Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> First Time in Canada - July

Message Subject: First Time in Canada - July
acafisherman19
Posted 12/25/2019 9:46 PM (#951578)
Subject: First Time in Canada - July

Yes, I know this topic has been covered many, many times - believe me, I've read all the threads :). Still I'm a little undecided and looking for some specific advice as I've always wanted to go to Canada muskie fishing and want the first time to be great.

A buddy and I are planning to head up to northwest Ontario (from central WI) sometime in July as that's when he can get away from work. We can probably only get away for about five or six days maximum. Both of us have muskie fished quite a bit over the last few years but neither of us have cracked the 50" mark yet. So, we're thinking it would be best to prioritize action over size but we'd definitely like to get into some quality sized fish with maybe a chance at a really big one.

Two more important points: the boat we'd be using is a 17 foot tiller with a 40 hp, so nothing too suited for big water; and we're trying to keep costs down as both me and my buddy are recently out of college and still trying to get things figured out.

So, any thoughts on specific lakes/resorts/areas fellas? I'm really excited to finally be able to take this kind of trip and hope it will be everything I thought it would be!

Thanks,
acafisherman19
DWags
Posted 12/26/2019 7:04 AM (#951585 - in reply to #951578)
Subject: Re: First Time in Canada - July

I love these questions. As long as the boat is a deep v, you guys should be fine. LOTW fishes a lot smaller than the lake is in many parts. Lots of resorts out of Morson where you can head into sabaskong and protected smaller water. If I was going to go to LOTW and planning a trip tamarack island would get my business. For the possibility of good numbers and cracking a 50, LOTW is a good bet. There are some good numbers fisheries, little vermilion system, canyon lake, Indian chain, come to mind but a 50 is very hard to come by. Cedar/perrault has some nice fish but there are a lot of resorts on relatively small acerage to justify driving to Canada. Eagle is generally tougher to fish, but I know some guys do pretty decent number wise fishing out of century lodge on the darker section of the lake, it's worth checking out. Good luck in your research
pstrombe
Posted 12/26/2019 7:53 AM (#951590 - in reply to #951578)

Our group is going up twice this year. We will be on Wabaskang with the wives for the muskie opener and will trailer across the road to Perrault for 1/2 days without the wives than fish Skang with the wives for other 1/2 of the day. Couldn't get on Perrault for the opener. Second trip is scheduled for last week in August. We have a group of six headed back to Wabigoon. Changed resorts to a more central location so we can access more areas with shorter boat rides. Lake choice rational was numbers lake with opportunity for a larger fish.
Booch
Posted 1/30/2020 10:40 AM (#953253 - in reply to #951578)

Most "upgraded" rental boats at the resorts are 17' 40hp tillers, you'll be fine. Eagle is still near the top of my favorites list even though it has gotten tougher over the years, mainly due to the lack of weed growth. Century is one of the best places to be there, and their price shows it. Eagle Lake Island Lodge is great too because of it's location, because you have access to different water types.

Perrault and Cedar are lower on my list. Perrault is a big bowl. Cedar has fish, but is small and does get crowded. If you go to Wabigoon, make sure you prepare yourself for the chocolate milk. Some love it, but I hated it.
lloyd christmas
Posted 1/30/2020 1:36 PM (#953265 - in reply to #951578)

I would definitely vote for Lake of the woods. So many places to choose from and can really go with cost efficiency in prime locations. More fish and the size has been substantially better I think. I do go to Eagle but it can get tough not the numbers.I think Lake of the Woods would be tough to beat for your situation
mikie
Posted 1/30/2020 6:09 PM (#953285 - in reply to #953265)

Musky Hunter does a group school thing at the NW Angle, I think they use Bill Sandy's. Going with a group the first time or two has real advantages in data sharing.
Whatever you do, get a Canadian hydrographic map of your lake-of-choice, don't just rely on a GPS. GPS can be ten ft off, which may mean the difference between boating thru a channel or onto a rock pile. Always coordinate between the map and the machine. m

Edited by mikie 1/30/2020 6:10 PM
Medinah13
Posted 1/30/2020 8:48 PM (#953292 - in reply to #951578)

I have been fortunate enough to fish all over canada, and a place that I seem to always find myself is Century Lodge, on Eagle Lake. I have been going up on and off for the past 21 years since I was 13 and the experience, hospitality, and the food are second to none. We have tried other spots, but Century is the one that we keep coming back to. The area is loaded with fish lots of fish in the mid-upper 40 inch class and it seems like every trip we have been able to have the elusive 50" musky in our sights. Definitely worth a look, family owned, live the island life for a week, all meals cooked for you with musky fishing literally steps from your cabin.
WiscoMusky
Posted 1/30/2020 10:39 PM (#953296 - in reply to #953292)

I also suggest checking out Century Lodge. One great thing about that area of Eagle Lake is that it is remote, but also protected and you won’t be as effected by bad weather in comparison to the rest of the lake, especially if you are in a 17ft boat. The musky fishing is excellent, very often contacting fish, and great opportunities at numbers as quality fish as well. This will be my 10th trip to Century Lodge this August, and we consistently catch numbers of musky. Our best week between 4 guys was 34 musky, and our biggest is a 52.5 in fish caught by our friend Marty.

The accommodations are great, every cabin has a beautiful view, and a porch to relax on. The food is home made if you chose to take an American plan, and the Tyran family runs the whole program. You should really consider checking out Century Lodge if you are serious about a Canadian trip!

Edited by WiscoMusky 1/30/2020 10:41 PM
chasintails
Posted 1/31/2020 9:00 AM (#953320 - in reply to #951578)

I'd for sure be booking a trip soon regardless of where you pick, as things will be booked up quick. My pick for what your after would be Lake of the Woods.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)