Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW Lake Trout

Message Subject: LOTW Lake Trout
tkuntz
Posted 4/6/2017 9:16 AM (#856106)
Subject: LOTW Lake Trout

I'll be staying in miles bay for a week in July and was wondering if Whitefish Bay is the closest Lake Trout fishing. I see there's some very deep water in the narrows leading to little traverse bay, but not counting on that small of an area holding trout. I just want to fish for Lakers for one day so the 25 mile ride to Whitefish seems daunting. Anybody have any info to share on Lakers?
Tamarack
Posted 4/6/2017 3:02 PM (#856158 - in reply to #856106)
Subject: Re: LOTW Lake Trout

Yes Whitefish is the closest, there is a boat lift to get there, however it often is not working. You may have to consider trailering your boat up. Likely 4 hour round trip trailering a boat).Think about leaving a day early, fish Whitefish for a day, stay in Sioux Narrows for 1 night, and check into your resort the following day.
Farmer Rick
Posted 4/6/2017 6:52 PM (#856195 - in reply to #856106)

In the last 10 years I have only been able to cross that portage 2x. Don't count on it working at all. It's made for light boats and guys take boats on it that are too heavy and screw the cables up every time.
tkuntz
Posted 4/6/2017 7:59 PM (#856206 - in reply to #856106)

If I'm training I can go to Whitefish or kakagi, heard there's trout in both
Musky Brian
Posted 4/7/2017 4:05 PM (#856282 - in reply to #856106)

Not really in a good place for Lakers...I'd scratch that off your list.

Edited by Musky Brian 4/7/2017 4:06 PM
sledman5
Posted 4/7/2017 9:49 PM (#856306 - in reply to #856106)

Agree with what others said. We tried getting across the portage last year on the south end of whitefish and the portage system was almost impossible to move, with no boat on it. Not sure who takes care of it or runs it, but the system needs major work and improvements to become operable in my opinion.
Farmer Rick
Posted 4/8/2017 6:39 PM (#856364 - in reply to #856106)

I know the lodges that work on it. They put time fixing it every year then usually within a week it's screwed up again. They really just need to remove it and allow boats to just pass through the channel like it used to be. There'd be a lot more muskies in the south end of whitefish if it was open....

Edited by Farmer Rick 4/8/2017 6:40 PM
sledman5
Posted 4/9/2017 11:12 AM (#856421 - in reply to #856106)

Farmer, any idea why they ever decided to do a portage rather than leaving it in its natural state, like it had been for a million plus year before?
Farmer Rick
Posted 4/9/2017 1:33 PM (#856436 - in reply to #856106)

No idea. I bet Doug Johnson has some insight on that. He told me once he stopped fishing south end of whitefish once that portage went in...
Tamarack
Posted 4/9/2017 6:43 PM (#856462 - in reply to #856106)

From what I understood there was always a land bridge there, at one time or another it was excavated out, then to protect the integrity of the lake and to return it to its natural state it was decided to fill it in again. Not sure on the timing of all of this.
Hope this helps.
sledman5
Posted 4/10/2017 5:03 PM (#856605 - in reply to #856106)

Thanks Farmer and Tamarack for the response! Would love to fish Whitefish again as we go up a few times a year to the Morson area, but with that portage system in the shape it was in last year, figure those days are close to being done. Was up there about 7 years ago and the portage worked pretty well.
Lake Of The Woods
Posted 4/12/2017 10:48 PM (#856920 - in reply to #856106)
Subject: RE: LOTW Lake Trout

Back in 1986-87 while working for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources in the Kenora area I was part of the crew constructing the lock system at Turtle Portage.Originally it was constructed with gates that would open and close(lock system) by use of a manual capstan wheel and cable system.However,it was not as effective as anticipated in keeping the tainted water from Turtle Lake entering into the pristine waters of Whitefish Bay as well as the lock doors not working properly thus threatening the Lake Trout habitat and population.

It was then converted into the trolly system that exists and is still functioning today.Lake Trout fishing in Whitefish Bay remains very good.I remember when we were living at the construction site at Turtle Portage during the initial construction.In the evenings we would fish Whitefish Bay for Lake Trout and without too much effort catch the allowed limit which supplied the crew with a fresh Lake Trout dinner on a daily basis if wanted.

The trolly and cable system is functioning as reported by some local residents to me that live in the area.However,they mentioned that in 2013 the carriage was rebuilt to only transport boats up to 16 feet in length.If your vessel is over that size consider trailering the boat to Vic & Dots Camp and launching there.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Turtle Portage Lake,Channel & Whitefish Bay.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Turtle Portage Lake,Channel & Whitefish Bay.png (196KB - 473 downloads)
Lake Of The Woods
Posted 4/14/2017 2:25 AM (#857024 - in reply to #856106)
Subject: RE: LOTW Lake Trout

Here's a video showing how the system works,...when it works.

Turtle Portage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhxCYBzYUJU

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Tutrle Portage Channel.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tutrle Portage Channel.png (195KB - 458 downloads)
sledman5
Posted 4/14/2017 5:39 PM (#857082 - in reply to #856106)

Cool, thanks for posting your experiences LOTW!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)