Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Buying a new Lund

Reply New post
Message Subject: Buying a new Lund
Cabbage Patch
Posted 12/26/2019 11:44 AM (#951601)
Subject: Buying a new Lund

For those of you that have bought a Lund recently which dealer has given you the best deal and service? Looking at getting an Impact 1875 ss. I live in Milwaukee but will travel to save som $$$.
phselect
Posted 12/26/2019 12:10 PM (#951604 - in reply to #951601)
Subject: RE: Buying a new Lund

I realize it's a bit of a haul for you, but I bought my new 2018 Lund Impact 1775 XS from Power Lodge in Brainerd, MN just over a year ago. Price-wise, they were equal or better than other dealers in the area. They were easy to work with, and gave me a fair price for my trade-in (I shopped around). Also, they had no problem rigging my old electronics/trolling motor on the new boat, and did a good job.

Edited by phselect 12/26/2019 12:12 PM
Windy City
Posted 12/26/2019 12:23 PM (#951605 - in reply to #951601)

I have not purchased a new Lund but a few months ago I started looking for a new fiberglass fishing boat and had settled between a Ranger or a Warrior. In the end I bought a Warrior but this was after vetting Rangers both as far as pricing and dealers abilities. One of the dealers I went to was M-W Marine in Hales Corners, they are a Lund dealer also. I was impressed with their service ability and service after the sale seemed to be a very important part to them. I would visit them as part of your plan.

Also the Milwaukee boat show is a great place to look at fishing boats of all brands.

Chris was the guy I spoke with at M-W Marine.

I don't think you will be able to drive too far to offset a different price on an Impact. Your fuel and time will quickly surpass any savings. I would recommend focusing on dealer service after the sale as it will outweigh a couple of bucks upfront on the purchase.

Remember the dealer is responsible for verifying the factory did what they are supposed to do, and and dealer installed rigging. It's not like buying a car that's ready to go when it comes off the transport.
sworrall
Posted 12/26/2019 10:03 PM (#951616 - in reply to #951601)
Subject: Re: Buying a new Lund

M-W would be a great choice.
Muskie Bob
Posted 12/27/2019 5:17 AM (#951620 - in reply to #951601)

Whites Marine Center in Missouri is one of the larger Lund dealers. They have sold several boats to out of state customers. I believe they may arrange delivery to out of state customers too.
It might be worth while to check them out.

https://www.whitesmarinecenter.com/
7ovr50
Posted 12/27/2019 10:39 AM (#951624 - in reply to #951601)

How far do you want to travel. I just bought my second Lund,a 1775 Impact SS, in four years from Haines Marine in N.E. Ohio. Base price is base price set by Lund but both times I saved a very substantial amount of $$$ on electronics that I had that the dealer installed as well as other dealer provided options and dealer prep. It's only a phone call away to find out. They are open weekends only in January. They blew the other local Lund dealers away on the bottom line total. I mean AWAY!
DWags
Posted 12/28/2019 7:40 AM (#951641 - in reply to #951601)

Sounds like maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd try to find a good dealer as close as possible and not travel out of state. I've always felt service is better when you go back to the dealer in which your boat was purchased. What if you have warranty issues with the hull or motor? Are you going to run back to that out of state dealer? Or stay local for those services? Anyway, just another way to look at it I guess. If it were me, I'd get some quotes from other dealers and show those to the local dealer. You might be surprised by what they can do for you. Good luck, Lunds are great boats.
7ovr50
Posted 12/28/2019 7:50 AM (#951643 - in reply to #951641)

I don't know if this is the norm but I did exactly what you proposed. I took the best proposal to the other Lund dealers in my area along with theres' and asked if they could match it. These proposals were exact matches across the board not ONE dealer in my area came down a cent. In fact there was never a wavier from any dealer or counter offer of reduced dealer prep or installation charges. I had cash in hand. I was ready to write a check on the spot. It made no impact at all. I hope your luck is better dealing with the local dealers.

Edited by 7ovr50 12/28/2019 8:09 PM
horsehunter
Posted 12/28/2019 8:12 AM (#951645 - in reply to #951641)

DWags - 12/28/2019 8:40 AM

Sounds like maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd try to find a good dealer as close as possible and not travel out of state. I've always felt service is better when you go back to the dealer in which your boat was purchased. What if you have warranty issues with the hull or motor? Are you going to run back to that out of state dealer? Or stay local for those services? Anyway, just another way to look at it I guess. If it were me, I'd get some quotes from other dealers and show those to the local dealer. You might be surprised by what they can do for you. Good luck, Lunds are great boats.

Not as far as I'm concerned after sale service is more important than a few bucks at purchase. If I have issues I don't want to drive 100 miles. If I was a local dealer and you brought in a boat for service that you had driven to save a few bucks your place in line would start behind boats I had sold.

I have bought my trucks from the same dealership for over 30 years it's family run they treat me well and I like the service. I have used the same marine dealership for an equal length of time for the same reasons. over the years I have sent them a lot of business, they know it and appreciate it . When i look for service my boat doesn't sit in the yard. Both are within 25 miles of home.

Some small town dealerships don't get the volume discounts of big city dealers but they can make it up in many other ways. They tend to have low staff turnover and you deal with the same sales and mechanics for many years.

Edited by horsehunter 12/28/2019 8:19 AM
pstrombe
Posted 12/28/2019 9:10 AM (#951648 - in reply to #951601)

I live in Minnesota and typically make all my major (cars, boats etc) purchases in Wisconsin. Cost of doing business is lower and rural dealers have less overhead. I have no problem traveling for big ticket items.
jchiggins
Posted 12/28/2019 10:35 AM (#951649 - in reply to #951601)

Boat shows are coming up. No better time to shop around if you're ready to pull the trigger. Manufacturers and dealers will often offer incentives that are only available at the shows.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 12/28/2019 1:59 PM (#951656 - in reply to #951649)

Thanks for the opinions from everyone. The reason I asked was to see if my last boat buying experience was the norm or not. I priced the same Impact in 2014 and saved $3k by traveling 1 hour away. The dealer close to me only said “that ____ ____” and came up with some excuse about what was wrong with the other dealer.

This year I went to the guy I bought from 6 years ago and got a written quote which was $2k less than 3 other dealers in the state of Wisconsin. I will take it to my dealer in town and see if I get the same response.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/28/2019 2:45 PM (#951661 - in reply to #951601)

I learned longgggggggggggggggggg ago, never downgrade the competition. Talk up what your company or product can provide the consumer. Where you are stronger than others (without mentioning names) and how you want the business. Always take the high road I was told.

If the dealer will bad mouth the other guys, what do you suppose he says about you? In my opinion when a guy runs down a competitor he is giving you a inside look at HIS character.
TheShow
Posted 12/29/2019 11:02 PM (#951714 - in reply to #951661)

Another vote for M-W. I went through Shawn.

MW was not the cheapest option, however they were really close. They also offered the highest quote for my trade (traded in an Alumacraft Magnum 165). The customer service made up for the few extra bucks. My buying/research process lasted over a year before I was finally ready to pull the trigger. Shawn always responded to my questions/concerns and wasn't pushy. After a year of pestering him, he got the sale.

MW usually has a big display at the Milwaukee boat show in January too. That's a nice option to see different Lund models, accessories, and ask questions.
FishHateMe
Posted 12/30/2019 7:39 AM (#951721 - in reply to #951601)

I contacted several dealers in IL, WI, MI and MN that had the boat in stock that I was looking for (Impact 2025 XS). I live in the western suburbs of Chicago. Hennepin Marine in Hennepin, IL - about a 100 mile drive from where i live, was head and shoulders above rest in regards to a good price, but just as importantly, Rich Casey (one of the owners) was very responsive and quick to follow up on quotes on additional add-ons and other dumb questions I had, before I pulled the trigger. Since then, Hennepin has been great to work with - from delivery, replying to my emails with more dumb questions; to some minor warranty work, and winterization.

This was my first new boat purchase and I've come to completely understand the adage "buy from a good dealer". Good luck with whomever you go with. The Impact is an awesome boat!
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/30/2019 4:12 PM (#951746 - in reply to #951601)

Bought a used ProV GL from Rich.
Great guys over there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)