/2020 6:55 PM (#956909 - in reply to #956782)

I never knew they were naturally spawning there. I knew the DNR hasn't stocked there since the mid 70's, I guess I just figured there was private stocking going on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)