Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Sewing an edge on carpet... Company in TC metro that does this?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Sewing an edge on carpet... Company in TC metro that does this?
VMS
Posted 11/18/2019 11:13 AM (#950029)
Subject: Sewing an edge on carpet... Company in TC metro that does this?

Hi Everyone,

contemplating a recarpet job on the boat this coming spring once it is out of storage. Doors and hatches should be straight forward, but the carpet in the main portion of the boat has a sewn edge to it (fiberglass boat) to prevent fraying etc.. I would like to have this done on the new piece of carpet as well, but have no clue in the twin cities metro who might be able to handle this job. Anyone know of a company that can sew on a the edge?

It's a 2003 Ranger 617... Carpet is not horrible, but definitely showing it's wear...

Thanks
Pal
Posted 11/18/2019 11:35 AM (#950031 - in reply to #950029)
Subject: RE: Sewing an edge on carpet... Company in TC metro that does this?

Did you try Ranger directly ?

They might actually still sell the carpet for your 2003 with that sewn edge and it might be worth the cost to get an exact match. As a heads up, they might not have the exact color anymore.

I have have pretty good success getting things from them for my 2002 617 ....:-)

Pal
North of 8
Posted 11/18/2019 12:09 PM (#950034 - in reply to #950031)
Subject: Re: Sewing an edge on carpet... Company in TC metro that does this?

If you don't have any luck with Ranger, a good carpet shop should be able to help you out. What they did where I worked when installing a new carpet was not to sew an exposed edge but rather they put a matching fabric tape on the edge and it was heat sealed. It was still solid when I retired 14 years later. Not sure if it would hold up in weather but it probably would.
Pal
Posted 11/18/2019 5:23 PM (#950055 - in reply to #950034)

Forgot to mention I have swatches of the colors they had available earlier this year.

Let me know if you want to see them

Also, these guys were at the MN muskie show. I am sure they are pricier than carpet, but they might be worth a look. Pretty sure they are right here or close to the TC.

www.aquatraction.com

Pal
VMS
Posted 11/19/2019 6:42 AM (#950073 - in reply to #950029)

I looked at that aquatraction as well...some nice stuff, but I think out of my price range at this point. I'd love to do floors that have a little cushion to them and having something that is more durable than the eva foams would be great.

So...that being said, this will be a home job for me... I don't think it will be a bad job to do as most of the flooring will be hatches, but the main floor edge will be the issue.

I will follow up with Ranger, though...if they have the correct color and cut, it may be the best option, even if it is a little bit more money. Good thought there Paul...

Steve
anzomcik
Posted 11/20/2019 5:53 AM (#950137 - in reply to #950073)

Please keep us posted on your finding with ranger. I am half way interested in doing the carpet on my 617, it doesn't quite need it yet but it would defiantly be a face lift for it at the same time.
Top H2O
Posted 11/21/2019 9:31 AM (#950190 - in reply to #950137)

Just had this done on our 40 ft. Motor home... 1-8 ft. slide out, and a 32 ft. slide. It looks great. they did a very good job.
Bob's Binding...St. Louis Park area ? $3.50-$4.00 lineal ft.
Wall Crow Inc... does straight runs and outside turns, but can't do inside turns... they send this to Bob's
Tip: buy the Best carpet money can buy.
danlaboucane
Posted 11/22/2019 6:15 AM (#950242 - in reply to #950029)

there is molding some use that looks good , i will probably do that on mine since the carpet has a few years in it still but no edge on it
Mark Hoerich
Posted 11/22/2019 8:32 AM (#950249 - in reply to #950190)

Top H2O - 11/21/2019 9:31 AM

Just had this done on our 40 ft. Motor home... 1-8 ft. slide out, and a 32 ft. slide. It looks great. they did a very good job.
Bob's Binding...St. Louis Park area ? $3.50-$4.00 lineal ft.
Wall Crow Inc... does straight runs and outside turns, but can't do inside turns... they send this to Bob's
Tip: buy the Best carpet money can buy.

Hi Guys. Yes, this is correct. Take the un-edged carpet to a reputable carpet shop....they will ask if you need binding, or surging. Binding is done with cloth sewn to the edge. Surging is very tight stitching on the edge with heavy cord. Surging is usually more expensive. Both work very well with unfinished edges of carpet area rugs.
Nothing looks worse than fraying carpet edges, which eventually will ruin the carpet.
VMS
Posted 12/5/2019 9:40 AM (#950611 - in reply to #950029)

Hiya!!

Quick update on findings... Ranger has the pre-cut and bound carpet for the main floor. Price as I understand right now was $145 which I thought was pretty darn good for bound edges and pre-cut. The color for mine is just a touch different, but no big deal there so long as it all matches. The cost of the carpet on it's own was $12.15 a square foot. With the bound main floor being the cheapest part of the whole process, this might not be the best route to go as the cost for the carpet alone is significantly higher than purchasing through a reputable carpet company locally.

I also have been contemplating adding a foam underlayment for the front and rear decks like some bass boats have, and this would come from a company called Pro-tech mats industries. Have not heard back on price yet, but being I wouldn't be doing the entire main floor, would be a little extra cost, but a very welcome addition.

I also asked ranger if there was any sort of leveling agent I could use on the main floor as I have some slightly lower spots which makes vacuuming and steam cleaning a little tougher. Spots are solid as can be so I think this is just how the boat comes out of the form.

Thinking I might be able to do the recarpet under $500 on my own while padding the front and rear decks. The wife will really like the softer feel while she relaxes and reads on the rear deck.

Steve

Edited by VMS 12/6/2019 6:48 AM
Pal
Posted 12/7/2019 1:45 PM (#950719 - in reply to #950611)

Update on the Aquatraction, as I ran into them at the St Paul Ice show today.

They indicted it would be about 650 - 700 to do the main floor back floor of my 617. They will come to my house and do it, but I must remove the old one first.

Here is the skinny, and that is there is not a good way to do the front deck with the hatches, or he back deck with hatches due to the corners.

Kind of a bummer as I like the look and feel, but would want to do the whole boat the same when it comes time.

Pal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)