Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Braided Line

Message Subject: Braided Line
ToddM
Posted 3/1/2018 5:53 PM (#894648 - in reply to #892674)
Subject: Re: Braided Line

Superbraid does not rot like the old dacron line. I cut the frayed part off and retie. Takes along time to vet down on the spool. If i want i can always add more backing. Some great discussion here.
NPike
Posted 3/1/2018 9:29 PM (#894687 - in reply to #894182)
Subject: RE: Braided Line

Used x2 uni-knot for +20 years. Never had it break at the knot yet
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 3/2/2018 9:31 AM (#894735 - in reply to #894640)

if "a guy" is saying he is routinely (not just a an isolated bad tie) is getting only 55% out of a properly tied uni then his machine is off, or has line that is breaking below its stated strength for what ever reason, or the knot was not tied with the proper number of wraps needed and or not wetted or greased on draw down. the uni as well as the FG routinely breaks at much higher.... when properly tied...and that is where the problem and variances with any knot lays.
that puts you at 40-60# depending on # of lines/leader being used and im assuming we are refering to 65-100# braid and 80-130# floro or mono. even if you would/could break a line at these lower achieved weights while muskie fishing (not yanking and pulling on a snag but a fighting moving fish) then you got other issues in your equip. and lines to check out.
now saltwater and a giant speedy fish hitting a bait at 7-15 knots,turning and going the other way at break neck speed and maybe a bit to tight or a sticky drag... diff story. also the uni is not a great knot for speed trolling as it is not always a "straight" knot upon completion and at times can be a cause of some line twist. a better choice is the FG knot and another knot not brought up in this discussion the improved albright, also a straight ,soft out side wrap knot that is a great knot for lines of diff diam.s even smooth wire to floro with excellent strength and a fairly easy tie....but same as the FG you need to tie it right and i usually increase the number of recomended wraps when tying by 2-4 (depending on how heavy of lines being tied) on both....or else.
lots of good anglers giving their views...this whole evolving thread on braids,lines ,and knots is a great one and important one and one of my biggest every morning superstitions and fears cause man..there is nothing more sick feeling than a big fish lost due to knot or line failures.
steve herbeck
esoxaddict
Posted 3/2/2018 11:03 AM (#894749 - in reply to #893478)

7ovr50 - 2/22/2018 1:14 PM

I flip mine every season with an added twist. I put enough backing on my reels so that 150 ft of braid fills the spool. I've checked and I can't cast any bait far enough to ever reach the backing, So my thinking is why waste 150 ft, of line that never sees the water. I fish 4-5 days a week from ice out to Nov. I've never been broken off by wear or a fish.

That.^ That way you can fill 3 reels with a 150 yard spool. You CAN get down to the backing if you're throwing something like a Doc, with the wind, on a stupid long cast.

Or you could just fish in closer and cast like a normal person...

As long as you're checking your line often and cutting off a few feet when fishing a lot of rocks, I don't see a reason to change out your line (I flip mine too) unless it starts looking fuzzy. Never had a breakoff. f'ed up a couple knots and lost a few baits early on, but breaking braided line is a lot tougher than you think. Unless its 50# Powerpro. That stuff is relegated to hanging pictures and #*#* around the house.
splash
Posted 3/2/2018 11:05 AM (#894751 - in reply to #892674)

Talked about the FG knot and the Double-Uni knots. Where does the Palomar fall into the equation?
nar160
Posted 3/2/2018 11:15 AM (#894758 - in reply to #892674)

Those are line to line knots - palomar is line to bait.
supertrollr
Posted 3/2/2018 11:19 AM (#894759 - in reply to #892674)

ive make couple of cast with my lc reel and my max distance without wind was 110'.maybe it could help someone for his amount of needed braid
splash
Posted 3/2/2018 12:02 PM (#894772 - in reply to #892674)

Thanks nar160. I'll get this right eventually. Where does the Palomar knot fall into strength as far as braided line to lure is concerned??
nar160
Posted 3/2/2018 12:31 PM (#894780 - in reply to #892674)

Pretty strong I think. According to the below, it retains 100% of line strength. I can't say I've ever had one fail personally.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley-ae-top-five-must-know-knots....
nar160
Posted 3/2/2018 12:43 PM (#894785 - in reply to #892674)

Thinking about this some, what if we break the reasons for line strength loss into three categories:

I) Aging: non-issue with braid, doesn't deteriorate on our time-scale

II) Localized Damage: frays, nicks, cuts in one spot or area. This would include those first few feet of line and knot that periodically get cut off, abrasion from rocks, damages from backlashing, etc. These types of damages are dealt with by routinely inspecting and removing the issue. If enough occur, you may be forced to replace the spool because there is not enough line remaining.

III) General Wear: broad deterioration caused by usage. Line constantly on and off the spool, brushing guides, exposure to elements, etc. slowly breaks down the line. To me this is the hardest to get a handle on, but essentially determines the answer to the original question of when to replace an entire spool of line. This depends on the time you put on a specific rod/reel, the line, the rod guides and reel features, and probably the bait too. There isn't much hard data out there to compare lines or assess any of the other factors.

Last summer, I started with a fresh spool of 80 lb 832 on my main two casting combos, and after about 4 months and 250 casting hours split across those two combos the line was visibly worn and seemed to fray and break noticeably easier than when new. I have not noticed this in years past, but I wasn't able to fish as much then either. For that amount of usage with that line, reversing once in the middle of the season and then swapping between seasons seems to make sense. If you have 6 combos and fish one 8 hr day every other weekend June-Sept, that amount of wear would take nearly a decade.
North of 8
Posted 3/2/2018 1:10 PM (#894791 - in reply to #894648)

ToddM - 3/1/2018 5:53 PM

Superbraid does not rot like the old dacron line. I cut the frayed part off and retie. Takes along time to vet down on the spool. If i want i can always add more backing. Some great discussion here.

Todd, any idea how long dacron actually lasted? I know I changed it every year but some guys back then fished a lot more than me and changed out a couple times a year as a precaution. I know it was crap compared to modern braids, just wondering what its life really was.
supertrollr
Posted 3/2/2018 2:01 PM (#894801 - in reply to #892674)

for me nothing beat palomar,it can even be tied in dark, and never slip.anyway at 100 lbs braid for a fish that don't fight pretty i think all knots with a lil bit of reputation will be more than enough.we don't fish tuna here,and btw the backing line are not supposed to be in the water so the toughness of line to line knot is kind of useless for musky fisherman no?
Ciscokid82
Posted 3/2/2018 8:37 PM (#894865 - in reply to #892674)

I use an Alberto knot (improved Albright?) for tying braid to fluorocarbon on my walleye rigs. It’s a great thin, strong knot that you can cast through your guides. I usually tie it so that it sits between the reel and the first guide. It’s by far my favorite knot now. I don’t use it on muskies setups because of the lack of need for a 7 or 8 foot leader and I’m not sure how well it would tie with two lines that have such a difference in diameter. I shouldn’t say that, I use it for line to line connection but when my spool gets that low I usually respool with new line( for some reason I don’t mind casting out two connected lines for walleye but for Muskie i do lol).For esox I use a Palomar tied to my leaders which are crimped. Like supertrollr said you can tie it in the dark!
horsehunter
Posted 3/2/2018 9:17 PM (#894871 - in reply to #894791)

North of 8 - 3/2/2018 2:10 PM

ToddM - 3/1/2018 5:53 PM

Todd, any idea how long dacron actually lasted? I know I changed it every year but some guys back then fished a lot more than me and changed out a couple times a year as a precaution. I know it was crap compared to modern braids, just wondering what its life really was.

When I started muskie fishing 36 lb dacron was the standard and i changed the beginning of every season it was fairly inexpensive. But I remember as a kid my dad coming home from fishing and stringing his lines out to dry after rinsing them off with tap water he kept his lines a long time I'm not sure if they were braided nylon or dacron. He would also take his fly lines off the reels and put them on a big wooden winder afair that I think was for drying them.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)