Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Late June Grand Rapids area MN trip suggestions

Message Subject: Late June Grand Rapids area MN trip suggestions
MTMuskie
Posted 1/9/2020 10:07 AM (#952203)
Subject: Late June Grand Rapids area MN trip suggestions

Hello everyone!  Figured I'd try a quick message here since I've seen a few posts about "solo" anglers looking for folks that might want to fish for a day or something.  I say "quick", but I'm never too brief (my apologies)....
So the last two summers I've taken a week off work and drove out from where I live in western MT, and plan to continue this "best week of my year" till I die!  In 2018, I focused around Grand Rapids, where as last year I focused south of Detroit Lakes.  This year my plan is to head back to the lakes I'd fished by Grand Rapids as I had way more follows and honestly dreaming about follows is what keeps me going throughout the year!  I'd fished Deer (only for an evening with my dad's college buddy), Moose, Spider, North Star, and also fished Mantrap on the way.  This year I plan to fish Mantrap at the beginning and end of my trip so that I'm driving by Leech twice, in the thoughts that if it's calm at that moment I'll put my boat in and at least be able to try and fish Leech for a bit.  I don't have a big water boat, so that's why I don't want to plan an entire day for Leech. Also, for my job I'm not really supposed to take chunks of time off between July 4th and Labor Day... which is rough for my long distance muskie addiction.  So both years I've gone the last week of June, as late as I can. Don't worry... my questions/advice are coming up....
First question - this year the Solunar forecast is way better for the week of 6/20-26 vs 6/27-7/1.  So my question is should I come the first week option (for great Solunar days) or the second week (for one more week of warming lake temps)?Second question - short of the lake names I list above does anyone have suggestions on others, or any I should stay away from in that Grand Rapids area?And lastly, not a question, but an offer - if anyone would like to join a dude from MT for a day on the water, feel free to reach out.  I know it's crazy early to plan a day on the water sometime in late June, but since I have to schedule real time off I'm already thinking about it!  And know - I'm not looking for someone to guide me or show me secret spots, I just know I could learn a thing or two even seeing someone do a proper figure 8....  I've got an 18ft Skeeter bass boat, so also know you wouldn't be going out in some huge, deep V'd muskie machine! 
Thank you for anyone with the time to toss any suggestions my way!

Edited by MTMuskie 1/9/2020 10:12 AM
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/9/2020 11:05 AM (#952206 - in reply to #952203)
Subject: Re: Late June Grand Rapids area MN trip suggestions

I'd personally shoot for the later dates, warmer water is almost always better that time of year.

If you come to Leech, consider launching in Sucker or Portage bay. You'd be able to fish effectively from an 18' bass boat if the wind is under 10 mph, maybe 15 mph or more if you stick to the calm side.

Good luck!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/9/2020 11:37 AM (#952208 - in reply to #952203)

I’d definitely go later as well. Mid June is very touchy and is likely an open water bite. One very important thing is to make sure you drain and clean your boat between changing lakes. Some have invasive zebra muscles that can easily attach to your boat and weeds on your trailer. Take care not to transport them from lake to lake.
musky513
Posted 1/9/2020 2:29 PM (#952212 - in reply to #952203)

PM sent
dtaijo174
Posted 1/10/2020 4:18 PM (#952269 - in reply to #952203)

I love the Grand Rapids area for the scenery alone!
I've had pretty good luck on North Star, but struggled mightily in June. I just wasn't able to find them consistently. Also, Spider had a massive musky die off a few years ago that the DNR documented. There was something like 50-75 reported adults left in the lake. The lake was also stocked with Shoepack (small strain) musky. That has since changed to Leech lake strain in 2016. I'm eagerly waiting for those fish to grow up, but I would avoid the lake until then.
Deer has some biggies, but it's super clear water. Perhaps it would be best to save that for cloudy days.
Never fished Moose.

Now the big question is Pokegama. That was stocked back in 2010 for the first time. I haven't tried it, but I very much want to. Please report back if you get out there.
TSMUSKY89
Posted 1/11/2020 12:58 PM (#952297 - in reply to #952203)

If I was driving a distance to fish, I wouldn’t spend time on Leech during that time of year. There’s limited weed structure, and the fish haven’t moved up on rocks yet. If you are driving past leech headed towards GR, , I would consider the Longville area of lakes. Smaller water for your boat and a better shot at catching a fish.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/12/2020 9:33 AM (#952326 - in reply to #952203)

Cass will be on the way also.
MTMuskie
Posted 1/14/2020 11:06 AM (#952488 - in reply to #952203)
Subject: RE: Late June Grand Rapids area MN trip suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions!  Still lots of time between now and when I'll be out there if anyone thinks of more ideas to consider!  I truly appreciate everything, from hit this spot to don't hit this spot.  When these fish are already needles in haystacks, and I only have a week each year to devote to them (and not an optimum week at that), it's so nice to narrow things down a bit.  Probably like if you guys drove out here to find an elk...  we've got lots of mountains, but not all of them are good spots!  Things like die-offs I just wouldn't know about if it wasn't for great comments from you all!Right now I'm feeling like I'll do something like Mantrap, then one or two of the Longville lakes, then Grand Rapids for a couple days (I've got to hit North Star as two years ago I caught my only fish (34"), but had lots of exciting follows, then swing back and hit Cass.  I'm going to be excited about that one as it will be the biggest and most well-known lake I will have ever hit.
And I appreciate the invasive species reminder!  I've been thoroughly impressed by how many check stations you all have.  Though I will admit last year on Lobster I forgot to put my plug back in and realized it after an hour of fishing.... glad no one was at the launch when this MT schmuck was draining his boat on the trailer...
Thanks again everyone!
Seilers
Posted 1/14/2020 11:08 AM (#952489 - in reply to #952488)
Subject: RE: Late June Grand Rapids area MN trip suggestions

Sent you a PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)