Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling from a Esox Magnum

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling from a Esox Magnum
miket55
Posted 1/1/2020 12:23 PM (#951829)
Subject: Trolling from a Esox Magnum

I'm looking at setting up said boat for a little trolling. Arthritis won't allow me to cast from dawn til dusk anymore, I find myself needing to take a break from casting around midday. I can eat a sandwich, troll a little and wait for the ibuprofen to kick in.

I have an idea about a setup, but I'm sure someone out there has the better mousetrap, and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by miket55 1/1/2020 12:25 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/1/2020 2:39 PM (#951840 - in reply to #951829)
Subject: Re: Trolling from a Esox Magnum

Tuffy has stainless rails that can be installed on the Magnum to attach rod holders. It's basically nothing but a stainless hand rail, drilled through the glass on the side with rubber washers on the fastener so no damage happens over the years. You can buy the handrails online.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/1/2020 4:15 PM (#951845 - in reply to #951829)

I have rails on all my boats basically because I troll quite a bit. I troll for most everything but usually have a big net. After I net a fish i'll often stick the handle in my rod holder on the rail. That keeps the fish in the water. I'll let the fish settle down while getting a pliers or whatever i'll need for the release. On bigger fish i'll often pop the hook and lift the basket and roll the fish out rather then grabbing it. I'm told it helps in protecting the slime and is better for the fish. I'm not a expert but it makes some sense I guess. In addition I'll sometimes step on the rails vs the boat (fiberglass) when entering and exiting. Especially if I have walked through a bunch of sand. Lastly like Steve mentioned it's a good place for bumpers and dock lines.
MD75
Posted 1/1/2020 7:28 PM (#951861 - in reply to #951829)

I used to do quite a bit of trolling from an Esox hull. The downeast salty rod holders will clamp right over the gunnels. If I were to set up a esox magnum for trolling I would contact Fat AZ and get the clamp on salty they make that will allow you to tip your rods. Easy on and off and no drilling necessary. My boat was a tiller and was an excellent trolling boat!
Hope that helps...take care!
miket55
Posted 1/2/2020 10:07 AM (#951874 - in reply to #951829)

Thanks for the suggestions gents... I'll check with Tuffy, and get with the folks at Fat AZ next weekend at the Ohio Show.
Jerry Newman
Posted 1/2/2020 12:01 PM (#951880 - in reply to #951861)

MD75 - 1/1/2020 7:28 PM
I would contact Fat AZ and get the clamp on salty they make that will allow you to tip your rods. Easy on and off and no drilling necessary.

x2, great products!
Jerry Newman
Posted 1/2/2020 12:14 PM (#951881 - in reply to #951845)

Brian Hoffies - 1/1/2020 4:15 PM

I have rails on all my boats basically because I troll quite a bit. I troll for most everything but usually have a big net. After I net a fish i'll often stick the handle in my rod holder on the rail. That keeps the fish in the water. I'll let the fish settle down while getting a pliers or whatever i'll need for the release.

Excellent point on anchoring the hoop over the rail and rod holder. I also recommend having a strap in place to secure the end of the handle so that the hoop angle is perfect, and the net is now completely hands-free.

Another good tip is to not bring the net with the fish against the boat right away… sounds silly until you notice how many deep scratches you end up with on the side of your boat from hooks during the normal initial thrashing in the net deal.
kdebell
Posted 1/3/2020 9:30 AM (#951916 - in reply to #951829)
Subject: RE: Trolling from a Esox Magnum

I had rails on my Esox Mag and they were nice to have, but they were located in the back of the boat. I got them from a friend who had them fabricated, if you can I would try to go that route as they will be extremely overpriced from Tuffy, at least that was the case from the last owner. I also used the clamp on salty's, but only for suckers. I am sure they will hold, but I was a little worried they may come loose.
sworrall
Posted 1/3/2020 10:53 AM (#951918 - in reply to #951881)

Jerry Newman - 1/2/2020 12:14 PM

Brian Hoffies - 1/1/2020 4:15 PM

I have rails on all my boats basically because I troll quite a bit. I troll for most everything but usually have a big net. After I net a fish i'll often stick the handle in my rod holder on the rail. That keeps the fish in the water. I'll let the fish settle down while getting a pliers or whatever i'll need for the release.

Excellent point on anchoring the hoop over the rail and rod holder. I also recommend having a strap in place to secure the end of the handle so that the hoop angle is perfect, and the net is now completely hands-free.

Another good tip is to not bring the net with the fish against the boat right away… sounds silly until you notice how many deep scratches you end up with on the side of your boat from hooks during the normal initial thrashing in the net deal.

The rails on a Mag are attached to the hull through the side, so the rail is side-to-hull, not vertical.
kdebell
Posted 1/6/2020 8:24 AM (#952012 - in reply to #951918)

The rails I had made were custom so they anchored to the back two flat spots. I am sure the rails from the factory are similar to the rails on my 1890 without the cap. I just didn't want to drill through the side of my boat.
anzomcik
Posted 1/8/2020 6:58 AM (#952143 - in reply to #951874)

miket55 - 1/2/2020 11:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions gents... I'll check with Tuffy, and get with the folks at Fat AZ next weekend at the Ohio Show.

AZ will be going to Ohio very lightly loaded sharing a booth with Baker this year, for several reasons, but mainly because we have little inventory after filling orders to online retailers. Only Vance will be at the booth. For specific boat set up questions you would want to get a hold of Andy, hit him up on email or social media messaging if you wish to discuss some options.
miket55
Posted 1/8/2020 12:14 PM (#952165 - in reply to #952143)

anzomcik - 1/8/2020 7:58 AM

miket55 - 1/2/2020 11:07 AM

AZ will be going to Ohio very lightly loaded sharing a booth with Baker this year, for several reasons, but mainly because we have little inventory after filling orders to online retailers. Only Vance will be at the booth. For specific boat set up questions you would want to get a hold of Andy, hit him up on email or social media messaging if you wish to discuss some options.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll contact Andy next week.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)