Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Boat Set Up Ideas

Reply New post
Message Subject: Boat Set Up Ideas
ToothyCritter
Posted 1/14/2020 4:33 PM (#952523)
Subject: Boat Set Up Ideas

I'm looking at ideas to improve rod storage and placement for a Ranger Reata 1850MS. The rod storage in the floor is limited to 7' and I find it cumbersome to use that compartment.

The floor compartment is great for life jackets and Mable. Mable is a 3 person tube that happens to fit. Fun to take a mid day break on a hot day and try to lose/shake loose a bikini top.

I'm having to lay rods on the passenger side or up front from the bow to the windshield or both in most cases. I wish I could figure out a way to store rods better.

We have both Walleye/Bass open faced and Muskie rods rigs with us at all times. We Tend to have 4 people in the boat most often, so 8 rods and reel combos are in the boat at a minimum, rigged and ready to cast. I like the idea of tube holders but where would it fit? Can't drill in the livewell. I Hate the rod clutter on the floors, hooks exposed catching towels or anything else.

Outside of limiting rods or people witch is no fun, I'm stumped on how to solve this.

This pic show tube holders on the rails, but I'm hoping there is a better solution than this.

Edited by ToothyCritter 1/14/2020 4:54 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Ranger Dock red.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ranger Dock red.jpg (81KB - 465 downloads)
Windy City
Posted 1/14/2020 5:17 PM (#952526 - in reply to #952523)
Subject: RE: Boat Set Up Ideas

I looked on Rangers site and it looks like you have (or could have) rod holders in the rear deck. I would use gimbal style mounts (search Traxtech) and use a track bar on them. Then you can mount rocket launchers on those, as many as you want. Landing net handle drops into rocket launchers (or adjustable rod holders) too.

You may have to replace the factory in deck rod holders as some are the smaller diameter. Some are 1-1/4", some are 1-1/2".

Gimbal style mounts provide a lot of options for mounting many things and they are fast to insert/remove. Just drop em in.
ToothyCritter
Posted 1/15/2020 7:33 AM (#952549 - in reply to #952526)

What a great suggestion WC. All I need to do is check the ID of the factory rod holders currently in the deck for compatibility, replace if needed. The fact that it can be removed, broken down and stored is even better.

I appreciate the help and great idea.

Thanks,
Mike

Found the Gimbal mount and Traxtex site..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Gimbal Mount.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Gimbal Mount.jpg (10KB - 454 downloads)
MartinTD
Posted 1/15/2020 10:34 AM (#952560 - in reply to #952523)
Subject: Re: Boat Set Up Ideas

I have a similar problem with rod storage and have considered something along the lines of this product. It is made for the back deck and I would prefer it be right on the gunnel. However, the concept is good and might be fairly easy to customize the mount.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bac_Rac_Rod_Rac_Version_2/descpage-B...
Windy City
Posted 1/15/2020 10:45 AM (#952561 - in reply to #952523)

It looks like I was off on ID/OD, they are 1-1/2" and 1-3/4". I believe Traxtech sells both. I have all 1-3/4" stuff as i started in the past with these on my Tiara. I have 2 sets of downriggers, rod trees, and other accessory mounts and I can use any of them in any boat that has the rod holders. If you want to change or add flush mount holders, Lee's makes the best ones. Also there is a company called MateSeries that sells SS ones that have a cup holder integrated.
When I install these i always use backer plates.
mikie
Posted 1/15/2020 3:50 PM (#952587 - in reply to #952523)

See if any of these products will help:

http://fatazmusky.com/store/

m
ToothyCritter
Posted 1/16/2020 7:46 AM (#952623 - in reply to #952587)

The boat is in storage at the dealership. I let the owner know what I was up to and he is going to check the ID of the flush mounts that were already installed at the factory. I have a feeling that the ID will be too small and will need to be replaced. I see that Tracktech has both 1.5 & 1.750 dia. Pending ID measurement, we will see what’s needed or can go with from there.

I’m thinking by using both flush mounts and having a track span the width, this gives me plenty of room to add more than enough tubes. So that’s the initial approach I’m going with. Looking at this set up, I believe the track could be easily tilted out of the way for anyone using the back casting deck or simply pulled out and stored neatly and re set when casting and blasting..

With so much gear, it will not be perfect but this would be an improvement. On long run’s from camp on LOTW to our fishing grounds that have us cross deepwater bay often, this would be a nice set up to help prevent lure tangles and possible rod damage.
Windy City
Posted 1/16/2020 5:00 PM (#952675 - in reply to #952523)

You can use the adjustable ones or the solid ones then add your own length track.

Another option are the trees and you can add rod holders to create smaller but taller assemblies.

Charter Captain friend of mine was telling someone "You can always tell a true fishing boat if it looks like a porcupine going across the lake".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)