Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What the hell is it

Message Subject: What the hell is it
horsehunter
Posted 1/26/2018 1:21 PM (#890611)
Subject: What the hell is it

For the last week I have been confined to the house with the flu so I've been watching old muskie shows on you tube. In old Keyes shows there is something on the port rear quarter of the boat that I can only describe as looking like a small hinged toilet seat. I have never seen it used for anything. What the hell is it?

Edited by horsehunter 1/26/2018 1:23 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/26/2018 1:25 PM (#890614 - in reply to #890611)
Subject: Re: What the hell is it

Meant to quickly clean weeds off your bait. Not sure how effective it is though....
horsehunter
Posted 1/26/2018 1:33 PM (#890615 - in reply to #890611)

Thanks .....would like to see it in use but can't imagine wanting to hang it off my boat. I already have too many things to hang the net up on when I'm alone. One thing I have noticed and have never figured out is often when people are in my boat they remove weeds from their lure and drop them in the bottom of the boat when by moving their hand 6 inches they could drop them over the side.

Edited by horsehunter 1/26/2018 1:45 PM
danmuskyman
Posted 1/26/2018 7:18 PM (#890643 - in reply to #890611)

I assume your talking about that big whisker biscuit looking thing he had on his Skeeter for a few years? Yes it was meant for removing g weeds but it’s never actually shown being used or discussed who made it.
T3clay
Posted 1/27/2018 6:45 AM (#890660 - in reply to #890611)

Haha I have been trying to figure that out forever... I was really hoping it was something more practical....
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/27/2018 7:04 AM (#890663 - in reply to #890660)

T3clay - 1/27/2018 7:45 AM

Haha I have been trying to figure that out forever... I was really hoping it was something more practical....

How much more practical could it get, then a quick de-weeder??
Sidejack
Posted 1/27/2018 8:25 AM (#890669 - in reply to #890663)

Aww.. prolly a sponsor's product but they went with the "bronze" contribution package which only gets your product installed on their boat and they never feature it during the show. Gotta feel for um if that's the case..
muskie! nut
Posted 1/27/2018 9:49 AM (#890677 - in reply to #890669)

Sidejack - 1/27/2018 8:25 AM

Aww.. prolly a sponsor's product .

Ya and this is probably sponsored by Great Clips.
patcampbell
Posted 2/4/2018 6:19 AM (#891248 - in reply to #890615)

horsehunter - 1/26/2018 1:33 PM

Thanks .....would like to see it in use but can't imagine wanting to hang it off my boat. I already have too many things to hang the net up on when I'm alone. One thing I have noticed and have never figured out is often when people are in my boat they remove weeds from their lure and drop them in the bottom of the boat when by moving their hand 6 inches they could drop them over the side.

Those fishing lakes with Eurasian Water Millfoil: Please KEEP Eurasian millfoil in the boat and dispose of on shore. Throwing it back in the lake can spread it.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/4/2018 8:37 AM (#891253 - in reply to #891248)

patcampbell - 2/4/2018 6:19 AM

horsehunter - 1/26/2018 1:33 PM

Those fishing lakes with Eurasian Water Millfoil: Please KEEP Eurasian millfoil in the boat and dispose of on shore. Throwing it back in the lake can spread it.

If it's already in the lake, it can spread much easier than by doing this. Conversely, if someone isn't diligent in their removal off all vegetation on shore and fragments are left in the boat there is a much higher potential to spreading it tona water body that is not already infested.
patcampbell
Posted 2/4/2018 10:30 AM (#891260 - in reply to #890611)

Spread easier from the party barges running through a patch of Eurasian, yes. Still, doing my part to limit the Eurasian.

Still throwing beer bottles & cigarette butts in the lake though (just kidding).
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/5/2018 10:01 AM (#891333 - in reply to #891260)

patcampbell - 2/4/2018 10:30 AM

Spread easier from the party barges running through a patch of Eurasian, yes. Still, doing my part to limit the Eurasian.

Still throwing beer bottles & cigarette butts in the lake though (just kidding).

It's great that you're being proactive, I just don't think what you're doing has an impact.
North of 8
Posted 2/5/2018 12:19 PM (#891347 - in reply to #891333)

Pointerpride102 - 2/5/2018 10:01 AM

It's great that you're being proactive, I just don't think what you're doing has an impact.

Pointer, you are one of the few folks on here that actually understand the science of some of this, so I thought I would ask a question. I am one of those dummies who volunteer to talk to folks at the boat launch about invasive species, etc. We typically just ask if they know about them, whether they want any information, where and when the boat was in the water. Today it normally goes pretty smoothly and quickly, most folks are very polite and cooperative, unlike when we first started. Question is, does it really matter? I know we keep big chunks of weeds, zebra mussels out but is that really doing anything?
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/5/2018 1:53 PM (#891363 - in reply to #891347)

North of 8 - 2/5/2018 12:19 PM

Pointer, you are one of the few folks on here that actually understand the science of some of this, so I thought I would ask a question. I am one of those dummies who volunteer to talk to folks at the boat launch about invasive species, etc. We typically just ask if they know about them, whether they want any information, where and when the boat was in the water. Today it normally goes pretty smoothly and quickly, most folks are very polite and cooperative, unlike when we first started. Question is, does it really matter? I know we keep big chunks of weeds, zebra mussels out but is that really doing anything?

No inspection plan will ever be perfect. Education and awareness is the cornerstone of most AIS programs. So, more education is always better than less. We often run into first time boat owners who are clueless, they'll take the education you give them and run with it. Most people are pretty aware, and our data reflects that. I want to say our statewide drain plug law violation rate for MN was around 4%, but don't quote me on that number. We'll never prevent all infestations, but the longer we can prevent some the better off we'll be. A lot of people lose sight of AIS beyond our state border lines. The AIS that are already in a state are going to move about the state much easier than those out side the state. There are still plenty of species out there we don't want to show up here, so try to expand the view beyond EWM, ZM, SWF and some of the other hot topic AIS. The current one gaining tons of attention is starry stonewort. Not a lot is known about this plant, and like most AIS control/eradication attempts it's been very difficult, costly, and far from 100% effective.

I know I'm biased, but humans are the primary vector of AIS spread. So, I'd say it is always worth it to work with people and educated about clean, drain, and dispose (and/or dry).
horsehunter
Posted 2/5/2018 2:18 PM (#891364 - in reply to #890611)

I blame the birds
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/5/2018 2:45 PM (#891366 - in reply to #891364)

horsehunter - 2/5/2018 2:18 PM

I blame the birds

Lots of people do. But it's not based in reality. Studies have shown they don't carry meaningful amounts of veligers, nor do the veligers survive a flight. I'm not going to say it's impossible for a bird to move a plant fragment to a neighboring water, but there is a reason you can track the spread of many species along main highway arteries (at least here in MN). The primary, and overwhelming, vector is humans.
North of 8
Posted 2/5/2018 10:10 PM (#891411 - in reply to #891363)

Pointerpride102 - 2/5/2018 1:53 PM

North of 8 - 2/5/2018 12:19 PM

No inspection plan will ever be perfect. Education and awareness is the cornerstone of most AIS programs. So, more education is always better than less. We often run into first time boat owners who are clueless, they'll take the education you give them and run with it. Most people are pretty aware, and our data reflects that. I want to say our statewide drain plug law violation rate for MN was around 4%, but don't quote me on that number. We'll never prevent all infestations, but the longer we can prevent some the better off we'll be. A lot of people lose sight of AIS beyond our state border lines. The AIS that are already in a state are going to move about the state much easier than those out side the state. There are still plenty of species out there we don't want to show up here, so try to expand the view beyond EWM, ZM, SWF and some of the other hot topic AIS. The current one gaining tons of attention is starry stonewort. Not a lot is known about this plant, and like most AIS control/eradication attempts it's been very difficult, costly, and far from 100% effective.

I know I'm biased, but humans are the primary vector of AIS spread. So, I'd say it is always worth it to work with people and educated about clean, drain, and dispose (and/or dry).

Thanks for the reply. We offer any interested boaters a packet prepared by the DNR and today most have already had it and understand the issue. And today most are a lot more receptive to answering the question about the last body of water they were last on than they were years back. Today most tell us and then ask if that body of water has a problem. The chain I live on has begun to see rusty crayfish. So far the numbers have been pretty low but lake association has volunteers setting traps and reporting to a coordinator. Last year one of my favorite cabbage patches was almost gone, wonder if that was due in part to rusties. Will be one of the first places I check once vegetation comes back.
On a side note, the musky fishermen often laugh about the live well issue. A lot of them say it has been plugged and used for storage for a long time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)