Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Flowage Fishing

Message Subject: Flowage Fishing
obsessed_angler
Posted 6/12/2018 11:59 AM (#909751)
Subject: Flowage Fishing

My grandparents have a cabin that is approximately a 40 minute drive from the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage. I have never fished a flowage before but would like to give it a try someday. From the photos I have seen and from what guys have told me, fishing the Turtle gives you the feel like you are fishing in Canada.
I do have some concerns.
The size is a little intimidating. At 13,000 acres I would be a little concerned with getting lost. I do not have a GPS on my boat, but I do have a handheld GPS that should help.
Being I have no experience with flowage I am be a little concerned with hitting rocks or stumps. Water levels would affect this I assume.
I would like any information or advice about getting started with flowage fishing. My thought is I could start out fishing close to the launch, driving slow and keeping the motor trimmed fairly high. Also making sure the weather report doesn't include any wind that could make navigation difficult.
Let me know what you guys think
Sam
Softwater
Posted 6/12/2018 1:10 PM (#909754 - in reply to #909751)
Subject: RE: Flowage Fishing

It's a gorgeous body of water as you've read. Like Canada? I couldn't comment as I've never fished there. Paper maps are an excellent reference, just go slow. Launch, work a shoreline or follow the original river channels while you've got plenty of light, and work your way back to the landings as the afternoon wears on so you don't have far to go as it gets dark.

Or, as many will I'm sure chime in...Hire a guide. There are many postings here & also in a quick Google search about area guides, and am sure you can learn more about the flowage in one day fishing with one than putting around like I've done.

A GPS is awesome, but IMO not mandatory if you keep an eye out for where you are, and don't go crazy traveling, or insist on traveling fast or during low-light times.

Enjoy the experience.

Don

Edited by Softwater 6/12/2018 1:12 PM
muskidiem
Posted 6/12/2018 2:20 PM (#909761 - in reply to #909751)
Subject: RE: Flowage Fishing

I have a relative that is on the flowage, and I was only there one weekend. Struck me as very intimidating as well, but after I explored with a guy who had been there on yearly trips it became much more navigable. Maps are a necessity for me. After hitting some spots I was driving the boat around without issue, but glad I had the guy along for reference. Had the same experience on a flowage that looks like a minefield on a map, but once you know it you don't even need the graph. Fish new water in chunks, and once you know an area you expand to a new part.

Edited by muskidiem 6/12/2018 2:23 PM
BretRobert1
Posted 6/12/2018 11:34 PM (#909828 - in reply to #909751)
Subject: Re: Flowage Fishing

I'd highly recommend GPS when learning the TFF. If you start fishing it, you'll notice that there are giant stumps in sections of the lake that people fly by year round-that only show themselves when the water is way down--like in the real late fall. I think a lot of people that fish the Flowage would be surprised with what's underneath some of their "safe" travel routes if they fished just before ice-up out there. A couple areas that really stand out w/ seasonal hidden hazards are near the eastbound bend heading north before Pink Rock (in 15-17 ft of water) & a section from the dam heading NE to Baraboo (12-15 FOW).

You can navigate safely without a GPS, doing what you said--playing it safe, but I think you'd jump ahead on the learning curve a lot faster with GPS. At the very least, you should consider buying the Navionics smartphone app. It's like $10 or $12. But honestly, if you're not utilizing GPS/sonar/side imaging on the Flowage-which doesn't have a whole lot of weeds/cabbage when compared to other N. Wisconsin bodies of water, you're just not putting the percentages in your favor.

As far as comparing the TFF to Canada; there are sections that are very remote (state owned/no houses)that are littered with trees and incredibly scenic. But there's just something about the Canadian shield and rock walls that's missing to fairly compare it to Canada.

You're right, the Flowage is a big BOW (especially for N. Wisconsin standards). But if you break it down into sections, piece seasonal/biological patterns together and keep venturing around as you gain comfort, you'll unlock a lot relatively quickly.

I grew up fishing a lot of puddles where I could hit the two or three main rock bars, points or weed beds and go back and hit them some more at peak times. The great thing about the TFF is that I find myself always learning something new & that's probably something you're not going to do as much on most sub 1000 acre lakes.

obsessed_angler
Posted 6/13/2018 6:19 AM (#909835 - in reply to #909751)

Found this link on WDNR website in regards to water level.
https://www.xcelenergy.com/energy_portfolio/electricity/hydro_level_...
Can anyone explain what I'm looking at?
jonnysled
Posted 6/13/2018 6:51 AM (#909841 - in reply to #909835)

know the channel, especially where it turns ... mark them in detail with your GPS. it's an underwater highway with lots of rest areas and the fish all relate to it. so does the structure (stumps, weeds etc...) and the food sources.
ToddM
Posted 6/13/2018 7:23 AM (#909842 - in reply to #909751)

It is beautiful. As stated break it down to a section. Go slow. Just know if you are in 5ft or less water there can be stumps. These are giant stumps too. Use your head. There are sections less complicated, i fished out of deadhorse lodge and that section was easy to navigate. As stated, get a map. Lots og good info given in previous posts.

Edited by ToddM 6/13/2018 7:24 AM
ToddC
Posted 6/13/2018 7:54 AM (#909847 - in reply to #909751)

Some good info here. I would agree with Sled, find the channel and locate structure close by. Big fish like to have deep water nearby. Also get a good map and look at the old lakes that encompass the flowage. Find structure within those lake beds close to the deep water. A great body of water! Let us know how you do.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)