Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW south side ice fishing

Message Subject: LOTW south side ice fishing
Fish4muskie
Posted 11/13/2019 1:28 PM (#949829)
Subject: LOTW south side ice fishing

Wasn’t sure if I should even post considering this isn’t a Muskie ??
I’ve never ice fished. I’m not a walleye fisherman normally. I rarely fish for anything but Muskie/Pike/Bass. I’m going in late January to a resort on the Minnesota side of LOTW to ice fish for walleye/perch or whatever.

I was just curious if anyone had any input on some tackle/tips/advice in general? I want to hopefully catch a few in the couple day trip. Bragging rights over a couple young guys (who are already “talking”) would be an added bonus!! Ha !

Thanks for any input it is greatly appreciated
sworrall
Posted 11/13/2019 1:48 PM (#949830 - in reply to #949829)
Subject: Re: LOTW south side ice fishing

Which resort? We do that a lot, it's a ton of fun. Jigs in purple and gold, a dead stick with a good hook and minnow, and a sonar and you are set.
VMS
Posted 11/14/2019 6:56 AM (#949861 - in reply to #949830)

Hiya,

I have had particularly good luck with jigging using what is called the stop sign.

http://www.jrstackle.com/the-stop-sign/

They make a couple of sizes and I have had good luck on pink and gold, glow for dusk.

pinch off the head of a fathead and put on your treble, and you'll get bit. A dead stick as Steve Worrall mentioned as well and it will be a fun and active day for the most part. Fish come through regularly so although you will have some times during the day where it will be slower, it is not very long at all...

If you are renting a shack, you can dress lightly for the most part, but heavier boots wil be good as the floors do stay colder. Bring your snacks, your rods and locator and you will be good to go... you will have a good time!!

Purple and gold... I've not ever tried that color. One more for the list to get in the box...

Steve
Kirby Budrow
Posted 11/14/2019 9:31 AM (#949874 - in reply to #949829)

Easy. You should have flasher but use a buckshot jig tipped with a minnow head. Chubs work fine. Then use a bobber on your second line with a single hook and a river shiner. You’ll catch more than a few.
RJ_692
Posted 11/14/2019 9:42 AM (#949875 - in reply to #949829)

Flasher, chubby darter on a jig rod & a plain hook / split shot / minnow on a dead stick. maybe spoons w/ heads if need be. pinks and gold are usually a good bet, silvers and whites if its really sunny. Will likely be in 30 ft + by that time of year.

Chase EVERY mark on flasher regardless of how far off the bottom.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/16/2019 7:53 AM (#949960 - in reply to #949829)

Attracted to Purple & Gold, Walleyes are clearly Viking fans. Leave the Bear gear at home.
Fish4muskie
Posted 12/1/2019 10:46 AM (#950481 - in reply to #949830)

Ken Mar Ke is the resort. Renting shack/vexilar etc from them. Thank you guys for the feedback.

Edited by Fish4muskie 12/3/2019 6:13 AM
happy hooker
Posted 12/18/2019 2:25 PM (#951295 - in reply to #950481)

If you can find what's called river shiners,,instead of fatheads,,you will catch A LOT more fish,,they used to have them at the first bait shop has you come into baudette
BassThumb
Posted 12/18/2019 2:52 PM (#951297 - in reply to #949829)

Lots of good stuff laid out in here already.

Small spoons with red, pink, and gold are what I've had my best luck on. I also routinely try small jigging baits like Rippin Raps, Slab Raps, etc.

Unfortunately, the average size fish on LOTW is really small. The place is jammed with 12-14" fish. If you get tired of pulling up dinky walleye and sauger, don't be afraid to try shallow water on the first break during the last hour of the day. Some HUGE walleyes and pike will pass through. This might not pertain to this trip, but for future reference.

Lots of fish are suspended at certain times. Mostly they're riding the bottom, but some of my best catches were suspended half-way up. Those suspenders tend to be larger fish.

It's a sun-up to sun-down bite. LOTW is infamous for being a Dead Sea after dark for reasons I cannot understand.

happy hooker
Posted 12/18/2019 3:04 PM (#951298 - in reply to #951297)

If your in a sleeper fish house we used to have fun at night by each person throwing in $5 into a bowl,,putting down rattle reels or a tip up inside and the guy who catches the biggest eell pout before sun up wins the pot.pretty good payout it you've got a group of guys. Three dead minnows on a hook was deadly on pout.

Edited by happy hooker 12/18/2019 3:07 PM
phselect
Posted 12/19/2019 9:37 AM (#951327 - in reply to #951298)

happy hooker - 12/18/2019 3:04 PM

If your in a sleeper fish house we used to have fun at night by each person throwing in $5 into a bowl,,putting down rattle reels or a tip up inside and the guy who catches the biggest eell pout before sun up wins the pot.pretty good payout it you've got a group of guys. Three dead minnows on a hook was deadly on pout.

We used to do the exact same thing! Caught some honker pout back in the day.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)