Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Muskie Fishing LOTW

Message Subject: Muskie Fishing LOTW
srogge28
Posted 2/3/2018 8:58 AM (#891190)
Subject: Muskie Fishing LOTW

We stay at Tomahawk resort every year in early to mid July and make the boat ride up around Astron Bay and the French Portage Narrows every year muskie fishing. I am looking at going a little farther to the Big Narrows, because we have been kind of struggling where we fish around those other areas. We could just be missing something but are only catching and/or seeing a couple a year in a week. Any advice on what we could be missing or what to look for around there would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by srogge28 2/3/2018 9:00 AM
Fishermantom81
Posted 2/5/2018 11:21 AM (#891339 - in reply to #891190)
Subject: Re: Muskie Fishing LOTW

Have you checked out http://www.tamarackislandwildernesslodge.com/. The area it is in is unique in that the next closest resort is about 5-6 miles away. I have been staying there for about 14 years and I love it! It is not just great muskie water but great fishing all around.
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/5/2018 6:14 PM (#891393 - in reply to #891190)
Subject: RE: Muskie Fishing LOTW

Unless there is another Tomahawk resort, I assume you are staying in Sioux Narrows and then boating up through and past Yellow Girl, past Chisholm and into Sunset Channel all the way over to Astron and French Portage Narrows? If so, during your boatride, you are passing by quite a few decent spots. Islands with submerged rocky points, main points and saddles leading out of the bays that are connected to Sunset Channel, for example, all can be good bets. It's been more than a decade since we've frequented this area of the lake, but back then, some of the smaller bays off the main channel had decent weeds that held fish. From what I've heard, the rusty's have decimated most if not all of those weeds, (such as used to be in Astron--as I've been told), so I'm not sure if that's no longer an option. But in early/mid July, you probably want to be focusing more on the bays themselves and the adjacent structures.

I don't consider myself any kind of expert in this area of the lake, but in my experience, the overall density of muskies from Yellow Girl and westerly into the Sunset Channel would be charitably described as fair/moderate, but not without some good opportunities, including bigger fish. Seems that numbers generally are increasing the further west you go, down through the Sunset Channel towards Astron. And, yes, then from Astron, there are decent numbers of fish as you get up closer and then into the Big Narrows proper. But honestly, the Big Narrows seems like an awfully long run to be making all the way from Sioux Narrows...you might want to consider staying at a resort in the Big Narrows itself? Although keep in mind that in early/mid July, you'll have plenty of company in the Big Narrows whereas in the Sunset Channel and easterly, you'll generally find fewer muskie boats.

Not sure how helpful this is, but anyways, it is my $0.02.

Good luck.

Musky Brian
Posted 2/6/2018 2:28 PM (#891446 - in reply to #891393)

Matt...there’s a Totem outpost camp at the top of Tug Channel tucked away on an island. I’m guessing he’s talking about that one.

You guys are in prime location there...it’s not the area. You should be spending a lot of time in Bishops Bay (not a long boat ride) and some areas to the North of you are prime to. Not to mention the big water down South...I’m guessing spot choices and maybe bait choices need some adjustment as it’s good water there

Edited by Musky Brian 2/6/2018 2:31 PM
BNelson
Posted 2/6/2018 2:44 PM (#891447 - in reply to #891446)

the water north of french portage like around Skeet etc is a bit lower density and it is much clearer so you have to be on your Agame in figure 8s... I haven't spent any time in Bishops but I'm sure Brian is correct... I'd think even if you spent a full week fishing the skeet area a bad week is 5-7 fish.. avg week 10-12, great week 16 or more...fish fast, fish the best stuff over and over, as often times we have fished a reef 5 x in one day and not moved a thing 4 of the 5 times and a 5th time they were all over it... front guy should be burning 8s, 9s or 10s, if they are active both guys can burn blades, if fish are off have the guy in back banging a big crank or jerkbait... tons of spots up there...
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/6/2018 8:29 PM (#891478 - in reply to #891446)

Musky Brian - 2/6/2018 2:28 PM

Matt...there’s a Totem outpost camp at the top of Tug Channel tucked away on an island. I’m guessing he’s talking about that one.

Ahh...thanks Brian. That would make a lot more sense. And yeah, good water in many directions from there.
jvlast15
Posted 2/7/2018 10:06 AM (#891536 - in reply to #891478)

I have always heard that the Sunset Channel (Sabaskong area) was fairly loaded with muskies. Is this not the case?
Musky Brian
Posted 2/7/2018 10:19 AM (#891538 - in reply to #891536)

jvlast15 - 2/7/2018 10:06 AM

I have always heard that the Sunset Channel (Sabaskong area) was fairly loaded with muskies. Is this not the case?

There’s another Sunset Channel that comes out of the Whitefish Bay Area
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)