Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Performace of Max Toro and MH rod for Muskie

Message Subject: Performace of Max Toro and MH rod for Muskie
bbmogul
Posted 4/18/2018 3:55 PM (#903974)
Subject: Performace of Max Toro and MH rod for Muskie

I currently own an Abu Garcia Max Toro Baitcaster and a St. Croix Triumph Muskie Rod. I just pulled the trigger on another of each. I debated on getting a Heavy rod in the 7'6" length but opted on getting two Medium Heavys in the 7 foot range. I've seen some people who use Heavy rods for Muskie, so what's really the deciding factor for you guys? I'm getting my tax money back soon and i might just order me a couple Heavy rods too. My current setup does pretty good, or so i would think. But then again i dont throw anything that weighs 8 ounces or more. But I'm not sure how important that is? Overall I'm happy with the Max Toro, but i dont know anybody else around here who owns them. I'm also torn in regards to the Mojo Muskie rods, and wonder how they would compare to the Triumph Muskie rods. Those who Muskie fish around here don't use St.Croix, so i can't really ask. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what gear you use and how you like it!
14ledo81
Posted 4/18/2018 4:44 PM (#903978 - in reply to #903974)
Subject: Re: Performace of Max Toro and MH rod for Muskie

I typically match the lure weight rating of the rod to the lures I am throwing. Heavier lures, heavier rod.

By the way, I also have a Maxtoro, and I like it very much.

One more thing, you may want to try a longer rod. Now that all my rods are 8'6" or 9' (except for a 7'6" jerkbait rod), I would never go back.
sworrall
Posted 4/18/2018 5:25 PM (#903985 - in reply to #903974)

The MaxToro is an excellent all around reel.
bbmogul
Posted 4/18/2018 5:31 PM (#903986 - in reply to #903978)

14ledo81 - 4/18/2018 4:44 PM

I typically match the lure weight rating of the rod to the lures I am throwing. Heavier lures, heavier rod.

By the way, I also have a Maxtoro, and I like it very much.

One more thing, you may want to try a longer rod. Now that all my rods are 8'6" or 9' (except for a 7'6" jerkbait rod), I would never go back.

Do you think a 7'6" would be too short? I've contemplated getting a longer rod. I got stuck on 7'0" rods since that's what i use for Catfish. As dumb as this sounds I have a 6.5 foot bed and i dont know how i would manage putting an 8'6" rod in the back of it, lol.
The triumph rod in mh that i have is rated for 3/4 to 3 ounces. The 7'6" Heavy Mojo Musky rod is rated for 2-6 ounces. Personally that seems to give you the most flexibility. So would the Max Toro pair good with the 7'6" mojo musky Heavy? Or would 7'6" be too short?
Tommis
Posted 4/18/2018 6:40 PM (#903993 - in reply to #903974)

MaxToro is a superb reel for the price. I beat the hell out of mine last season and it never missed a step.

I will echo what was said before. I used to be intimidated by the long rods. Once I tried them, I can't picture going shorter than 8ft, other than my jerk rod.

The mojo muskie line is another bang for your buck deal and I think if you'd pair a MaxToro with the heavy power 8ft, you'd be very happy.

What truck are you in? With my RAM 1500 crew can, I can fit (tightly) a 9ft rod from corner to corner in the cab itself. My old frontier crew cab could just squeeze in an 8 footer using the same method. I ended up making a rod carrier out of 4" pvc that I ratchet strapped to the roof rack on the frontier. Worked flawlessly.
TCESOX
Posted 4/18/2018 6:49 PM (#903995 - in reply to #903974)

You could also go with 8'6" telescoping rods. Okuma, Shimano, and Tackle Industries, all have telescoping rods. They generally will go at least 18" into the handle, which makes them only 7'. There is no "too short", it's just what may be better. Casting distance and figure 8s, are greatly enhanced with the longer rods. As was mentioned above, MH, H, or XH, are more a matter of lures being thrown.
bbmogul
Posted 4/18/2018 6:59 PM (#903997 - in reply to #903993)

Tommis - 4/18/2018 6:40 PM

MaxToro is a superb reel for the price. I beat the hell out of mine last season and it never missed a step.

I will echo what was said before. I used to be intimidated by the long rods. Once I tried them, I can't picture going shorter than 8ft, other than my jerk rod.

The mojo muskie line is another bang for your buck deal and I think if you'd pair a MaxToro with the heavy power 8ft, you'd be very happy.

What truck are you in? With my RAM 1500 crew can, I can fit (tightly) a 9ft rod from corner to corner in the cab itself. My old frontier crew cab could just squeeze in an 8 footer using the same method. I ended up making a rod carrier out of 4" pvc that I ratchet strapped to the roof rack on the frontier. Worked flawlessly.

I'm glad to hear that about the MaxToro, it's just a sexy looking reel. And I'm drive a GMC Sierra 1500. I may have to give the 8'0" a try afterall. Idk if i should order just one Mojo Musky 8'0" heavy, or just pull the trigger and order both of them! I think the Heavy gives you the most flexibility as far as lures go. I can definitely see, though, how MH does amazing for Catfish. Although it was a shocker going from 25 pound mono to 80 pound braid, lol. My 6500 C3's do well for Catfishing, but they struggled for Muskie which was why i upgraded
Tommis
Posted 4/18/2018 7:05 PM (#903998 - in reply to #903974)

When the water temps get too high for my comfort in fishing muskie, all you'll catch me doing is hinting those flathead...

Telescopic rods are great too and most will be budget friendly as well. I love my tackle industries telescopic rods. They saved my butt by saving space.

If you intend on purchasing from a brick and mortar, I'd ask the sales guy if you can see if it'll fit. Even if this is an online purchase, I'd do the same as above. Can't be too cautious, just don't try to drive off after seeing if it fits
bbmogul
Posted 4/18/2018 10:28 PM (#904031 - in reply to #903974)

You guys are absolutely killing me, lol. I just ordered the 8'0" Heavy St. Croix Mojo Musky!
tkuntz
Posted 4/19/2018 9:26 AM (#904072 - in reply to #904031)

bbmogul - 4/18/2018 10:28 PM

You guys are absolutely killing me, lol. I just ordered the 8'0" Heavy St. Croix Mojo Musky!

I've used this exact rod for 3 years now as a jerkbait stick. It has treated me very well, you won't be disappointed.
bbmogul
Posted 4/24/2018 3:46 PM (#904806 - in reply to #904072)

tkuntz - 4/19/2018 9:26 AM

I've used this exact rod for 3 years now as a jerkbait stick. It has treated me very well, you won't be disappointed.

Well my rod finally came in. Quickly put my new Max Toro with 80 pound braid on it and boy does it look beautiful. 8 foot heavy. I'm already in live with it. Hopefully I'll be able to put some casts through it tonight after work!
14ledo81
Posted 4/24/2018 3:58 PM (#904809 - in reply to #904806)

bbmogul - 4/24/2018 3:46 PM

Well my rod finally came in. Quickly put my new Max Toro with 80 pound braid on it and boy does it look beautiful. 8 foot heavy. I'm already in live with it. Hopefully I'll be able to put some casts through it tonight after work!

Awesome!! I think you will really like that MaxToro.
bbmogul
Posted 4/24/2018 5:33 PM (#904822 - in reply to #904809)

14ledo81 - 4/24/2018 3:58 PM

bbmogul - 4/24/2018 3:46 PM

Awesome!! I think you will really like that MaxToro.

Absolutely. I enjoyed the MaxToro a lot with my St. Croix Triumph Muskie rod, i can only imagine how it is with the Mojo Muskie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)