Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> polarized sunglasses

Message Subject: polarized sunglasses
PurpleBuck8
Posted 3/27/2018 8:57 AM (#900213)
Subject: polarized sunglasses

What brand of polarized sunglasses do you guys prefer? Glass or plastic? I bought a pair of glass Costas a couple years ago and managed to crack the lenses twice after simply wearing them for a day each time. Having to send them in for repair and get them shipped back is a pain and takes too long. Anyone else ever have this problem?
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/27/2018 9:35 AM (#900216 - in reply to #900213)
Subject: Re: polarized sunglasses

I like my Nike Fly sunglasses. Pretty decent lenses. Mine are Rx lenses, though.
BNelson
Posted 3/27/2018 9:37 AM (#900217 - in reply to #900213)

I'd imagine you did more that just wear them a day or 2 to crack them? I have a pair of glass Costas going on 7 or 8 yrs, no issues... Costas are some of the best out there... you'll get lots of opinions on polarized lenses, ends up being a Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate.
PurpleBuck8
Posted 3/27/2018 10:18 AM (#900222 - in reply to #900217)

I think the initial problem was that I bought a pair with large frames and they were too small. They seem to run small as I don’t think I have a big head. Costa suggested that I try XL frames so they sent me a new pair of hammerheads. Then the frames broke again and I sent them in a 2nd time and they claimed that the lenses were not cut to the proper specs. They replaced them again and I haven’t had a problem since. Maybe this was just my bad experience/luck. Customer service at Costa was great but you can see why I am hesitant buying another pair.
southern comfort
Posted 3/27/2018 10:25 AM (#900224 - in reply to #900213)

I have several pair of Costas with glass lenes. I have had them for years with no issues whatsoever. I have had the opportunity to compare them with others and rate them as the best for me.
RyanJoz
Posted 3/27/2018 10:55 AM (#900225 - in reply to #900224)

I have great luck with Oakley Flak Jacket XL's. To me, I can see everything I need to and they are the most comfortable glasses I have ever worn. Dad echoes my comments about the comfort. I have worn Costas before, but they were not as comfortable as the Oakley glasses to me. We both have wide faces and the costas we tried were too narrow.
NPike
Posted 3/27/2018 11:18 AM (#900228 - in reply to #900213)
Subject: RE: polarized sunglasses

I bought a great pair at Walmart, only $25.
UglyPike
Posted 3/27/2018 12:07 PM (#900231 - in reply to #900213)

my costas are awesome and flawless after a few years. If I didnt have costas Id get Maui Jims. Their polarization is maybe the best on the market.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 3/27/2018 12:16 PM (#900233 - in reply to #900213)

Just picked up my 7th pair of Costas, I've had them all from Maui Jim, Smith.. Oakley, Costas seem to fit me right and have outstanding Polarization. Love wearing glasses so good you forget their on your face.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/27/2018 12:56 PM (#900241 - in reply to #900213)

Yup cant really beat Costa's on my 2nd pair. of Glass Have also been taken care of by their repair department.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/27/2018 2:54 PM (#900257 - in reply to #900213)

Going on 15 years with my Costas. Had to have the arms (arms?) replaced on one pair because the rubber started to crack. Have a bit of lens separation on the other pair that I haven't bothered to get fixed because I can't see it when I have them on.

More importantly than that they are the only glasses of any sort that I can wear for 8-10 hours and still be comfortable in them.

Samantha is going on 9 years with hers, one glass and one poly. The poly carbonate lenses are scratched up pretty good, but that's only because she tosses them in her purse with all of her keys and #*#*.
Sidejack
Posted 3/27/2018 3:38 PM (#900262 - in reply to #900257)

I ran the "name brand" mentioned above and other even more spendy ones for years until I began needing corrective lenses. Went to a quality glasses place (i go to SEE Optical) picked out some frames, ordered polarized lenses (green hue), anti-glare on the inside, and haven't looked back. My prescription is minimal and fer clarifying things at a distance but i started gettin headaches while driving so i bit the bullet and went in. I have a couple prescription pair now and they're much better (better depth, colour & definition) than the name brands I still have in my opinion. Others never believe me until they compare um to theirs and my old ones on the water. Their first reaction is to clean theirs and compare again and again. My prescription doesn't come into play until they look up at the horizon. Don't take my werd fer it though, feel free to a good quality glasses place locally and save yerself the $. They can even build readers into them fer tyin double palomars if yer so inclined. Glass is glass and coatings are coatings. Also, for those that don't know, EyeMed benefits can be used for regular sunglass purchases.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/27/2018 4:40 PM (#900271 - in reply to #900262)

I have Maui Jim's with Glass lenses. They are great- best I have tried. I've beat the snot out of them never had a issue.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
bbeaupre
Posted 3/27/2018 5:05 PM (#900272 - in reply to #900213)

I love maui jim glasses. I have brown and black lenses, brown work best for all water but are not tinted as much as I like for real bright days. black lenses are still nicer than every other brand ive owned and block sun much bette on bright days. Its amazing how many follows I point out to my fishing buddies that they never see.
kapcoleo
Posted 3/27/2018 5:09 PM (#900273 - in reply to #900213)

When you get old and have to wear prescriptions all of the time and don't want to spend the money to buy polarized prescriptions, your choices are limited to those that will slip over your regular glasses. Major brands don't work over the top. What do others do?
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/27/2018 5:18 PM (#900274 - in reply to #900273)

kapcoleo - 3/27/2018 6:09 PM

When you get old and have to wear prescriptions all of the time and don't want to spend the money to buy polarized prescriptions, your choices are limited to those that will slip over your regular glasses. Major brands don't work over the top. What do others do?

I am only 25 but I have very bad eyes. Dont like contacts. I suck it up and buy prescription shades... www.framesdirect.com is a good option.. they are running a 50% off Rx lens sale i think until tomorrow!! My Nike Fly's are on sale for like $50 from $100, then you can get a Polarized, anti glare RX lens for like $120 right now... thats absurdly cheap.

Another cheap option. You wont get polarized or anything fancy.. but you can go to www.39dollarglasses.com and get a knockoff pair of frames with prescription lenses for like $48 total. Dirt cheap. I did this in high school. Way better then squinting!!

Edited by JakeStCroixSkis 3/27/2018 5:20 PM
7ovr50
Posted 3/27/2018 8:00 PM (#900298 - in reply to #900213)

Glass Costa 580 lens period! I've got 3 pair. Aint none better IMO!!
Ciscokid82
Posted 3/27/2018 9:12 PM (#900313 - in reply to #900213)

Costa has GREAT customer service if you need it. My opinion, go glass over poly, and get a neck carabiner so they don’t go overboard.
UglyPike
Posted 3/27/2018 9:14 PM (#900314 - in reply to #900233)

Gander Mt Guide - 3/27/2018 12:16 PM

Just picked up my 7th pair of Costas, I've had them all from Maui Jim, Smith.. Oakley, Costas seem to fit me right and have outstanding Polarization. Love wearing glasses so good you forget their on your face.

Yep for sure. Thats really what I love about my Costas. They are 100% comfortable and when Im not using them I can pop them around my neck and not worry about them slipping off. Well built.
Brian7488
Posted 3/28/2018 5:25 AM (#900322 - in reply to #900213)

If you have a frame that you like and want to replace just the lenses, check out fuselenses.com or revantoptics.com. I've ordered from both and have been happy with the quality. I think both offer rx lenses as well.
T3clay
Posted 3/28/2018 7:47 AM (#900333 - in reply to #900213)

Smith's are great and absolutely unbelievable customer service
wisriverrat
Posted 3/28/2018 7:30 PM (#900421 - in reply to #900213)

I just replaced my Ocean Wave sunglasses after 17 years with a pair of Costas
BNelson
Posted 3/29/2018 8:47 AM (#900476 - in reply to #900213)

I know I have posted this a few times but for low light and cloudy days, I have a pair of H30's with the Polar Clear lense... amazing! only $35 (buy the frame and lenses seperately from their parts page)...I find I wear them about 50% of the season...many of my friends have tried them and bought them too...
T3clay
Posted 3/29/2018 8:57 AM (#900477 - in reply to #900213)

Brad those are clear polarized glasses? Where do you get them?
BNelson
Posted 3/29/2018 9:24 AM (#900480 - in reply to #900477)

https://www.h3opolarized.com/store/c5/H3O_Replacement_Parts.html
EthanPayne
Posted 8/15/2020 7:52 AM (#965321 - in reply to #900213)

I never get it why people spend too much money on something like a watch or sunglasses. You can get those for cheap and they look really good too. If you search a little bit you can find stylish sunglasses for men at much better prices. Not everyone can buy those expensive ones and to have an option to buy really good glasses for around 30 bucks is great. You have some classic looks there and you can find something for yourself for sure. I have the Black Tide model and they look better than the more expensive ones.
jdsplasher
Posted 8/16/2020 10:14 PM (#965385 - in reply to #965321)

EthanPayne - 8/15/2020 7:52 AM I never get it why people spend too much money on something like a watch or sunglasses. You can get those for cheap and they look really good too. If you search a little bit you can find stylish sunglasses for men at much better prices. Not everyone can buy those expensive ones and to have an option to buy really good glasses for around 30 bucks is great. You have some classic looks there and you can find something for yourself for sure. I have the Black Tide model and they look better than the more expensive ones.

My suggestion would be to go talk to a Professional Who sells hi-end Sun eyewear. The advantages R  Huge, + and as you age, those cheap $30 glasses may just cost you big time eye problems, due to the lack of UV Protection, anti glare and Polarized Filtering. Eyes R 1 of your most Important Senses. Do You really want to Cheap Out on Them!!!

It’s Pay me now, or pay me Later. You Don’t want the Latter!!!

JD

RJ_692
Posted 8/17/2020 8:14 AM (#965391 - in reply to #900213)

i recently got a pair of Oakley Split shot with Rx lenses. They are nice and fit with a hat pulled down.

I think any of the major brands are making good stuff now.

I think its most important to understand what the different lens colors and coatings do for you. it makes a huge difference in what see and when. there is a HUGE difference in light transmission levels and different coating reflect different parts of the light. Grays vs Copper, blue prisms vs green, etc...know all that before you buy it makes a difference. I personally went with a copper tint with a tungsten prism coating...its great for highlighting greens. Its good for mornings and evenings but on real bright mid days a gray lens with blue prism would definitely knock down some light transmission.

Glass is popular of course for its clarity, but Trivex is really good and is WAY better during impacts. I personally went the Trivex route for the impact resistance.

And as for cost, i had my last pair of Oakley's for 10 years. Rx sunglasses are expensive and its amazing how well you tend to keep track of them. I think its easily some of the best money you can spend.
Mojo1269
Posted 8/17/2020 9:16 AM (#965395 - in reply to #900213)

Historically I have had Costa's. I own several pairs and have had minimal issues with any of them and I have been beyond satisfied with them. Recently I got a pair of prescription Maui Jim's because Costa is not in my Vision Benefits network and they are every bit as good as my Costa's. Not sure why your luck has been bad with Costa but as most have chimed in yours seems to be a unique story.
zombietrolling
Posted 8/23/2020 3:05 PM (#965538 - in reply to #900213)

I've been using H30 Rage Anlger glasses for years. I use them everyday on and off the boat and take years abuse before the rubber nose pieces fell off and they are just as comfortable without them. They come with a few different color lenses to switch out depending on light conditions but I generally stay with the ambers since they work so well even in lowlight conditions.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)