Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod handle Preference

Message Subject: Rod handle Preference
ToTheWoods
Posted 2/15/2018 10:25 AM (#892508)
Subject: Rod handle Preference

I am working on another set of muskie rods and wanted some opinions on handles. I personally have modified most of my store bought rods to fit my hands and like a little thicker handle behind the reel tapered to reel seat back to a minimum 1 3/4" to better fit my hand. On split grips the fighting butt I like a 3" long tapered out to 2+". I am not a big fan of a full length rear handle because of the added weight it brings. My wife has a much smaller hand and prefers a much thinners handles. What is your preference?
River2Stream
Posted 2/15/2018 12:46 PM (#892532 - in reply to #892508)
Subject: Re: Rod handle Preference

As far as casting goes it is definitely a matter of personal preference (hand size, overall strength) but I caution you on this one facet. If you are building a bulldawg rod then I would go with a full grip for the cushioning against your ribs. I learned this lesson the hard way haha. But for you wife, you could always sand the cork or EVA down to fit her preferences. It might also tickle your fancy to shave the extra weight off. The processes makes a mess (also wear a mask or respirator) but its really easy and quick to accomplish. You can basically have the best of both worlds, the cushioning of the full handle with the feel of a split.

Edited by River2Stream 2/15/2018 12:48 PM
ToTheWoods
Posted 2/15/2018 8:52 PM (#892591 - in reply to #892508)
Subject: Re: Rod handle Preference

After being out of muskie fishing for about a dozen years I got back into last year. My wife decided that after all these years that she wanted to give it a try too. These two rods I'm building now are already #9 and 10. y wife does prefer the EVA to cork. I know what she likes and what I like I was just curious what others preferences were or if any even think about it. I am always battling weight, balance and comfort.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)