Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> SI or DI?

Reply New post
Message Subject: SI or DI?
mikie
Posted 2/26/2020 11:36 AM (#954177)
Subject: SI or DI?

Thinking about buying a new 'bird for the front of the boat, attaching the transducer to the trolling motor. Looking at the Helix 5, which is better for casting - side image or down image? pros and cons? thanks, m
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2020 12:04 PM (#954180 - in reply to #954177)
Subject: RE: SI or DI?

For the front of the boat, DI. SI on the front requires a special transducer and is hard to interpret if you are making a lot of side to side adjustments.

That said, I run a 'Bird 360 and absolutely love it. See the fish 360 degrees around the boat, how far away, and cast. I run mine off the front, but the transducer is attached to the trolling motor shaft on my Ultrex, and doesn't turn when the motor does.
mikie
Posted 2/26/2020 12:31 PM (#954184 - in reply to #954177)
Subject: Re: SI or DI?

Thanks, Steve, I was wondering if turning the TM was going to be a problem. I found another model without the side/down features. m
mikie
Posted 2/26/2020 4:07 PM (#954193 - in reply to #954177)

Does anyone have any experience with this unit:
Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP DI/GPS G2 Combo
Fishfinder / Chartplotter

Some of the reviews on BPS weren't that favorable, loss of signal in shallow water and stuff not working; hard to believe everything you read on the Internet, tho! thanks, m
muskyhunter07
Posted 2/26/2020 5:28 PM (#954196 - in reply to #954193)

it's a good unit, that unit is not net-workable. and doesn't sound like a mega imaging unit either.
pstrombe
Posted 2/26/2020 5:43 PM (#954197 - in reply to #954177)

Since late last fall I have been running a Helix 7 SI DI which is essentially the next unit up from the Helix 5 on the back of my boat and a Hook 7 on the front with a trolling motor mounted transducer. I do not believe Minn Kota will be introducing an internal side scan unit until later this spring.
Overall I really like the unit and just got back from 3 weeks in Florida where I fished almost everyday. After using the Helix 7 for a week I realized I should have bought at least a 10 to get a better pixel count. I normally run the side scan at 50 to 65 feet to get better images. The Lowrance and Hummingbird units do not interfere with one another so IMO there is an advantage to having independent transducers on front & back. No complaints with the Helix.
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2020 5:58 PM (#954199 - in reply to #954177)

I have one of the G2 5" models I use for ice. Great sonar! I went to 8" Mega units on the boat last Spring.
jase2
Posted 3/7/2020 3:15 AM (#955505 - in reply to #954177)
Subject: RE: SI or DI?

mikie:

a couple things and forgive me if I get off topic:

1. I would go as large as you can afford on the screen size. Look at the 5 at a shop somewhere and make sure you will be able to see it well. If you cannot see it, it is really no good right?

2. You may be able to use the transducer already present on your tM if you plan to place your new unit on the front of the boat. If you have a MinnKota tm this may be possible, but you would only get 2D DI if you go that route. However, not having to buy a transducer will save you a few bucks. Also, if you do not have a Minn Kota, or you do not have a transducer already wired internally into your Minn Kota, you will need to hook your transducer up externally.

3. I just bought two new Helix units (9") this year and they are really nice. No problems with either unit at all.

Hope this helps. Jason

mikie
Posted 3/8/2020 8:36 AM (#955537 - in reply to #955505)

Thanks. There is limited space on the front deck of my 16 ft BassTracker, so the small screen is essential, as is a removable mount. I'd plan to use the depthfinder mode mostly, since the GPS on he Lowrance in the mid=section of the boat is used the most for navigation. I've got just a regular transducer mounted to my Motorguide, the mount should work on the new one. Sill working with me wife on the right time to spend the money; I've got a birthday in less than a month...m

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RVG0j2C9/DSCN0888.jpg[/img]

Edited by mikie 3/8/2020 8:46 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)