Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Upper Michigan

Message Subject: Upper Michigan
Musky Face
Posted 3/31/2017 4:58 PM (#855610)
Subject: Upper Michigan

Heading up to visit the wife's family at the end of June and we are stay right by Lake Michigamme. Was wondering if it was worth pulling the boat from Minneapolis area up there? Is the population worth fishing for in there? Any help would be thanked! Or I might skip pulling the boat up and bring sum gear with and hire a good guide if anyone has some guide recommendations? Pm me if you like. Thanks again!
Yooper Padre
Posted 4/3/2017 7:18 AM (#855793 - in reply to #855610)
Subject: RE: Upper Michigan

I wouldn't say there aren't any musky left in Michigamme, but if they're still there, they are very few in number. (The DNR netted a tiger in one of their surveys, but I think that was about ten years ago.) The lake has some great rock structure. It holds some big pike and walleyes, but the walleye population has been declining and smallmouth numbers are up. (Pretty much the case all over the U.P. thanks to MIDNR mismanagement and commercial netting.) Good luck.

Fr. K
Musky_Mo16
Posted 4/3/2017 9:09 AM (#855802 - in reply to #855610)
Subject: Re: Upper Michigan

I know you were talking about michigamme but the paint river/paint river pond is right there and lake Emily is pretty close too. These are places I have been told to because I'm still looking for my first Muskie. I was up there last year and fished the paint river pond and got a follow. Didn't get a chance to fish Emily but I will be out there this summer. Emily isn't a big fish lake but supposedly it is packed with fish. I had a thread going on Chicagon lake up there but it turned into a thread about Emily. http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11...
Musky Face
Posted 4/3/2017 6:19 PM (#855870 - in reply to #855610)

Hey thanks for the replies! Emily sounds fun, but sounds like there are alot of smaller fish in there. Not that I don't mind that but I always like to know that I have a shot at a bigger ski. I read that previous thread and it sounds like Chicagon has sum nice fish in there.
Is there any good guides that you would recommend up there?
Thanks again!
Zib
Posted 4/3/2017 8:31 PM (#855886 - in reply to #855802)

Musky_Mo16 - 4/3/2017 10:09 AM

I know you were talking about michigamme but the paint river/paint river pond is right there and lake Emily is pretty close too. These are places I have been told to because I'm still looking for my first Muskie. I was up there last year and fished the paint river pond and got a follow. Didn't get a chance to fish Emily but I will be out there this summer. Emily isn't a big fish lake but supposedly it is packed with fish. I had a thread going on Chicagon lake up there but it turned into a thread about Emily. http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11...

The O.P. is asking about Lake Michigamme. Michigamme Lake is the lake that's near the Paint River or actually flows into it. There's also Michigamme Reservior.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 4/3/2017 9:06 PM (#855888 - in reply to #855870)

Musky Face - 4/3/2017 6:19 PM

Hey thanks for the replies! Emily sounds fun, but sounds like there are alot of smaller fish in there. Not that I don't mind that but I always like to know that I have a shot at a bigger ski. I read that previous thread and it sounds like Chicagon has sum nice fish in there.
Is there any good guides that you would recommend up there?
Thanks again!

I can't speak on the fishing since I'm a inexperienced muskie hunter but reports show that Emily has smaller fish. Chicagon supposedly has some giants. In their servers they got fish up to 48.5 inches I believe. I did have my boat in there just doing some fun fishing. We did catch a bunch of smallmouth and largemouth and a 4" walleye. We did take a couple casts at the skis but no results. (I'm sure I was just in the wrong spots and fishing wrong). But, the one thing I can say is that if you go in the summer, Chicagon gets swamped with jet skiers, water skiers, swimmers, and joy boaters. During the day it really is a pain to fish. I was there mid September and it was still packed. It defiantly has potential and is being stocked at a constant rate and could possibly become a big fish hotspot in the future.
elkslayer
Posted 4/10/2017 1:47 PM (#856578 - in reply to #855610)

Bruce Becker is an excellent guide in the Cisco chain of lakes near watersmeet, which is a bit of a drive from where your staying.

His mobile is 715-360-6001.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Jake

Edited by elkslayer 4/10/2017 1:55 PM
Yooper Padre
Posted 4/11/2017 5:27 AM (#856658 - in reply to #855610)

Seems like this thread is moving all over the place. Are you asking about Lake Michigamme, which is near Michigamme MI, Michigamme Lake (aka Lower Peavey) near Sagola, or Michigamme Reservoir near Crystal Falls?

Fr. K
Musky Face
Posted 4/14/2017 1:33 PM (#857056 - in reply to #855610)

Michigamme lake.
Yooper Padre
Posted 4/20/2017 8:52 PM (#859066 - in reply to #857056)

See private message.

Fr. K
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)