Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Nighttime Boat Launch Courtesy

Message Subject: Nighttime Boat Launch Courtesy
Sidejack
Posted 10/9/2017 10:18 PM (#880760 - in reply to #880712)
Subject: Re: Nighttime Boat Launch Courtesy

Flambeauski - 10/9/2017 4:02 PM
Litter or sand is better for the lake than salt. Just sayin.

Yeah, salt doesn't evaporate ya know.
Sheesh, how about some "lake" courtesy...eh?
Some people's kids..
~hands on hips, stern look~
jamesb
Posted 10/9/2017 10:24 PM (#880762 - in reply to #880489)

Or you could just wait a couple minutes until the other people are done so the light isn't in your eyes. I've never understood all the hostility I see a launches.... everyone thinks everyone else is some horrible, incompetent person. If I'm going to go fishing for five hours I can take five extra minutes to launch/retrieve to avoid getting all worked up about something that is supposed to be relaxing.
Dirt Esox
Posted 10/9/2017 10:24 PM (#880763 - in reply to #880489)

I'm guessing the guys going out of their way to say quit peeing and moaning on this thread are the ones who leave their headlights on. It is beyond irritating, on both counts.
sworrall
Posted 10/9/2017 10:59 PM (#880765 - in reply to #880489)

What's beyond irritation?

My truck allows me to use my running lights and leave the headlights off. So I do. If someone else doesn't, they should if they can. But I won't get all crazy or go ballistic on anyone, I'll just mutter some unintelligible things and work through it, unless the brights are on, in which case I have been known to ask them to dim it. No one has ever argued, most say something apologetic and kill the lights.
Headlock
Posted 10/10/2017 12:05 AM (#880766 - in reply to #880572)

Brian Hoffies - 10/8/2017 10:42 AM

MTJ - 10/8/2017 8:56 AM

Lots of trucks have automatic headlights that turn on the dark when the truck is in gear, what can you do?

Just relax. It's only fishing. Nobody here is fishing to survive. It's a hobby. If it's such a big deal maybe only fish during the day when all you need worry about is the sun. I understand the point, been there done that, however is it REALLY that big of a deal or just something else for us to bit$h about?

My thoughts exactly. It is funny how crabby fisherman are becoming.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 10/10/2017 1:34 AM (#880769 - in reply to #880489)

Any waterfowlers on here. At the boat ramp at 3:30am waiting to go hunting might be the fastest and cleanest you will see anyone drop the boat.
ToddM
Posted 10/10/2017 6:59 AM (#880773 - in reply to #880489)

Maybe we don't need to bring salt, we can just shake ourselves on the ramp and be good to go.
Dirt Esox
Posted 10/10/2017 7:14 AM (#880776 - in reply to #880765)

sworrall - 10/9/2017 10:59 PM What's beyond irritation?

It's hyperbole Mr. Worrall.  A literary device used for effect.

Too many years on this board, what am I becoming.  Haha...my smugness even bothers me.

Edited by Dirt Esox 10/10/2017 7:20 AM
tackleaddict
Posted 10/10/2017 7:54 AM (#880780 - in reply to #880489)

Walleye jigging the Detroit River in April has become really popular. We get huge lines to launch in the morning and people showing up 90 minutes before sunlight just to wait to launch. It gets really old listening to everyone complain about everybody else while they wait. I say just accept it and make an event out of the wait. Getting out of the truck and meeting new people from other parts of the country while you sip your java is pretty fun once you accept that the wait is part of the experience. People go from being thankful that we have a world class place to fish nearby to crabby and angry about every thing they can pick apart about all the other fisherman.

Edited by tackleaddict 10/10/2017 7:55 AM
sworrall
Posted 10/10/2017 4:49 PM (#880856 - in reply to #880776)

Dirt Esox - 10/10/2017 7:14 AM

sworrall - 10/9/2017 10:59 PM What's beyond irritation?

It's hyperbole Mr. Worrall.  A literary device used for effect.

Too many years on this board, what am I becoming.  Haha...my smugness even bothers me.

Eh, not so bad...
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/10/2017 5:03 PM (#880857 - in reply to #880856)

Pulled my boat out the other night and had the lights off....didn't matter. Guy pulling his out at the same time could not back a trailer to save his life. Had he stayed out of my way for another 30 seconds I could have gotten out of his way and left my lights on.

Edited by Pointerpride102 10/10/2017 5:04 PM
ToddM
Posted 10/10/2017 6:14 PM (#880859 - in reply to #880489)

Funny watching some people work their trailer backwards like a jackpot.

Edited by ToddM 10/10/2017 6:16 PM
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/11/2017 7:52 AM (#880897 - in reply to #880489)

Sadly, I look like a rank amateur this fall. After years of backing in with a single pass by looking over my shoulder, my new tow vehicle has forced me to back with my mirrors and my brain does not want to cooperate. And there's a new house under construction across from my long driveway. Guess I better figure it out before they move in.
followking
Posted 10/11/2017 8:29 AM (#880902 - in reply to #880489)

How about asking the person nicely? Maybe they didn't know. Saying nothing or being confrontational accomplishes nothing.
Schultz345
Posted 10/11/2017 10:40 AM (#880925 - in reply to #880489)

Saw a guy chew some younger guy's butt over this a few months ago. A simple "hey, next time could you shut your lights off" would have sufficed but instead the guy got really salty. I get annoyed by it, but I don't care enough to go up and get hostile with some stranger over it.
North of 8
Posted 10/11/2017 11:05 AM (#880930 - in reply to #880489)

Volunteer to work at a boat launch sometime as a "clean boats/clean water" volunteer if you want to find out how crabby fishermen can be. Most are fine, answer the few questions we ask while getting the boat ready and then ask how the fish have been biting. But some are just rude and vulgar. They tend to be the guys whose boats look like they have not picked up a candy bar wrapper or any other trash for two years. Baits, rods, trash all randomly distributed on the floor. But they don't have time for this crap, like what lake did you last fish? Almost always the guys whose boats are organized, gear stowed, they know about invasive species, answer the questions politely and away they go. I always wish those guys luck and mean it. The rude ones, those I hope they take their skeg off on the unmarked boulder across the lake from the launch.
And muskie fishermen are both the best and the worst.
Slamr
Posted 10/11/2017 11:26 AM (#880937 - in reply to #880489)

I rage on the inside all the time about the idiots at the launch....but I really do try to laugh as much as possible, too. Lots of people just don't know, and I'll offer to give them a hand if they need it. Seems to work better than being a d*ck or sitting on the side glaring. Others are just idiots.

I will say one of my most fun (fishless) days of fishing was a S.Wi opener where we started early, stopped to have bloody breakfast at a bar next to the ramp...humor abounds! Boats that won't start, divorces that almost started because of launching troubles. If you can, just kick back and watch and laugh!
ToddM
Posted 10/11/2017 11:56 AM (#880941 - in reply to #880489)

Some launches should have bleachers. Silver lake in kenosha county is a great one i have seen many debacles there. The best one was a guy who launched his boat and tried to race out to a fresh open parking spot. I was on this dock and went running as he hooked his dock rope with the trailer almost broke the dock support right before the rope broke with a rifle shot sending his boat flying into some rip rap. I have a picture of a big fiberglass boat at heidecke laying on the pavement and they did it twice!!!!!

Edited by ToddM 10/11/2017 11:57 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 10/11/2017 12:40 PM (#880946 - in reply to #880925)

Schultz345 - 10/11/2017 10:40 AM Saw a guy chew some younger guy's butt over this a few months ago. A simple "hey, next time could you shut your lights off" would have sufficed but instead the guy got really salty. I get annoyed by it, but I don't care enough to go up and get hostile with some stranger over it.

Guessing the younger guy probably didn't deserve such treatment, but I bet he'll be more aware in the future… just as I hope some of you will be without having to be asked at the boat launch.

There are a couple issue levels you can encounter while trying to backup your boat around other vehicles that leave their headlights on - annoyance and impossible.

The annoyance level (for me) usually occurs when backing up angling back and forth and pick up distant headlights in the side mirrors, or when somebody sweeps in behind causing a couple seconds of temporary blindness. 

The impossible level (for everyone) is when somebody has their vehicles headlights shining directly in your mirrors while you try to backup.

My original post was the result of this happening twice this year from guys in the prep area waiting for me to launch... complete blindness. I had no choice but to put it in park, walk across the parking lot and politely ask them to shut off their headlights... while a line of anxious fisherman formed before the sun was up.

Edited by Jerry Newman 10/11/2017 12:42 PM
Mikes Extreme
Posted 10/12/2017 10:23 AM (#881054 - in reply to #880489)
Subject: RE: Nighttime Boat Launch Courtesy

I talk to people all the time about this. Ask nicely and I have never got a negative reply. Now other issues come up more frequently like the guy who puts his trailer in way too deep and the boat comes out uneven. Then two, three, four tries later he gets lucky and it's good enough. Most trailers should be backed in about to the top of the tires or half the fender. Once you explain it to them they will be better at it next time.
It's best to bite your tongue and explain the best way to others. If you start out nice, most will appreciate the help. Most people don't know launch etiquette. Everyone has to learn sometime somewhere. Be the nice guy and help others. They will do the same hopefully.
zombietrolling
Posted 10/15/2017 7:32 AM (#881364 - in reply to #880489)

I have fun when the kayakers are taking up the launch. I usually squeeze the trailer in between them and freak them out. Funny.
ndsumiller
Posted 10/23/2017 11:33 PM (#882208 - in reply to #880489)

I've never owned a boat, but borrowed my father-in-law's boat for Tonka a few weeks back. My main concern was spending as little time as possible at the launch, and making sure I didn't wreck anything. Getting off the water was a bit tougher for me, but I managed to make it work okay. It started to rain a little, and the launch was getting fairly busy. I probably looked like an idiot going back up and down on the trailer a few times to get it positioned right, but I don't really mind that. This post is nice for a boat rookie like me if I ever end up putting in the water when it's dark though, so I appreciate this!

As far as the lights go, most vehicles should have the option/switch/wheel/circle to turn off the automatic lights if it was made in the last 10 years.
1musky
Posted 10/25/2017 11:38 AM (#882358 - in reply to #880489)

A couple things really help. If the launch is a big one get your gear into the boat when out of the way of others before approaching the launch lane. The second thing is when pulling the boat out of the water is to keep going and find a secluded area away from others to wipe it down and get it ready for travel on the way home.
zombietrolling
Posted 10/25/2017 6:47 PM (#882383 - in reply to #880859)

ToddM - 10/10/2017 7:14 PM

Funny watching some people work their trailer backwards like a jackpot.

Lol.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)