Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Mercury Big Tiller

Reply New post
Message Subject: Mercury Big Tiller
spoonpluggergino
Posted 11/5/2019 3:11 AM (#949439)
Subject: Mercury Big Tiller

I have a 2100 Tuffy Osprey with a 200 Verado Big Tiller Hydraulic Engine steering and while I was on Eagle lake Canada my Big tiller failed and I could not steer the boat, luckily I have a 15 H P kicker to get me back to the resort

In the Big Tiller Operation Manual Page 13 second paragraph it says
The power Steering System Has a Manual Steering Override
My Verado does not have it, Does any one knows about this Manual Override
Had to come home a week earlier, it pretty much ruined my trip
Gino

Edited by spoonpluggergino 11/5/2019 3:14 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Big Tiller.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Big Tiller.jpg (84KB - 462 downloads)
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/5/2019 6:34 AM (#949451 - in reply to #949439)
Subject: Re: Mercury Big Tiller

Call Rich at Hennepin Marine.
815-925-7216
undersized
Posted 11/5/2019 8:19 AM (#949464 - in reply to #949439)

Did you find out what caused it? I blew my battery isolator on Lac Suel this year, which meant the house battery (which powers the steering) wasn't getting charged and toward the end of the day I'd lose steering. It was still possible to steer, just a lot harder.
I've got a Verado as well, and it would be good to know about an override if the steering were ever to go out again.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 11/5/2019 8:47 AM (#949468 - in reply to #949464)

Battery was not fully charged
The manual says that should be a manual override and actually all you need two fitting and a stop valve installed at each end of the hydraulic piston and open stop valve to equalize pressure on hydraulic cylinder
I actually rewired the two batteries so electrically I can run the steer from the starting battery and another switch to isolate the steer battery, very easy to do
undersized
Posted 11/5/2019 12:39 PM (#949477 - in reply to #949468)

Battery was not fully charged
The manual says that should be a manual override and actually all you need two fitting and a stop valve installed at each end of the hydraulic piston and open stop valve to equalize pressure on hydraulic cylinder
I actually rewired the two batteries so electrically I can run the steer from the starting battery and another switch to isolate the steer battery, very easy to do

Yeah, if I'd known at the time the problem was the blown isolator preventing both starting and house battery from charging I just would have run everything direct to the starting battery and skipped the isolator...
spoonpluggergino
Posted 11/5/2019 12:39 PM (#949478 - in reply to #949464)

talked to Mercury consumer affairs and they said there is no such thing as Manual Override, in other words the manual is wrong, I feel that Mercury is misleading the consumers and this is a problem that should be addressed by Mercury Big Tiller people
Not Happy
Here is their number
Mercury Consumer Affairs 920-929-5040
I will post the manual references
undersized
Posted 11/5/2019 12:45 PM (#949480 - in reply to #949478)

...in other words the manual is wrong, I feel that Mercury is misleading the consumers...

Maybe it's meant to be a technician-only option in order to relieve the pressure when working on it, etc. with power disconnected? Ie., they don't want end users doing it?

There really should be a better way for the user to turn the motor without actually cranking it up...the old Merten's systems had steering power without needing the motor to be running.
Pal
Posted 11/5/2019 5:35 PM (#949483 - in reply to #949480)

undersized - 11/5/2019 12:45 PM

...in other words the manual is wrong, I feel that Mercury is misleading the consumers...

Maybe it's meant to be a technician-only option in order to relieve the pressure when working on it, etc. with power disconnected? Ie., they don't want end users doing it?

There really should be a better way for the user to turn the motor without actually cranking it up...the old Merten's systems had steering power without needing the motor to be running.

Mercury bought Merten's, and then changed it to meet their business needs. You must have power to run the steering. There are a couple other options, but for a Mercury, this is the best one available to my knowledge, you just must be set up to power the beast ...

Pal
spoonpluggergino
Posted 11/5/2019 5:45 PM (#949484 - in reply to #949439)

I had Mertens on my 20 foot Yar-Craft, no problems
I am glad I have a 15HP kicker
undersized
Posted 11/6/2019 11:01 AM (#949495 - in reply to #949483)

Pal - 11/5/2019 5:35 PM
Mercury bought Merten's, and then changed it to meet their business needs. You must have power to run the steering. There are a couple other options, but for a Mercury, this is the best one available to my knowledge, you just must be set up to power the beast ...

I also had a Merten's system in the past and now have a Merc Big Tiller, so, yeah.
Obviously power is needed for the pump to push the motor, one of the big differences is that the Merten's only needed the electric power turned on, whereas the Merc needs the motor to actually be running, which is a PIA when you want to turn the motor on your trailer. I'm confident there's some reason for it, but I'm not convinced that it couldn't be engineered differently...

undersized
Posted 11/6/2019 3:45 PM (#949503 - in reply to #949439)

The 10:30 point of this video on the new Evirnude sytem is of particular interest.
https://youtu.be/x6FYYK5EVGk

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)