Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Well, it sure is pretty.
- (Added by: KidDerringer)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> What type of marabou do i use

Message Subject: What type of marabou do i use
WOLF
Posted 11/26/2017 5:05 PM (#885174)
Subject: What type of marabou do i use

I have used marabou in the past want to make a Boo type of bucktail is X Select the best to use can someone tell me and are there any video's out there for tying marabou on a bucktail coil Thank You
MTJ
Posted 11/27/2017 11:38 AM (#885210 - in reply to #885174)
Subject: RE: What type of marabou do i use

i don't know how to advise you on type on marabou but any kind of regular labeled marabout should work. I also use hackle feathers. i start with the long hackle feathers as a base, use the longer marabou feathers for the bulk of the build, then finish off with a top layer of the shorter softer fluffiest marabou feathers to hide all the prior wraps and feather shafts. with any given pack of marabou you'll usually get both long marabou, short fluffy marabou and a couple feathers with really thick shafts that aren't very usable.

tying marabou is not hard but does take practice and patience. select feathers from your clump that have a more flexible shaft as opposed to the thicker feather shafts or cut off a little bit of the thickest feather bases. I like to start with a good thread base on the coil, tie about about 10 hackle feathers then I start tying on the marabou feathers 2 at a time, wrap a couple times, and keep going as you rotate around your coil. take your time and don't try to do too much at once.

i like to put a drop of head cement on the wrap every few clumps of marabou i add to hold the thread. work up the coil shaft a little bit, it doesn't all have to be tied in once clump. i'd also advise cleaning off the marabou feather shaft where you wrap your thread. if you do too many feathers per wrap or get in a hurry your thread will slip and the innermost marabou and wraps will fall out the bottom. viewing your wraps from the top or bottom of the whole thing will reveal gaps and spots to fill in as you finish off. it'll usually look like crap for most of the time your wrapping then it'll all come together in the end. like i said, patience is probably the most important thing to have when doing marabou but you'll definitely get the hang of it after a couple practice runs.

buckeye
Posted 11/27/2017 4:22 PM (#885231 - in reply to #885174)
Subject: Re: What type of marabou do i use

https://vimeo.com/40660012

Here is a video.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)