Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> If you had to do it all again...

Message Subject: If you had to do it all again...
mnmusky
Posted 8/31/2017 6:54 PM (#876252 - in reply to #874914)
Subject: Re: If you had to do it all again...

I can give you this...My wife Graduated college. She then went backpacking through Europe that summer. Came back, got a job, while continuing school to get her masters. We married, she soon had our first and she hasn't had a paying job since...that was 17 years ago. Me? yeah, little college and we are still plugging along. Follow what moves you.
fishpoop
Posted 9/1/2017 2:50 PM (#876323 - in reply to #874914)

A lot of posters are saying something to the effect of; "Work hard now, save your money, retire early, then go fishing." That seems like solid advice that's hard to argue against.

But...

On the other hand, take my deceased wife and I for example. We worked hard and long hours. Tried paying down the mortgage early, hoped to retire early. Then she got brain cancer and died before we could retire. One of the things she said to me when she was sick was; "Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life."

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Edited by fishpoop 9/1/2017 3:02 PM
14ledo81
Posted 9/1/2017 3:52 PM (#876327 - in reply to #876323)

fishpoop - 9/1/2017 2:50 PM

A lot of posters are saying something to the effect of; "Work hard now, save your money, retire early, then go fishing." That seems like solid advice that's hard to argue against.

But...

On the other hand, take my deceased wife and I for example. We worked hard and long hours. Tried paying down the mortgage early, hoped to retire early. Then she got brain cancer and died before we could retire. One of the things she said to me when she was sick was; "Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life."

Wise words from your wife.

My Dad warned me about "wishing" your life away. Many times we think we think if I just get this bill paid off, or that new boat, or etc., I will be set.
Slamr
Posted 9/1/2017 3:58 PM (#876329 - in reply to #876323)

But...

Thank you for that. Good reminder day in and day out.
happy hooker
Posted 9/1/2017 7:40 PM (#876348 - in reply to #876329)

Very well said Paul,,,please come back to the chapter soon,,your missed.
fishpoop
Posted 9/2/2017 4:01 AM (#876362 - in reply to #876327)

14ledo81 - 9/1/2017 3:52 PM

But...

Wise words from your wife.

My Dad warned me about "wishing" your life away. Many times we think we think if I just get this bill paid off, or that new boat, or etc., I will be set.

Thanks, she was a smart lady. Your Dad sounds like he's pretty wise too.
fishpoop
Posted 9/2/2017 4:11 AM (#876364 - in reply to #876348)

happy hooker - 9/1/2017 7:40 PM

Very well said Paul,,,please come back to the chapter soon,,your missed.

Andrew "Slamr" Golden
[email protected]

Thank you for that. Good reminder day in and day out.

@Happy Hooker

Thanks, Brad! I'll be back one of these days. I miss you guys too.

@Slamr
Thanks to you too. It's something we all need reminding of every so often.

Edited by fishpoop 9/2/2017 4:13 AM
kirkkopplin
Posted 9/2/2017 5:06 PM (#876416 - in reply to #874914)
Subject: RE: If you had to do it all again...

This post is really good read. I am in charge of hiring at my company and i recently hired an engineer who had taken a year off after he graduated. He worked his way through college as a bartender. He was able to invest some of that money and used the rest to fund his travels. He is not concerned with materiel things, instead he is all about life experiences, and as sled said having a story to tell. you have to figure out what you want and what will make you happy. You never know what tomorrow will bring, take the time off and enjoy yourself while you can.

FishFearMe
Posted 9/3/2017 7:04 AM (#876443 - in reply to #874914)

This is a fascinating thread. It seems like most people are on one side or the other, get a job, go to work or spend the summer fishing because you never know when you will have that same opportunity again.

I don't think it necessarily has to be one or the other. I graduated from college in May with an accounting degree and I had lined up a full time accounting job that was going to start in the fall (beginning of Sept). That summer I worked from about 8 to 5 painting houses. Then I went muskie fishing every evening after work and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Now I'm married with kids and I still look back on that summer as one of the best of my life. Worked hard, saved some money, and fished every spare moment I had. Also, I caught more muskies that summer than I have any year since then.
T3clay
Posted 9/3/2017 11:14 AM (#876451 - in reply to #874914)

I think the bottom line here is a havibg a job isnt what keeps you from muskie fishing, its other things in life. You can work full time, fish 3 or 4 hours every evening, and easily 20+ jours on the weekends. Once you married, with kids that is pretty tough to do

Edited by T3clay 9/3/2017 11:15 AM
sworrall
Posted 9/3/2017 12:33 PM (#876457 - in reply to #874914)

Life is way shorter than you may think. The distant future is an eyeblink away, and once you are there, the memories you have are the ones you made.
RLSea
Posted 9/3/2017 8:40 PM (#876475 - in reply to #874914)

Well said, Steve.
tolle141
Posted 9/4/2017 10:25 AM (#876506 - in reply to #874914)

100% get an internship relevant to your intended career. Saw too many friends do the waiter/waitressing thing between semesters because it paid better. They ended up taking the low-paying internships after they graduated - right when they needed to start paying student loans. Set their earning power back a couple years.

Most internships are part-time, so fish the other 50% of the time.
Fishysam
Posted 9/4/2017 8:07 PM (#876584 - in reply to #874914)

If I didn't buy 4 new motorcycles, 4 new trucks and a new boat but instead kept one of those trucks and my 1998 (used boat of my dreams) I'd be very well off and if I would have purchased a house 5-7 years ago I'd be 100k$ abased of the game. Keep your head on straight and think your large purchases ahead farther than "just making the payment and paying to use them" but what you can do with funds on the other hand not always making payments...
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/5/2017 2:46 PM (#876670 - in reply to #874914)

Put $5 a day into a retirement fund. Otherwise, live and learn. There's more to life than fishing and work.
fishpoop
Posted 9/8/2017 5:37 AM (#877000 - in reply to #876457)

sworrall - 9/3/2017 12:33 PM

Life is way shorter than you may think. The distant future is an eyeblink away, and once you are there, the memories you have are the ones you made.

Yes, I have to agree with Steve.

The thing about memories are they can bring smiles and tears. I watch muskie fishing videos on youtube and the memories all come back.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this or what my point is. For once I seem to be at a loss for words.

Live a rich full life of experiences and the rest is crap.

jonnysled
Posted 9/8/2017 5:47 AM (#877002 - in reply to #877000)

fishpoop - 9/8/2017 5:37 AM

Live a rich full life of experiences and the rest is crap.

^This!!!
tndoug
Posted 9/8/2017 7:49 PM (#877145 - in reply to #874914)

Fallow the
Grateful Dead around for the summer

Oh yea
20 years to late

Edited by tndoug 9/8/2017 7:50 PM
ToddM
Posted 9/9/2017 7:42 AM (#877162 - in reply to #874914)

What wq said, spend it like there is no tomorrow. Kalvin Klein make a buff?

Edited by ToddM 9/9/2017 7:42 AM
Jeremy
Posted 9/16/2017 2:15 PM (#878156 - in reply to #874914)

I almost didn't wanna post this as I didn't want to lead you astray but..if you're the type...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4873620/Woman-travels-van-t...
johnsonaaro2
Posted 9/18/2017 11:35 AM (#878344 - in reply to #874914)

It's easy to fall into the "once you start working your life is over" mentality but that just isnt the case if you do things right... Start job searching and reaching out to companies now and look for ones that give you the best work/life balance vs income/benefits/job security so that when you graduate you have options. Some people want to make work their life and if that fulfills you then more power to you, but For me, my job will never be my "purpose" or what wakes me up in the morning. With that said, I still work hard at it because it allows me to do the things that make life worth living. If you get a solid job, are single, and dont have kids you can put solid money away and still have TONS of time to go fishing. I was at the same point in life a few years ago and the biggest thing i'd recommend is to not get into the mindset where there is only one path to success/happiness.

once women and kids get involved thats where the story changes
Beaver
Posted 1/20/2018 1:50 PM (#890204 - in reply to #874914)

Plan for the future, live in the present.
Take advantage of the health and energy that you have in your youth because it won't always be there.

esoxaddict
Posted 1/20/2018 2:59 PM (#890207 - in reply to #874914)

Balance...

Work yourself into the grave with no time for fun = bad
Dedicate your life to play while ignoring your future = bad

Nobody gets to the end of their life and wishes they had spent more time at the office, but there are a lot of folks working into their 70's who really wish they could be fishing instead.
raftman
Posted 1/20/2018 6:40 PM (#890217 - in reply to #874914)

First off, congratulations for putting yourself in the position to ask the question. Seems like u have a good financial head on your shoulder so I won’t lecture on getting a job(although I will say pensions r a pipe dream at your age so don’t base a decision on that.). That said, u have the rest of your life to work and there r no guarantees how long u will live so find a balance. U also have the rest of your life to fish. Life gets busy and u will have less of it to fish but u will make time if u have to. My advice, get in your car and go do things u want to do but normally wouldn’t. That’s the stuff u will run out of time to do.
muskie-don58
Posted 1/21/2018 10:20 AM (#890239 - in reply to #874914)

"Tomorrow is promised to no one" ... Exactly
Ranger
Posted 1/22/2018 5:59 PM (#890336 - in reply to #874914)

I would do it the same. At first school full time year-round while working part time and some fishing. Later, after the graduate degree, work full time and specialized school part time year-round and some fishing. Then, lucrative work full time plus cherry side jobs and some fishing. Now it's all just fishing wherever and whenever I want.

Its harder now than when I ran that race. And someone who worked even harder than I recently gave me a bunch of cash. I wouldn't be secure without my education and job skills and wouldn't have been gifted the cash had I not worked my ass off for 30 years.

Edited by Ranger 1/22/2018 6:10 PM
Jeremy
Posted 1/31/2018 10:40 PM (#890974 - in reply to #874914)

Well acafisherman...what did you glean from all of these posts and experienced replies.

I think you at least respond don't you???
musky-skunk
Posted 2/2/2018 8:33 AM (#891084 - in reply to #874914)

Would you rather have 3 months to play now when you're in your 20s or an extra 3 months to play when you are in your 60s? The answer there should be obvious. A lot of people giving safe advice which will help you succeed financially. The one wishing they'd worked more makes me question their judgement a little lol. I did what one is supposed to do and 11 years out of college I will simply say go play my man. Don't drive yourself into the ground but take a few months and bask in the glory that is life. Waiting until your 55-65 to start living life to the fullest has always seemed crazy beyond belief to me. I love very physically demanding hobbies and I live with the realization I WON'T be able to enjoy them when I retire. I spend my time now planning to start my own business so I can have the freedoms to take more time to enjoy life while I'm young (32).

Now for practical advice. Consider camping. Not ultra comfy but it's cheap. Also not terribly inconvenient to set up for longer stays. You can buy a small propane burner you can cook all kinds of good stuff for little to nothing. Just be mindful of having the ability to charge up your boat batteries every day when looking for camping spots. I would tend to have a few stops on the agenda vs staying in one spot all summer. Giving each lake (or lake section) 2 weeks will allow you to learn it very well but not grow bored. I would also try to line up a few people to meet up with you for a week here and there so you don't spend all your time in isolation. If you can afford it I would not have a side job. If that's the case you might as well go find a real job and take a couple weeks vacation. Also if you are into it, now is a good time to take longer road trips out to places like national parks or Alaska. Those become more difficult once your career is in full swing as you must hurry through your available time off rather than being able to enjoy them in full.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/2/2018 10:33 AM (#891092 - in reply to #874914)

Absolutely go play. I graduated school in the spring of 14' and didn't go to work until October, best decision I ever made. Now I'm 28, always told myself that once I had a job and cash flow that I would really get set up to chase musky. Let me tell you the money and time goes real quick.

From May to October I lived off some money i had saved, and did some odd jobs hear and there (coaching lacrosse camps) that would also take me near fishing opportunities. I havent fished as hard since that summer and haven't landed as many fish or had as much fun goofing off. Almost everyday while I'm sitting at my desk I think about those days. Also the decision had no negative financial impact, just make sure as soon as you do get that "real job" you start socking away as much as you can to give yourself another chance later in life.
backdraft
Posted 2/2/2018 11:43 AM (#891098 - in reply to #874914)

"Jeremy - who loves fly fishing more'n a fat kid likes cake! "

I was a fat kid....you have no idea the struggles.

I don't know much about fly fishing

Backdraft

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)