Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Looking for suggestions on a new to me boat

Reply New post
Message Subject: Looking for suggestions on a new to me boat
Barphbag
Posted 2/5/2020 3:59 PM (#953540)
Subject: Looking for suggestions on a new to me boat

I’m soon to be in the market for a new used boat and I’m looking for advice. I’ve only fished Indiana so nothing over 750 acres. I currently have a 17’ Fisher modified V, I really like the layout but it’s now 20 years old & I’m looking to upgrade. Looking to stay in the 17-18’ range as I fish solo or one other guy 95% of the time. Dislikes are it’s aluminum and blows around like a cork and the carbureted 2 stroke is finicky. Ideal boat to me looks like a Ranger 618 which is hard to find or a Tuffy 1760 that is even harder to find. I’m in southern Indiana so Tuffys are nonexistent here and bass boats are the norm, which I’m not opposed to if the layout works. Looking for fiberglass with a four stroke, maybe 10 years old so it’s affordable. Don’t hear much about Triton, Stratos, etc, maybe there are other options I haven’t considered?
Thanks in advance and sorry about the long rambling...
esoxaddict
Posted 2/5/2020 5:26 PM (#953541 - in reply to #953540)
Subject: Re: Looking for suggestions on a new to me boat

Not sure if you fish solo or with others...

It's usually just my wife and I, maybe a third person once in a while. We mainly fish lakes that are 1,000 acres max, usual is under 500 acres. I have the perfect boat IMO.

2001 Ranger 681VS, single console with a 115 Yamaha 4 Stroke. It's big enough for the occasional big water adventure, fishing 3 in the boat is doable and not all that crowded. It's a gem for small waters and crappy landings, which describe most of what we fish in N/WI. 8'6" rods fit in the locker, plenty of storage, one guy in back, one center, and one on the front deck and nobody gets in each others way. Boat will do 42 MPH on a calm day with 3 guys and way too much gear. Even on big lakes like Eagle, 42 MPH is plenty fast. With only two in the boat, it's all the boat I'd ever need. I tow with a 2500 HD, so I basically don't even know its there unless I'm looking in the mirror. Another advantage is the single axle trailer. I can move it around in the garage by hand and not have to break my ass tucking it into a corner. Had a wet soggy night in N WI a few years back that caused the trailer jack to sink 8" down in the mud leaving me unable to hook up the boat in the morning. A cup of coffee and some anger left me easily able to lift the trailer hold the tongue in the air long enough for my wife to back up the truck, though I was worried about my balls for a bit.
BNelson
Posted 2/5/2020 6:15 PM (#953543 - in reply to #953540)

there was a nice white 618 tiller on the walleye boats for sale group on facebook for 20k that had a Yamaha on it.. all those boats you mention are not that hard to find if you look, there is also a 618 console on walleye central for 16k

Edited by BNelson 2/5/2020 6:17 PM
Barphbag
Posted 2/5/2020 7:32 PM (#953546 - in reply to #953540)

Thank you both, I was leaning heavily toward either a 618 or 681, not exactly how much difference there is. Thanks again
vegas492
Posted 2/6/2020 7:59 AM (#953553 - in reply to #953540)

Both boats referenced would be great, I'll add another one.
Ranger 1880 angler. 18 footer, single axle trailer, very large front casting deck. Lots of walk around space, comes with two jump seats in the back. Glass. My buddy has one and I enjoy fishing out of it. I think he has a 200 horse Verado on his and it goes about 47-48.

The "drawback" is the back deck. It's pretty small and there is not the "U" shape around the back of the boat for storage. So, it is great for trolling, but if you want the double decks you have to build one yourself.

If you find one of these, used, check them out, could be a good one for you.
BNelson
Posted 2/6/2020 8:39 AM (#953555 - in reply to #953540)

if you are fishing 750 acres and under why not a tiller? for small bodies like that might be more room if you don't need the speed of a console.. a very nice 617t with 80 hp yammy 4 stroke popped up on walleye boats facebook group today for 16k....
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/6/2020 9:28 AM (#953557 - in reply to #953540)

FWIW, there is a Tuffy 1760 in the Outdoors First Classifieds.
ToddM
Posted 2/6/2020 10:30 AM (#953560 - in reply to #953540)

You can find these boats but you may have to make a long trip to buy one. Just keep looking they will pop up. Other options to throw out there, Skeeter and Yarcraft.

Edited by ToddM 2/6/2020 10:32 AM
DWags
Posted 2/6/2020 6:47 PM (#953580 - in reply to #953540)
Subject: RE: Looking for suggestions on a new to me boat

I hate social media, so I hate saying this but if you dont have a Facebook account you are missing out on used boats. I looked for a 681vs for 2 years. At the urging of others, I set up a fake Facebook account just to boat shop. And I found one I liked pretty quickly on a random post by some guy down in TN. That is the best advice I got.
DWags
Posted 2/6/2020 6:49 PM (#953581 - in reply to #953540)

I would add that group Brad is talking about -walleye boats for sale- should be checked daily.
Barphbag
Posted 2/7/2020 7:24 AM (#953587 - in reply to #953540)

Thank you all. Todd- that’s what I’m seeing is I might have to make a trek to get what I want. Brad- I like the open layout of a tiller but am concerned about the back casting platform , if I fish with another guy seems like the guy in the back doesn’t get much room. I didn’t know about the walleye boats page, I’ll be trolling it daily.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 2/9/2020 8:03 AM (#953619 - in reply to #953540)

PM me I may have a good option.
erico
Posted 2/10/2020 8:44 AM (#953652 - in reply to #953540)

That FB Walleye Boats group is where I found my Tuffy last spring. Made a 5 hour drive for it, so be open to travelling. I had Tuffy make me a deck extension for my Osprey 1700 for more casting room.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Tuffy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tuffy.jpg (90KB - 444 downloads)
Barphbag
Posted 2/10/2020 8:26 PM (#953674 - in reply to #953619)

PM sent
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)