Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Your throwback routine?

Message Subject: Your throwback routine?
T3clay
Posted 2/13/2017 9:22 PM (#849663)
Subject: Your throwback routine?

Alright everybody, getting ready for the upcoming season and analyzing everything that happened last year. I think one thing that could put more fish in my boat it's coming up with the throwback routine for when I can't get a follower to commit. Feel like I'm pretty good at triggering but sometimes I feel like a lure change would be helpful. Last year I learned from one of my mentors that downsizing on throwback is usually a safe bet. But I'm curious what everybody's thoughts are. I seem to have the most trouble getting fish to commit when I'm throwing gliders. So the question is when you're throwing gliders what is your throwback lure of choice? I'm also curious as to what your throwback lure is when you're throwing other Baits? Any case I'm missing something any other info that you think would be helpful in my situation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody
dfkiii
Posted 2/13/2017 10:23 PM (#849668 - in reply to #849663)
Subject: Re: Your throwback routine?

A weagle can be deadly
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/13/2017 10:32 PM (#849669 - in reply to #849663)

I believe that your first chance is always your best chance, and the bait that moved the fish is usually the best one to seal-the-deal. I'm not big on sitting on fish and beating them up, I'm usually going to look for another fish fairly soon, unless smoke is pouring from it's ears (not to say I wouldn't come back). I may need that fish to eat someday, I don't need to camp on it and give it an education. Throwing other things never seems to work for me. I know many do not share my philosophy.
tkuntz
Posted 2/14/2017 9:30 AM (#849704 - in reply to #849663)

First thing I throw back is a swim jig like a jig-a-beast with a paddle tail shad body. If the fish came in hot I use longer faster snaps at the rod. If the fish was lazy I'll swim the jig more slowly with gentle bumps of the rod tip. This has definitely put fish in my net when the original lure doesn't get another look.

If that doesn't work I usually go back to the original lure it followed to gauge interest. If it follows again keep trying with the original lure. If not I mark the fish and come back during a moon peak, weather change or sun rise/set.
jasond
Posted 2/14/2017 10:24 AM (#849713 - in reply to #849704)

If there is some magic potion for throwbacks I haven't found it. Your 1st chance is your best in my opinion as well. Leaving the fish alone and coming back during a peak period (weather/moon) is higher odds than getting a fish to eat on a throwback immediately after the initial follow in my experience. Interested to hear from others on what might have worked as a throwback.
jvlast15
Posted 2/14/2017 10:42 AM (#849724 - in reply to #849663)

The only success on a throwback lure I have seen is when my father tosses a medussa or bulldawg at a fish that followed my bucktail. It works an annoying amount of time.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 2/14/2017 11:06 AM (#849727 - in reply to #849663)

Depends on how hot the fish was. If it came in hard and went around a few times, I'll likely throw a slow topwater like a Hawg or Creeper. If she doesn't eat that, or follows that back in, I'll leave and come back in 30 minutes to an hour. My success on throwback fish is less than 10% I'm sure, but it happens a few times every season. If the fish is "lazy" and comes in late or low, I usually don't throw anything back to her, just keep working a spot and come back later, depending on how big she was. Every situation is different.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/14/2017 11:44 AM (#849732 - in reply to #849663)

Like Pat said. Every situation is different. I think a lot of times, that first follow is your only chance. If you blew it, or the fish was not quite ready to eat, then going back in a half hour is too late. She will have eaten whatever else was around and become educated. That said, I'll always give a big fish a second or 3rd chance. A lot of times it's with a hawg wobbler, or a mid medusa in the summer. But it's all on the mood of the fish. Sometimes it's best to go back with a big bucktail, especially if there is a good wind and the fish should be active. Maybe if you're fishing in the fall and throwing big rubber, the best thing to do is go back at major with the same bait, or maybe just a different color.

I guess I would break it down like this:

Summer - fish followed a bucktail lazy in the AM. Go back at major and throw a similar bait. Still didn't bite? Try sunset with a topwater. If the fish was supper hot, give it a few minutes, re-situate the boat and go right back with the same bait. Catch her.

Fall - throw what works. Rubber, cranks, whatever you like. GO back with the same bait at major, and then again at other peak times until she's in the net...or you have to go home.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't waste too much time on semi-active fish unless it's a really big one.

Top H2O
Posted 2/14/2017 1:08 PM (#849743 - in reply to #849663)
Subject: RE: Your throwback routine?

Husky jerk rigged on a spinning rod with 50 lb line, larger hooks and split rings.
I've seen my buddy's from Chicago use this tactic many times with pretty good success over the years.
riverglide
Posted 2/14/2017 1:19 PM (#849744 - in reply to #849663)

Tubes are a good throw back. Had several intrested followers take tubes after swimsuits/bucktails. Most of the time, Id say throw back lures like soft plastics work when you get a fish to come in on a constant retrieve bait. Never had any success on throw backs to lazy followers on glide baits or soft plastics.
Sidejack
Posted 2/14/2017 2:32 PM (#849748 - in reply to #849744)

Lazy baits often git lazy followers.
Don't be afraid to give yer glider a big rip boat-side or a little further out to trigger um.
They're built fer speed so give it to um and let um be the predators they are ferchrissakes.
Muskie Kid
Posted 2/14/2017 5:08 PM (#849778 - in reply to #849663)

My approach to this depends on what bait gets followed. Sometimes something totally different of equal or smaller size works. However the bait that was thrown was followed for a reason. what was the action of the bait that was followed? Sometimes downsizing the same bait works, sometimes the exact same bait of a different color is key. Other times as I previously mentioned something totally different (meaning the action it has) works. It really all depends on how I read the fish on what decision will be made.

Basically it's a crap shoot...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)