Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Minn Kota Ulterra

Reply New post
Message Subject: Minn Kota Ulterra
pstrombe
Posted 12/9/2019 8:11 PM (#950774)
Subject: Minn Kota Ulterra

I'm currently running a MotorGuide X5 80# and would like to change to a Minn Kota Ulterra but have some concerns going to a drive by wire. I did have an opportunity to use a rental boat with a Terra Nova and after a couple days I had the controls down reasonably well - just had to glance at the power head every now and then if I was making slow speed adjustments.

Any one have any thoughts regarding the Ulterra regarding reliability or electrical failure etc.

Thanks
FishHateMe
Posted 12/10/2019 7:36 AM (#950784 - in reply to #950774)
Subject: Re: Minn Kota Ulterra

Bought a brand new 2025 Lund Impact this past Spring fitted with a new 112# Ulterra and i-pilot link. Ran the boat 3-4 times before my annual trip to Eagle Lake in July. Half way through the trip the motor wouldn't stow itself back in the cradle. Just kept spinning at "full mast" and I'd have to unpowered it before I feared the cord would rip out from the tension. But I it would deploy fine and work, so, when under power, I had to spend half the week driving around the lake with the trolling motor vertical about 9 feet in the air, LOL. I had the steering housing replaced under warranty and it has been perfect since. It's the greatest thing ever when working as advertised, but they're not bullet proof. Then again, what is these days...
BNelson
Posted 12/10/2019 1:19 PM (#950795 - in reply to #950774)

Terrovas don't break nearly as much as Ulterras… I have an Ulterra, and it has given me more than a few issues. I like it when it works..but I have a Terrova as a backup and wouldn't own an Ulterra and go on long trips w out a backup.
pstrombe
Posted 12/10/2019 3:38 PM (#950805 - in reply to #950774)

Not what I was hoping to hear. had to ask after seeing a number of Youtube videos critical of the Ulterra.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/10/2019 6:12 PM (#950819 - in reply to #950774)

No problems with mine or for the 3 other guys in our group that run one.
North of 8
Posted 12/10/2019 7:43 PM (#950830 - in reply to #950819)

I am looking at one and the dealer that services my boat said he had customers with issues with the first ones, but later models have been good. He did say that the more moving parts, more opportunities for problems.
7ovr50
Posted 12/11/2019 11:34 AM (#950865 - in reply to #950774)

Try the Ultrex. I've had mine 4yrs with no problems. Cable steering with battery assist! Great motor. Stears easy and can't twist cords
dbach17
Posted 12/19/2019 11:24 AM (#951342 - in reply to #950774)
Subject: RE: Minn Kota Ulterra

I got the Garmin Force this year and love it. Some don't like a wireless foot pedal, I think it's great, especially since I came from using the Xi5. I love that it's a 24v or 36v system in one, you don't have to buy a specific version so I could add a battery at any time. I fish mostly out of the back of my boat, so no wires is great. Plus, the remote has motion control. If you calibrate it correctly, it's wonderful. If someone is fishing in front of me I don't have to look at which way the motor head is pointing, I just use the remote and motion with my arm to say "go this way."

Has Garmin's best transducer on it as well, which is great if you run Garmin units or plan on it in the future. If you don't, then not what you're looking for.
North of 8
Posted 12/19/2019 12:11 PM (#951343 - in reply to #951342)

dbach17 - 12/19/2019 11:24 AM

I got the Garmin Force this year and love it. Some don't like a wireless foot pedal, I think it's great, especially since I came from using the Xi5. I love that it's a 24v or 36v system in one, you don't have to buy a specific version so I could add a battery at any time. I fish mostly out of the back of my boat, so no wires is great. Plus, the remote has motion control. If you calibrate it correctly, it's wonderful. If someone is fishing in front of me I don't have to look at which way the motor head is pointing, I just use the remote and motion with my arm to say "go this way."

Has Garmin's best transducer on it as well, which is great if you run Garmin units or plan on it in the future. If you don't, then not what you're looking for.

The Garmin does look like a very nice unit and the dealer that services my boat is a stocking dealer but is it really worth spending almost a grand more than on an Ulterra?
dbach17
Posted 12/19/2019 2:40 PM (#951345 - in reply to #951343)

If you were to look at an "apples to apples" Ulterra, this is the configuration you would get: 60" shaft, 36v system, MEGA side and down, with I-Pilot link. That costs $3,300. Garmin motor retails for $3,200. I think you can probably find some sort of deal on either. I was able to get my Garmin for $2,850.

You do get the auto deploy with the Ulterra, so that is an add benefit if you need/want that. Basically the cost is close. I love this thing so far, and paired with the Echomap Ultra they are awesome (wireless pairing, no NMEA necessary). Right now based on my personal experience with all the major brands, I would choose either Hummingbird/Minn Kota or Garmin. Personally went Garmin because of Panoptix LiveScope and couldn't be happier. High quality all around.
North of 8
Posted 12/19/2019 2:54 PM (#951346 - in reply to #951345)

dbach17 - 12/19/2019 2:40 PM

If you were to look at an "apples to apples" Ulterra, this is the configuration you would get: 60" shaft, 36v system, MEGA side and down, with I-Pilot link. That costs $3,300. Garmin motor retails for $3,200. I think you can probably find some sort of deal on either. I was able to get my Garmin for $2,850.

You do get the auto deploy with the Ulterra, so that is an add benefit if you need/want that. Basically the cost is close. I love this thing so far, and paired with the Echomap Ultra they are awesome (wireless pairing, no NMEA necessary). Right now based on my personal experience with all the major brands, I would choose either Hummingbird/Minn Kota or Garmin. Personally went Garmin because of Panoptix LiveScope and couldn't be happier. High quality all around.

The auto deploy is something that would be important to me. I will be 69 when the next soft water season opens and while I am in good physical condition, I figure the trolling motor I buy next year will be my last and maybe when I am 79 lowering or raising a trolling motor in waves will be tough.
RLSea
Posted 12/19/2019 10:32 PM (#951361 - in reply to #950774)

I'm with ya, N of 8. I have a Terrova on a quick mount and will keep it and get a mount for the Ulterra. That way on a destination trip I would have a back-up.

Edited by RLSea 12/19/2019 10:35 PM
tolle141
Posted 12/20/2019 9:32 PM (#951400 - in reply to #950774)

Ulterra came with my boat. Otherwise I would've bought an terrova. I haven't had any issues, but have seen more than a few get stuck. Terrovas are great t motors
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/21/2019 5:26 PM (#951428 - in reply to #951346)

North of 8 - 12/19/2019 2:54 PM

The auto deploy is something that would be important to me. I will be 69 when the next soft water season opens and while I am in good physical condition, I figure the trolling motor I buy next year will be my last and maybe when I am 79 lowering or raising a trolling motor in waves will be tough.

Our group runs in age from mid 50's to mid 70's. Self deploying and stowing in the wind is the reason we all have them. Dancing on the front deck bending over to grab the pull rope while bouncing in the waves wasn't working for us. At some point one of us was going to do a header overboard. I feel much,much safer in the waves now.
North of 8
Posted 12/21/2019 6:20 PM (#951431 - in reply to #951428)

Brian Hoffies - 12/21/2019 5:26 PM

North of 8 - 12/19/2019 2:54 PM

Our group runs in age from mid 50's to mid 70's. Self deploying and stowing in the wind is the reason we all have them. Dancing on the front deck bending over to grab the pull rope while bouncing in the waves wasn't working for us. At some point one of us was going to do a header overboard. I feel much,much safer in the waves now.

Thanks a lot for the input Brian. I don't fish big water but one thing that happens on the smaller lakes in the chain where I live is the wind can come up quickly and given that the lakes are shallow doesn't take long for waves to build and pulling that trolling motor up while bouncing up and down can be a bit of a balancing act. I suffered a sudden hearing loss a number of years ago and along with my hearing it impacted my balance. Lot better now than when it first occurred but I don't have the confidence in my balance I once did.
pstrombe
Posted 12/21/2019 8:33 PM (#951438 - in reply to #950774)

One of my fishing partners just beat me to the punch. Took off his new Terra Nova and bought an Ulterra. Pretty much decided I will go with the Ulterra as well. I take friends and family out fairly often and I want to give them the front seat. That along with self deploy is selling point. I'll get the US transducer and run my Lowrance Hook through the trolling motor along with the Helix in the back. Units do not interfere with each other so it works out pretty well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)